• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Gear repairs

roy

Riding pants repairs:

I am need of some new riding pants (over pants style) and am interested in which brands offer service and repairs after the warranty expires.

I have done some searches on this subject and at present the only brand that seems to offer this service is Aerostitch. I know First Gear does not which is why I looking for replacements. In my case, the First Gear zippers keep failing. Four in two years and less than 30 K miles. Note: Might be the Tired Old Fat Man putting them on.

Does BMW, RevÔÇÖit, Olympia, etc. offer this service? I would rather spend a few dollars more for a product that will last.

TIA

I needed the velcro replaced on my Kilimanjaro jacket and some tears mended on my Overpants. I just looked for a good alterations shop, carried my gear to them and asked if they could do the work. When they looked at the gear they first thought I was a fireman but after explaining it was motorcycle gear they said they would give it a try. Their only question was about getting their needles through the material. After two weeks they called and asked me to come take a look. They did excellent work. I asked about zipper replacement as mine is starting to hang up sometimes and they said it wouldn't be a problem now that they knew how to work with the material.

Thanks

John & Bill,
thanks for the advice. I am torn between replacing my existing pants or trying to get them repaired. Have talked to a couple of alterations shops and they would not try since to them the material appeared to be to heavy for their machines.

Bill, the fireman comment got me thinking. I will talk to a couple of volunteer firemen and see where they get there gear repaired.

Roy

John & Bill,
thanks for the advice. I am torn between replacing my existing pants or trying to get them repaired. Have talked to a couple of alterations shops and they would not try since to them the material appeared to be to heavy for their machines.

Bill, the fireman comment got me thinking. I will talk to a couple of volunteer firemen and see where they get there gear repaired.

Roy

Good idea....Another thought...find a shop that also alters leathers. They have the machines and needles heavy enough to do the kind of work you require.
Another source of good shops might be a local dry cleaners. They usually have a good network of shops who repair all kinds of clothing. Also, they usually know who do the best work in the area. Good luck.

Riding pants repairs:

Does BMW, RevÔÇÖit, Olympia, etc. offer this service? I would rather spend a few dollars more for a product that will last.

What a coincidence! Yesterday I sent an email to Rev'It because my Dakar pants developed a small tear at the seam in the crotch. I bought the pants in March (along with a Rev'It Offtrack jacket) so I thought it was kind of soon for a seam to be failing.

Since I don't have any of the tags anymore and I couldn't find any warranty info on their website I asked them about the warranty and how I would go about getting the pants repaired. I was extremely surprised to get a reply saying "send us the size of your pants and we'll get you another pair out immediately." What great customer service! And the products are wonderful too.

The Offtrack/Dakar combo is a lot like the BMW Rallye gear but about half the price. And I don't like the big roundels on the Rallye gear...make me feel like a poser.

I'm not sure what the repair policy is @ www.motoport.com but I love thier 1k denier cordura pants breathable as denim in hot weather w/oodles (tech-term)of armor & as of 2yrs.ago no xtra $ for custom sizing !!

Back