• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding gear choices for cross country trip in July

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I presently have a BMW Air Shell jacket which is comfy in hot weather and with the liner does pretty well in cooler weather. Also a Rev'It Cayenne jacket (2 liners) and Dakar pants (again 2 liners). Lastly, a Gerbing's jacket liner for when it dips below 30. While this gives me a lot of choices for rides of a few days, I'm looking at taking just one outfit when riding to the Oregon coast next July. From Vermont over the Great Lakes, then Minnesota to Oregon via North Dakota, Montana and Idaho, I can expect to encounter pretty varied conditions...and some of those mountain passes will probably be pretty nippy still.

Those of you into long distance riding, what is your choice and why? Should I take both outfits? Would a one-piece Stich worn over various layers be best?

What's the collective wisdom?

Pete

The last couple years I've been using a Tour Master Flex II jacket, which is a mesh jacket that has a zip-on waterproof cover. Along with that, I carry the Gerbings jacket liner. And I have a pair of Fieldsheer mesh pants with a rain liner. I wear TCX (formerly Oxtar) Gore-Tex boots. I have a pair of waterproof gloves and a pair of light ellkskin gloves. This is my touring gear, and should reasonably see me through nearly any circumstance I would actually consider riding in.

Before that, I had a BMW Savannah II jacket, which had extensive vents and a Gore-Tex liner; a pair of breathable Olympia pants with a waterproof liner; the Gerbings; and BMW Gore-Tex boots.

When travelling, I wear light nylon/man-made wicking slacks and shirt. These have the added advantage that they tend to release stains very well, and can be washed and dried quickly. I also have wicking briefs.

My latest purchase are a couple pairs of Techsox. My feet tend to sweat a lot and these keep them really dry, even in the Gore-Tex boots when it's hot and sticky out.

This isn't what you're asking about, but I made a discovery at the MOA rally last month that has made an enormous difference in my seat comfort on long rides.
I have about 300,000 miles on stock BMW seats and I learned years ago that the key to seat comfort is wearing some kind of support under your riding pants.
I've worn spandex bicycle shorts under my riding pants for the past 10 years and was generally happy with them, except they promote jock itch and don't wick perspiration away from my body.
Wandering through the vendor buildings at the rally, I found myself watching a demonstration of LDComfort riding underwear that thoroughly impressed me. Besides providing the support needed to avert "seat burn," they have incredibly efficient wicking action that leaves the inner fabric bone dry while the outer layer can be dripping wet.
I won't belabor the point, but you can learn more and see videos at http://ldcomfort.com/
I've done several long rides since the rally and haven't had a second of seat discomfort with them. They also have an innovative fly, something missing from bicycle shorts.

Attachments

• ldcomfort_thumb[2].jpg
    ldcomfort_thumb[2].jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 290
Nekkid at Night

I went to the Spokane Rally from NC to Duluth, MN and then pretty much by your planned route. In Duluth, I bought some overpants from Andy to go with my perforated leather jacket. They turned out to be a little warm so I switched back to the mesh overpants I had worn until then. The only cool was at the peak of Beartooth Pass. The rest of the ride was warm, with temps nudging 100 in Idaho. I'd recommend perforated or mesh gear, your gerbing, just in case, and a rain suit. I think your 'stich might be too warm.

I've gone to the west coast a half dozen times in the last three years, including the way you've indicated you'll go. When I've ridden in July/August, I've never brought any heated clothing. I wear a BMW Rallye II Pro jacket and pants. Even though they come with Gore-tex liners, I also leave those at home. I do, however, bring a wind shirt (made of Windstopper fabric, a Gore-tex brand) for anytime it might be cool. I've been up over 12,500 feet and the wind shirt under the Rallye jacket was fine. I also carry a set of rain gear. You could always put the jacket on if you got cold, though I've never needed to do that at that time of year. When I've headed west in May, I've brought my jacket liner and my heated vest. I wear some sort of microfibre T-shirt under the jacket and LD Comfort shorts under the pants. My riding socks also come up to my knees and my boots are gore-tex lined. Whatever you bring, I'd say just bring one suit. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Good information, thanks!

John -- I wear LD Comfort shorts, always, and am a firm believer in them. My question wasn't so much about saddle comfort as it was about the temperature range I might run into. I ride till the snow falls here in Vermont, even if that's single digits, but have never done long distances below about 45.

Sounds like I should focus more on getting my saddle right.

Thanks again,

Pete

Less is better:)

When packing, less is always better if you can manage the pros/cons of it all. The Western Ranges do indeed get very cold in the weeee hours of the day, SO. Ride when its warmer out or carry some electrics(vest or liner), which pack really small in most cases. I also like a waterproof suit, so NO rainsuit is required and I do not have to stop, every time a rain cloud appears. Mesh jackets are really good and I wore one all the way East this year and back, even in rain with the mesh one on:). Got a little damp, but felt so good in the summer heat and the rain squalls were 5 miles in/out:), so I cared little about the wet getting in my mesh jacket. It was mininmal. All day rain, forget it and you'll need the better all weather gear on. All my travels, I've found darn few days like this, but you know! My first choice is wear the all weather suits, which can be well vented to the 90's outside for me. After that, I'm in my long sleeve shirts, or unpacking the mesh jacket, which I do not like packing two jackets. I did it this summer and it worked out, but extra stuff to carry:(. Two up and this gets impossible, packing 2 sets for both. Solo, not near as bad. THIS WAS my first trip anywhere, wearing the mesh jacket for nearly the entire trip(a month) and it worked. My heavy backup was stored and at the ready. I did not even pack the electric vest or any liners for this one to Tenn...The Oregon and other Northern states is another story entirely, so be wise and be warm:). Its easier to get cooled off, vs getting warmer when its really cool out. Its really cool coming through the Rockies and the Pacific Coast too, is remarkably cold in summer. Redmond is inland and nights are cold, but days are really very nice, not hot usually. Two hours to the coast and you need warmth, most often, within 5-10 miles of the ocean. See ya out here next time. We ride year round out here and one of the FIRST lessons of riding the WEST is carry enough gear to be warm, if you're travelling around the states out here. 100 degrees to near freezing in the "same days ride", is common in the West in summer. Randy

You have some great advice above regarding 'keeping it simple' and getting maximum flexibility from your setup.

My only additional comment would be that upper body warmth can vary depending on the wind protection of the bike you ride. I ride an 07 GSA, and while the protection is pretty good, I would never leave home on a long trip without my Gerbings jacket liner. An early morning in the mountains can be cold even in July/August, and I have occasionally set out without the liner, only to stop and put it on because I was cold at highway speeds.

My setup: Savannah II jacket and Santiago pants (I am sold on the versatility of dynatec material), gore-tex liners for both; Santiago boots and two sock system;
Gerbings jacket liner and gloves; BMW Airflow, Held Storm, and Lee Parks gloves ( I guess I cheat a little on the gloves), and +1 for the LD and other hi-tech base layers.

Back