• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding in groups- the pros and cons-

I go on a group ride about once a week during the summer. It is guys I have ridden with for years, although there is always a new rider or two. My answer for group rides is to take up the last spot. No one behind me, and I can lollygag and ride my own ride without someone riding my butt. I hate riding in the middle of the pack, and not interested in leading either, but I occasionally will. The funny thing is the regular group ride is run by the local HOG. It is an open ride so they allow all brands to participate. I have lead the ride a couple times on my BMW.

Funny thing. A few years back I was on a Harley site and they were talking about group rides. One guy mentioned the 1 second, 2 second rule for stagger. I mentioned you can ride farther apart, the 1 second, 2 second is as close as you should ride. He got all over me and said the group he rides with requires you to ride at the 1 second, 2 second stagger, no farther apart, like a military formation. He told me I wouldn't be allowed to ride with his group if I didn't follow their rules. I told him at least we had one thing we could agree on, I wouldn't be riding with them!:rofl

kbasa - your link is not downloading your video.

(I didn't know you could post videos on SmugMug... do you pay extra for that?)

Nope. I've got some stuff I made up there. They don't seem to care.

Let's try this one:

[video]https://kbasa.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Videos/GoPro-Videos/i-N3RmMHX/A[/video]

I have been roped into leading rides a few times. No big rides, just a dozen or so. I would plot the route along with- address of where we were going, pertinent cell numbers, the request that if someone drops out there is a notification, the expected time for the event (lunch etc) and perhaps gas stops.
This is photocopied and given to each rider/bike.
A bit of effort but helps with a successful ride.
OM

I've run a bunch and I always require a rider's huddle prior to leaving.

I talk about where we're going and who the lead rider is, as well as other riders that might be ridding tail or in the middle of the pack so everyone knows who they are.

I talk about maintaining distance and if someone wants by, just let them by. I talk about staggered formation and as you come to a turn, you wait for the person behind you to show up before you leave, so nobody gets lost. Phone numbers, destination address and the importance of telling someone you're leaving the ride if you decide to depart partway through.

I also talk about where to put yourself in the group. The fast folks will be up front because I think that putting new and/or slow riders out front is a great way to make them super nervous as the fast people fill their mirrors.

If I know there's damage to the road or sand or whatever kind of obstacles, I talk about those.

I've always been brutally punctual. If I'm running the ride, 9am means side stands up at 9 with a rider's huddle 10 or 15 minutes earlier. If we have a mailing list for the group, we can send route sheets or GPS routes around, if appropriate. (personally, I kinda hate GPS, but you do you).

Mostly, a successful and safe ride starts with literally everyone being on the same page. If you have a lead rider team that's worked together before, you can have people spread over a long stretch of road, everyone riding at their own pace and having a great time.

It's an excellent way to organize a ride to eat. Gather, go for a ride for a couple hours, show up to a place that knows you're coming, have a great and fun meal, then everybody can split for home however they'd like.

It's not a full day commitment, either, which makes it easy for busy young folks to get out on a weekend morning for a few hours.

Related: I keep thinking we need a kind of Bikes and Beans like car folks have Cars and Coffee. Probably deserves its own thread.

Been in groups, solo, day rides to multi state traversing and an occasional surrounding by other groups by chance. They are all different and I know when I’m ready to exit… even when solo :lol

Some groups do well, some are awful from the start. I rode tailgunner on many club rides and got to see it all. I have led club rides and even with a long pre ride speech, know that it’s up to chance. Have backed away from that role in the last few years as the stress of running point does have some responsibility I don’t have patience for anymore. When the plan is to stay in smaller groups and at the first traffic signal that goes awry, it typically doesn’t get better. Looking in the mirror to see half the group in the other lane blocking it is maddening. Some folks are just clueless, even with reading handouts or a book with pictures and diagrams.
It’s not brand specific at all and no one can claim superiority by those choices. The scariest riders show up in all the gear with exceptions to a certain no gear attitude by marketing subset :whistle
I rode in those groups earlier in life and understand mob mentality. Even running with grade schoolbuds on Honda 90’s to 350’s , we were idiots.

H and I ride a lot together and know each other’s traits enough to rarely have an issue ( and when it does, probably on me because testosterone can be the problem)
We travel with a core group for years that has diminished in size, was eight at one point. Once again, riders we know and trust which has always been a good time. We can critique our dumb move of the day and still laugh at each other. Lately it’s good to have a partner to help pick up the bike at the hotel parking lot :lol

Me

I am a solo rider, no one near me seems to ride BMW's. When I do find another guy or gal to ride with the rule is stay well back, and keep me in sight, I will watch for your headlight in my mirror. Just like in my car and truck, I keep well back and give lots of room.

If I want to talk, it is at a stop or a light. There is no good reason to ride close to each other. No, I don't do toy runs and such because I see the way some other people ride and act, safer to keep them at more than a bike's length. Not everyone knows how to ride that rides. St.

I guess I feel lucky that there are all kinds of riders here on all kinds of bikes, so if I want, I usually have someone to ride with.

