• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

Yes you can be out of network for tricare, and there are a lot of providers that simply won't take it anymore. However, Tricare for life, is a different animal. My understanding is when your Tricare flips from Tricare to Tricare for life it reverts back to the old champus insurance, which we all know was much better. Don't quote me on that one, it's how my mom explained it when her and dad's went to Tricare for life.

Yes you can be out of network for tricare, and there are a lot of providers that simply won't take it anymore. However, Tricare for life, is a different animal. My understanding is when your Tricare flips from Tricare to Tricare for life it reverts back to the old champus insurance, which we all know was much better. Don't quote me on that one, it's how my mom explained it when her and dad's went to Tricare for life.

I've never met a 20-yr retiree that has opted out of Tricare for a different plan.

I have Tri-Care and use it as my secondary health insurance. My primary is Alaska Care; costs me nothing and is a much better plan in my estimation.

Not saying I agree, but I believe his point is that the mediocre VA level of care is what one can expect from O-care.

THANKS KEVIN............:thumb.........Will never understand what is so hard about plain English...........:banghead:scratch:scratch

Actually, it's what my DOCTORS are saying about the future of health care in the USA if and when the O-CARE standard of health care becomes the norm.......
My VA primary care doc says this, as does my pain doc who treats a lot of vets, and my GP doc who takes care of a lot of vets and is a vet............It's nothing to argue about. Just what Docs are saying.

My original point was that thanks goodness for Tri-care and Medicare for myself as it does not eat up my retirement funds. Until my wife becomes 65 and eligible for medicare, the copay on my Tri-care can and does eat me alive.................So, before one retires and looses medical benefits, make sure one is covered the best one can be...........THAT IS MY ORIGINAL POINT...............the VA mediocre care is something I am also blessed with as a "fall back"..........

I have Tri-Care and use it as my secondary health insurance. My primary is Alaska Care; costs me nothing and is a much better plan in my estimation.

Health insurance as a retirement benefit is a rapidly dying animal, especially no-cost health insurance. I'll be one of the lucky ones, I'll be able to purchase insurance thru my current employer for a bit under $500 per month after retirement from this job. For employees that started after 2000, that benefit was replaced with a contribution to a savings account.

You guys are lamenting changes to insurance coverage that is relatively rare these days

Last edited:
I'm 63, and have been an attorney for 38 years. My work is interesting, and I can control work load, type of work, and the stress levels of the work. I have a wonderful group of clients...

When I wrote this, 7 years ago, I never thought I'd see the day when I hung it up. Then my wife died, two years ago, and it was therapeutic to have a place to go where I could socialize with co workers, clients, and others, and exercise my mind.

But now I've reached a point where I just can't do the deals any more, so I'm cutting myself loose. As Mike Ditka said: "...the highs aren't what they used to be, and the lows are a lot lower...."

I'm looking forward to this: I'll ride a bit more, ski a bit more, work out a bit more, and spend more time with the new lady in my life. Hell, maybe I'll even demo an XR....:D

And I'm wondering how Hugh is making out....:)

When I wrote this, 7 years ago, I never thought I'd see the day when I hung it up. Then my wife died, two years ago, and it was therapeutic to have a place to go where I could socialize with co workers, clients, and others, and exercise my mind.

But now I've reached a point where I just can't do the deals any more, so I'm cutting myself loose. As Mike Ditka said: "...the highs aren't what they used to be, and the lows are a lot lower...."

I'm looking forward to this: I'll ride a bit more, ski a bit more, work out a bit more, and spend more time with the new lady in my life. Hell, maybe I'll even demo an XR....:D

And I'm wondering how Hugh is making out....:)

So nice you have made it to the “other side” of things. I hope it’s clear for the rest of your journey.
Gary

congrats on retirement! after 41 years in the military, i retired 6 months ago. retirement life is GREAT!!!

I was thinking about this thread and Hugh recently as well. Almost two years since the last post here.

Anyways,
Congrats on taking the leap and having some sort of a plan. XR huh? :thumb

I miss the regimented routine after ten years...nah, not really:whistle

Same here.

I walked out the police station front doors in Spring of 2006.

I've lived more life in the last 13 years than I did in the previous 30. :thumb

Cheers on Your Retirement!

Just keep busy. Some relax too much; others can't find the time to relax.

I worked for many years at PERSCOM; just make the most of Every Day You're Given.

See ya around North America; perhaps in Lebanon, TN!

Ciao! Phil in Huntsville
(quite near Redstone Arsenal)
USAF (ret)

I pulled the plug at age 59 in 2004, Two stints doing emergency duty with a distressed former employer post retirement for a few months happened with excellent remumeration. Then I did a couple of consulting gigs and then a couple of such other offers declined! My advice now is retire early and often.

We did benefit to a huge extent because Voni could stay on her employer (school district's) health plan at our expense until she reached 65.

To everybody listening - go out at the top of your game. Not when you have withered and folks want to see you gone.

Last edited:
Funny kinda…..sittin here in the Everglades while it's 25 up in Georgia and the hired hand is struggling to get the tractor goin so she can move a round bale for the mules.....Tough life for sure as we figure if we are gonna paddle or sail today. lolol.....was a very tough day as I tossed my keys on the principals desk instead of kow tow to some kids parents who were complaining about the way I talk to their "wonder child"...….
Havent looked back and just keep doing what I want to do...……..Life is GRAND AND GOD IS BETTER...…...Dennis

Glad to hear you're doing well and finally stepping away from work Rin.

I'm exactly one year away from retirement now. I'll be 55. I know its younger than many are lucky enough to retire, but I'll have 30 years of service and given the physical and mental effects a career in firefighting deals, it's enough. I still enjoy the work and my crew, but I'm looking forward to a new chapter with more time for my dreams.

Thanks for the best wishes, everybody, and I won't have any problem keeping busy. I had a good run of +45 years, and the work was satisfying.

My main project will be to figure out why I can't paste pictures into V Bulletin and Xenforo any more, :D but that should be an easy task for my IT guy.

XR huh? :thumb henzilla

My financial advisors are working on a plan that will enable me to spend more money....:D But we'll see.

Last edited:
I envy you "retired" guys. I'll turn 55 just before the Rally this year, and I've made the decision that I've got 3 to 5 years left, just like the inmate said ....... "I can do that time standing on my head".

And your Codger Bike is plenty fast. :)

You know, that thing embarrassed a couple of well-heeled Ducati riders in red/green/white leathers on Georgia Hwy. 60. They had more money than skill. They segmented the turns, hauled arse on the straights and braked into the turns. After I passed them, they were too embarrassed to pull in at Two Wheels Only.

It does run and corner very well. But it has 1/4 the power of the XR.

Back