• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rough idle in rain, HES problem?

irish

Registered Schmoozer
I'm stretching my own diagnostic capabilities on this one and I thought I would send it to the Hive Mind for suggestions. The bike is a 2002 R 1150 RT. I do all my routine maintenance and only go to a dealer when something strange comes up that I can't resolve.

A few weeks ago I took a trip around Lake superior. The bike has had no problems all year but on the first morning in a downpour an issue came up. I was riding at highway speed for a few minutes and had to slow coming through town. As I pulled in the clutch and let off the throttle to downshift the engine stalled. I tried to bump start it a couple times by letting out the clutch that had no effect. I was then able to restart it with the starter button while still rolling. Prior to and after this point the bike was running normally.

We had nearly continuous rain the first two days of our trip and I had a similar experience I think three more times, all when slowing way down for highway off ramps. The last four days of our trip were dry and had absolutely no issues. The next time I rode in the rain near my house I payed close attention to the idle. Bike normally idles around 1100 RPM and smoothly. When riding in the rain And stopped at a stoplight I noticed the idle had dropped to around 800 RPM and was somewhat rough. On a dry day yesterday I had a bike at operating temperature on the center stand in my driveway. It was idling smoothly at 1100 RPM. When I sprayed water near the bottom of the alternator cover where I understand the hall affect sensor to be I did not see any effect. When I sprayed water near the top of the alternator cover kind of behind the front shock the idle dropped down to around 800 and was a rough.

What should I do as a next step? The Hall effect sensor is my primary suspect. The bike will hit 80,000 miles today. Could ignition coil failure produce these symptoms? An independent mechanic who helps me sometimes offered to test the coil resistance for me. If those test fine my thought is to replace the hall effect sensor given the symptoms and the bike's age and mileage. Make sense? What else sould I check and what am I missing? :scratch

Miles, years and symptoms all seem (to me) like classic HES issues. HES replacement is not very difficult. If you want to save some bucks and you're willing to be parked for a couple of weeks, contact GSADDICT and he will rewire your Hall Sensor with better than new wiring harness. I think he also now offers a swap of your HES for a repaired unit he keeps on the shelf. Slightly higher cost for the faster turn around.

Miles, years and symptoms all seem (to me) like classic HES issues. HES replacement is not very difficult. If you want to save some bucks and you're willing to be parked for a couple of weeks, contact GSADDICT and he will rewire your Hall Sensor with better than new wiring harness. I think he also now offers a swap of your HES for a repaired unit he keeps on the shelf. Slightly higher cost for the faster turn around.

I agree with everything in the above quote. Another route to take is to purchase a new Hall Sensor and send yours out for a rebuild by GSADDICT. You could then keep it as a spare, or sell it. The link below has hall sensors for a reasonable price as well.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/524.htm

Just be aware to order the correct one as the wiring harness connectors are different for 1100's and 1150's
You also may want to get this done before your caught off guard somewhere where help is miles away

GSaddict did mine for me a short while ago. 1996 1100 and 40,000 miles on it. The original wiring was so bad on it I was surprised it was still running all the time. The work he did was just outstanding. I was going to post the pictures of the rebuilt one for anyone who was considering having him rebuild theirs. It was around $100 dollars to have him do it, and worth every penny.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds like there is consensus on the HES being the likely culprit. Appreciate the info and suggestions! Hoping for some spare time this weekend to start getting this resolved.

Back