• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT gone!

KevinRT

KevinRT
After 28 years riding BMWs, I just traded in my 08 RT for a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. Feels a bit strange not owning a BMW but I had become uncomfortable on the RT.

In August with 110,000 km I had to replace the drive shaft. There's $2560 (tax and labour in) gone. Several years ago with 50,000 km, I had to replace the final drive. BMW picked up a third of the cost (with the bike a year out of warranty) but that still cost me well over $2000. In between those two I had to replace the left handlebar switchgear; there goes somewhere around $800. My 98 RT was trouble free though I did start to have some ABS issues with 150,000 km but those were easily remedied with a couple of new sensors. My 87 RS went through two drive shafts and a final drive. So, three BMWs, three drive shafts and two final drives, thus my discomfort.

I was planning to downsize next year anyways, probably to an F700GS, but the latest drive shaft was the last straw - I just don't trust BMW anymore. They're not getting anymore of my money. It's too bad, they make great bikes with fantastic features, but there is no way I am paying a premium for shoddy workmanship and/or design. I wonder how many customers are walking away from the marque as I did.

The Tiger is a sweet bike. 95 hp and smooth, and faster than the RT except probably in a high speed roll-on. Cruise, traction control, heated grips, and a seat that seems comfortable (have only ridden it a short distance) unlike all my Beemers which all required an aftermarket seat to make them comfortable. This bike just fits!

To my friends: Sorry, I'll still be showing up at BMW rallies.

Is it spring yet?

Enjoy the new ride. I also worry about FD, driveshaft, U joints, etc on my 07RT after reading of these problems. I have all the scheduled maintenance done on time by a reputable shop. Wish I didn't have to worry about it but there doesn't seem to be a real common denominator on what causes it. I have read water but wouldn't think that would apply so much to an RT.

After 28 years riding BMWs, I just traded in my 08 RT for a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. Feels a bit strange not owning a BMW but I had become uncomfortable on the RT.

In August with 110,000 km I had to replace the drive shaft. There's $2560 (tax and labour in) gone. Several years ago with 50,000 km, I had to replace the final drive. BMW picked up a third of the cost (with the bike a year out of warranty) but that still cost me well over $2000. In between those two I had to replace the left handlebar switchgear; there goes somewhere around $800. My 98 RT was trouble free though I did start to have some ABS issues with 150,000 km but those were easily remedied with a couple of new sensors. My 87 RS went through two drive shafts and a final drive. So, three BMWs, three drive shafts and two final drives, thus my discomfort.

I was planning to downsize next year anyways, probably to an F700GS, but the latest drive shaft was the last straw - I just don't trust BMW anymore. They're not getting anymore of my money. It's too bad, they make great bikes with fantastic features, but there is no way I am paying a premium for shoddy workmanship and/or design. I wonder how many customers are walking away from the marque as I did.

The Tiger is a sweet bike. 95 hp and smooth, and faster than the RT except probably in a high speed roll-on. Cruise, traction control, heated grips, and a seat that seems comfortable (have only ridden it a short distance) unlike all my Beemers which all required an aftermarket seat to make them comfortable. This bike just fits!

To my friends: Sorry, I'll still be showing up at BMW rallies.

Is it spring yet?

Holy cow! Over $6,000 to replace the final drive...you're kidding right?

Doesn't matter to me what you ride as long as you are riding and enjoying yourself.
I guess the real test is seeing how the Triumph holds up both mechanically and under your butt for the same mileage interval.
It's fun to ride different bikes, cars, pickup's and the like. Enjoy the new ride. Good luck with it.
OM

1988 RT 56K no major repairs, 1994 RS 74K replaced the clutch and 1st & 2nd gear $$$, 2005 RT 34K replaced fuel strip , covered by BMW even tho the warranty was out. 2010 RT with 24k and no issues so far. Knock on wood, I have had pretty good luck with BMW.

Will eventually pay more for drive chains than a one-time driveshaft ... lots, lots, lots more hassle along the way.

Will eventually pay more for drive chains than a one-time driveshaft ... lots, lots, lots more hassle along the way.

Hmmm. Agree on the hassle element, but not on the cost. Annie has three chain driven bikes. Chain and sprocket kit runs $180-$220. She can go 20-25k miles on a chain, many more on sprockets. Cost per 100,000 miles, assuming changing sprockets with each chain change, is $720 - $1,100. Throw in the cost of a chain tool at $75 and it is still far less than a FD failure.

