• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT gone!

Oh yeah. There's now NINE model variants of just the Bonneville! I bought the base model white over blue tank. Mag wheels. It's a very lightly used 2014.

After 28 years riding BMWs, I just traded in my 08 RT for a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. Feels a bit strange not owning a BMW but I had become uncomfortable on the RT.

In August with 110,000 km I had to replace the drive shaft. There's $2560 (tax and labour in) gone. Several years ago with 50,000 km, I had to replace the final drive. BMW picked up a third of the cost (with the bike a year out of warranty) but that still cost me well over $2000. In between those two I had to replace the left handlebar switchgear; there goes somewhere around $800. My 98 RT was trouble free though I did start to have some ABS issues with 150,000 km but those were easily remedied with a couple of new sensors. My 87 RS went through two drive shafts and a final drive. So, three BMWs, three drive shafts and two final drives, thus my discomfort.

I was planning to downsize next year anyways, probably to an F700GS, but the latest drive shaft was the last straw - I just don't trust BMW anymore. They're not getting anymore of my money. It's too bad, they make great bikes with fantastic features, but there is no way I am paying a premium for shoddy workmanship and/or design. I wonder how many customers are walking away from the marque as I did.

The Tiger is a sweet bike. 95 hp and smooth, and faster than the RT except probably in a high speed roll-on. Cruise, traction control, heated grips, and a seat that seems comfortable (have only ridden it a short distance) unlike all my Beemers which all required an aftermarket seat to make them comfortable. This bike just fits!

To my friends: Sorry, I'll still be showing up at BMW rallies.

Is it spring yet?

I respect your feeling towards BMW. After your experience, i would feel the same. Is a shame that same problem persists after all these years.
I do believe that every single brand of bikes have their own set of problems. You wanted to downsize, so a 7-800cc is the best. Tiger is just like a GS. No drive shaft there! And for sure your friends will be happy to see you, no mater what you ride!! Good luck with your new ride!

Waiting for the new 1200. 2016 and 2017 are the same colors because they came out so late.:lurk I want new colors! Maybe 2018.

14 BMW's...

Several 100k overall. 2006 R12RT w/105k currently.She needs a good rehabbing about now, to be honest, but she deserves it.. Have never had a Final Drive Issue(replaced DS UV joints recently due to corrosion from faulty boot) on the 13 of them(First was 92 K75,only K Bike, 2 Airheads,1 Hexhead,10 OilHeads) that had a Paralever....More BMW's ridden more miles in more places all over the world by more people than any other big bikes....Try and take a Tour and see what the overwhelming majority of Tour Providers will put you on as first option. These guys existence depends on the bikes,and BMW is the overwhelming choice. .This is a very strong recommendation, in my eyes.....I have worked at one level or another in the MC Industry(Dealer Mgmt,Accessory/ Helmet Factory Rep,Accessories Importer and Tour/Rental Operator in France etc..) for almost twenty years,the majority of it BMW Associated,as well as Ridden,Sold or Serviced most every brand.. I simply find the BMW to be the most reliable, versatile and most rideable machines currently manufactured . Ride to Camp, Camp to Ride.Having said all of that... Best of luck, ride safe and have fun on your new Triumph.

Back