Me and some friends heading south on California Highway 1, just south of Tomales, California. The bakery is a regular weekend hang point, so sometimes we all wind up heading back about the same time.

I haven't been to that bakery in a long, long time. It's a good place.

I haven't been to that bakery in a long, long time. It's a good place.

There’s a new bakery there, with decent pastries, but also great breads. Later in the day, you can get a pizza and a glass of wine or a beer.

My current fave is Brickmaiden Breads in Pt. Reyes Station. Great coffee, absolutely amazing scones, tarts, muffins, etc. It’s stuff you’d expect to see in a nice French Bakery. Great coffee, too, using locally roasted beans.

Nope. I've got some stuff I made up there. They don't seem to care.

Let's try this one:

[video]https://kbasa.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Videos/GoPro-Videos/i-N3RmMHX/A[/video]

OK Boomer… :ha

Your video is password protected! :D

FYI....

I did not start this thread. The OP has deleted his original posting to which I had the honour of responding first. And group riding is STILL a bad idea. And that's not hostile.

FYI....

I did not start this thread. The OP has deleted his original posting to which I had the honour of responding first. And group riding is STILL a bad idea. And that's not hostile.

Yeah, it just ended up that way. The Moderators do not edit postings so a bit of a cure would be for you to edit your post with something like- “continued from the original thread which is here”- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...yyyy-down-the-road-especially-in-a-group-ride
OM

Group riding, some like it, some don't, some can't and some shouldn't.
Leading or closing group rides, I've done that. I even got paid to do it. And that is a job, not a pastime, there's no real pleasure in that.

With a group of friends that ride regularly together, it can be fun. With riders from different backgrounds, unknown to each other, not so much.
If you set the rules from the start, it can work. However a lot of riders are unable/unwilling to follow simple rules so they shouldn't ride in groups.
In my book, that's OK, ride alone and ride to your own pace.

That is why I prefer riding with the same partner.

Related: I keep thinking we need a kind of Bikes and Beans like car folks have Cars and Coffee. Probably deserves its own thread.

I have noted that you've stated this concept for years and it's been ignored.

Check this out https://motorcyclesandcoffee.com/

Clearly, if done in conjunction with local clubs and Motorrad dealers, this could be a very successful recruiting mechanism for the BMW MOA, especially for younger riders who can't get away for weeks, or even weekends at a time to attend rallies.

Last edited:
IMHO, decent group rides aren't a parade, but have typically been a big group that kind of breaks up into little groups of 3 to 5 bikes riding together.

I agree with you, and will relate a short story of how this became a rather divisive issue in the Georgia club when I was VP and then Prez.

We had a group of members that were very much into control, and another group of members that were very much into not-so-controlling. The two halves were banging heads with each other all the time over (among many things) club rides.

The control people really wanted to do club rides "formally"... closely-spaced riders in staggered formation, ride leader, sweep, no passing, no speeding, no passing on double-yellows.

The not-so-controlling people really resisted that and didn't play all that well on club rides.

Compounding the problem, this was at the time when liability litigation was getting way out of control, and the club's leadership was getting really worried about being held liable for crashes on club rides. We got all wrapped around our axles on this, and wound up with a whole bunch of riding rules and liability release forms one had to sign that were a real buzz-kill.

So.... I tried to create compromise by having club rides where people could ride "according to club rules" or just ride together informally, with non-rules riders meeting up with everyone at the pre-determined lunch location. You only had to sign one liability release form, each year, as you renewed your membership. (Lawyers talk, bullsh*t walks...)

That seemed to work pretty well, and lasted a long time. I've since moved away and am no longer a member of the Georgia club, so I am not sure what they do now.

And group riding is STILL a bad idea. And that's not hostile.

Everybody has their own risks and reward criteria. Just because YOU think group riding is a bad idea for YOU doesn't mean it's a bad idea for everyone under all circumstances. While your comment may not be hostile, most blank statements like that, IMO, are antagonistic. It may not be your intent, but it's the way it is received by some. It's like those individuals who just blanketly say, motorcycle riding is a bad idea.

Everybody has their own risks and reward criteria. Just because YOU think group riding is a bad idea for YOU doesn't mean it's a bad idea for everyone under all circumstances. While your comment may not be hostile, most blank statements like that, IMO, are antagonistic. It may not be your intent, but it's the way it is received by some. It's like those individuals who just blanketly say, motorcycle riding is a bad idea.

Ones perception becomes their reality, it's not necessarily a reality but it's their reality.

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time. I learned to not be all that concerned about someone else's perceived reality.

I don't dance around people, as I don't really care what they think. It doesn't change my world one bit. :laugh

Group rides are going to happen, whether any of us join them or not.
While many of us probably know how to ride safely with others, new riders may not. For them, a pamphlet on group riding etiquette might be very useful and possibly help avoid misunderstanding or even injury.

I respect your opinion.

I have a thick skin. Or haven't you noticed? :D

My experience with riders who are accustomed to riding in structured “close order” groups is that sooner or later they will attempt to pass me in my own lane, even when riding in a group of only two or three, and that’s an absolute deal-ender for me. I never ride with them again.

Best,
DeVern

Back