Hmmm. Agree on the hassle element, but not on the cost. Annie has three chain driven bikes. Chain and sprocket kit runs $180-$220. She can go 20-25k miles on a chain, many more on sprockets. Cost per 100,000 miles, assuming changing sprockets with each chain change, is $720 - $1,100. Throw in the cost of a chain tool at $75 and it is still far less than a FD failure.
I don't see any hassle with chains- really. The exception was the chain (35?) on my first mini-bike.
One of the features of the chain and sprocket set-up is with an occasional glance, it's easy to spot an upcoming failure.
I've seen the FD failures and the crown bearing/seal problems on the BMW's......I wonder what would change with a two sided swing-arm arrangement?
OM

Don't see them as one- time driveshafts anymore.

Having replaced one of ours and a few others , I see it as a potential replacement item if someone is going to keep a bike and put some miles on them. Have one from a member here on an '05 right now that I know was not abused in any form...but it failed. Another IBA bud changed his out as a PM move on a 2013 GSA with around 80K.

And we have three chain drives now as well. They last a reasonable service interval if actually kept up with. Can swap the components and be rolling faster than a driveshaft failure.

KevinRT,
Hope you bond with that Tiger :wave

Motodan, hope you get on well with the Tiger. I spent 4 yrs throwing money at my 2012 Tiger abs and though much improved, the bike excelled at nothing. My RT is not the most exciting bike but it excels as a tourer. I did find the tiger reliable except for the idle stepper motor which the new models changed. You'll need a good seat and complete new suspension for decent ride and handling.

I didn't realize the driveshafts cost so much now.
We had the driveshafts replaced on our 1991 K75Ss when they had 60,000 or 70,000 miles and seems like the part was around $200 on each bike.

I thought about getting a Tiger 800 this past year.

Test rode a leftover 2015 XRsomething. It was nice.

I didn't buy one because the one I wanted, a 2016 800XRT, listed for $14,500.
A bit steep for a chain drive....
And Triumphs seem to depreciate fairly quickly.

It had all the bells and whistles though... TPM, ABS, Cruise, Heated grips, Heated seats, LED driving lights

Leftover year old 800s seem to drop 1,500- 2,000 which puts them at a more appealing price point.

Maybe next time.

Good luck with yours OP... I hear ya.

1992 K1100LT w/ aftermarket springs/shocks and Russell saddle. Only 24 years old. Coupled with a 'donor bike' for some occasional pieces here and there I should be good for another ten years at least. This has been a reliable tourer for two souls and a wee little trailer. Upkeep modest, reliable components and still a joy to ride. Like my clothing: function over form :heh - Bob

I can understand your frustration, good luck on the Triumph. I've put a combined 100k miles on two Triumphs with little or no problems except chains and tires. I added a Scott Oiler to my old Trophy and cut chain replacements intervals in half, good bit of kit, well worth looking into.

My 2011 R1200r has been somewhat disappointing in comparison. Fuel level gauge went bad 3 miles from the dealership and in only 28k miles I've had to completely disassemble the bike to replace a transmission input shaft seal, counterbalance shaft seal, and the oil soaked clutch disk. These two repairs IMOP are absolute baloney. Its the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, power band is the most usable, handling, braking all fit like a glove as much as I'd like to kick it to the curb, I cannot, I'll buy more tools and service manuals and keep her going.

Good luck with your new ride.

I didn't realize the driveshafts cost so much now.
We had the driveshafts replaced on our 1991 K75Ss when they had 60,000 or 70,000 miles and seems like the part was around $200 on each bike.

They increased from an already pricey $800 to $1100 in the last few years.

I put a lightly used one in mine, playing the odds game for now.

Agreed. Have had more than one chain-driven machine, and have worn out my share of sprockets. But peanuts compared to costs of Final Drives and Driveshafts.

Thought the math was a little BMW-slanted. :scratch

Good luck with your Triumph Kevin! I think you and it will be just fine. The modern Triumphs are very reliable.
Election day I bought a Triumph Bonneville which will keep the RT-P company in the garage. A bit easier to hop on the Bonnie and do the 7 mile trip to work than hauling the RT-P out for such a short trip. Modern chains don't bother me as much as the old ones did 40 years ago, but I only ride on the street these days and that makes it easier too.
The dealer I used in NY State told me that demand has been awesome, with Triumph leading all brands for new NY registrations.

Back