• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

Retirement is still a long way off for me, but there is a whole lotta wisdom in this thread. I'm glad I stumbled on to it and took the time to read it.

Surely am NOT going to change the subject of the thread from "Retirement" to the subject of the VA medical care for the folks that have served their country. Is it adequate?....what is that???.........Can only report for myself and NOT for anyone else. I guess if finding out if I am still breathing or not is adequate then yes, I can relate that to someone else; but WAITING FOR 190 DAYS for an MRI to identify which facets in my spine are "injectable" to relieve pain is not quite what I would consider tolerable. I am the one with level 8 pain while waiting for those injections......

.Oh, but the VA just started the "Choice" program for just this problem. Guys that live more than 40 miles from their provider or having to wait more than 30 days for treatment of a condition can go see a local provider and the VA will pay for that..............Only catch is they pay less than what a provider will accept. In this particular situation I have been waiting since Jan 4, 2016 for the "Choice" program to get back to me with information, appointment, or what to do........This is after my VA doc called and put the RUSH on the folks at the "Choice" office that is responsible for getting me help...............YEP, maybe for your brother the VA is adequate, he is breathing and all; but for others it does leave others expecting more.........

So, the original concept of welcome to Obamacare and it's consequences is just to compare to the VA medical care now......Have a copay insurance for your medicare so you can go to a doctor of choice in your retirement........

For me, I am blessed that I am not dependent upon the VA coverage for my healthcare..........God bless....Dennis

Surely am NOT going to change the subject of the thread from "Retirement" to the subject of the VA medical care for the folks that have served their country. Is it adequate?....what is that???.........Can only report for myself and NOT for anyone else. I guess if finding out if I am still breathing or not is adequate then yes, I can relate that to someone else; but WAITING FOR 190 DAYS for an MRI to identify which facets in my spine are "injectable" to relieve pain is not quite what I would consider tolerable. I am the one with level 8 pain while waiting for those injections......

.Oh, but the VA just started the "Choice" program for just this problem. Guys that live more than 40 miles from their provider or having to wait more than 30 days for treatment of a condition can go see a local provider and the VA will pay for that..............Only catch is they pay less than what a provider will accept. In this particular situation I have been waiting since Jan 4, 2016 for the "Choice" program to get back to me with information, appointment, or what to do........This is after my VA doc called and put the RUSH on the folks at the "Choice" office that is responsible for getting me help...............YEP, maybe for your brother the VA is adequate, he is breathing and all; but for others it does leave others expecting more.........

So, the original concept of welcome to Obamacare and it's consequences is just to compare to the VA medical care now......Have a copay insurance for your medicare so you can go to a doctor of choice in your retirement........

For me, I am blessed that I am not dependent upon the VA coverage for my healthcare..........God bless....Dennis

Never said "adequate", said quite acceptable. He's receiving 100% disability and doing well. He did plan for his future and networks well enough to stay on top of what he needs and ways to get it. He isn't military retired, had a career in the private sector, but served long enough, at right place and time to have qualifying impairments. He's a good study in being responsible for his own health care and is proactive about it.

Nobody is arguing nor replacing words....its apples and oranges.....lol....obviously you didn't read my example as to what is "acceptable"....if what I gave as, but even a tidbit of the GOOD treatment is "quite acceptable" then surely glad you are not MY brother's keeper......:banghead. Yes, and still just trying to say that what the VA gives as
" quite acceptable" medical treatment is what is in front of us all with Obamacare type of medical coverage........

Actually most vets, that go to the VA, were in the right place and right time to get qualified for VA coverage.....all it took is one day of service actually and a slip in the shower stall.........If you actually look at most Doc's waiting rooms you will see that many of the men and women there are able to go to the VA; but choose to go to the private sector for their medical needs. Nothing unusual about folks that served actually working, getting an education, having a career, planning to get their families and themselves covered for their future and current medical needs.......Glad your brother is among them.....Smart fella

God bless these United States.....Dennis

Nobody is arguing nor replacing words....its apples and oranges.....lol....obviously you didn't read my example as to what is "acceptable"....if what I gave as, but even a tidbit of the GOOD treatment is "quite acceptable" then surely glad you are not MY brother's keeper......:banghead. Yes, and still just trying to say that what the VA gives as
" quite acceptable" medical treatment is what is in front of us all with Obamacare type of medical coverage........

Actually most vets, that go to the VA, were in the right place and right time to get qualified for VA coverage.....all it took is one day of service actually and a slip in the shower stall.........If you actually look at most Doc's waiting rooms you will see that many of the men and women there are able to go to the VA; but choose to go to the private sector for their medical needs. Nothing unusual about folks that served actually working, getting an education, having a career, planning to get their families and themselves covered for their future and current medical needs.......Glad your brother is among them.....Smart fella

God bless these United States.....Dennis

The syntax is challenging....

Last edited:
Just a quick PSA - if you are having problems with the VA, contact your Senators and/or Representative. They each have a team of folks who are dedicated to casework and can often work wonders.

My brother has been a recipient of VA care that's been quite acceptable. Like all contacts with care providers, the more responsible we are knowing our health conditions and what our health care expectations should be...the better the chances of receiving the most efficient and highest level of care.

I agree... I've used the VA for about 7 years and have been quite happy with my medical care. Comparing the VA to the Affordable Care Act is certainly not comparing apples to apples, as one is an insurance policy, and the other actually a care provider. Now, like any organization, they have their problems, and need to be diligent to work at any issues, but I think a lot of people who have never used the VA give the organization a bad name without really having any direct experience to base their opinion on. Could it be better, yes, and I support any congressman/women who works toward keeping the spotlight on the process. We as a country have a responsibility towards our men and women who stand up for this country....

Just a quick PSA - if you are having problems with the VA, contact your Senators and/or Representative. They each have a team of folks who are dedicated to casework and can often work wonders.

Kinda hit and miss. Contacted my representative, Martha Roby, regarding an issues with the Alabama VA years later, still no action. (Just clerical. The VA refuses to rcognize my wife and dependents so all my burial Benifits would go to my X wife divorced since 2010.) so I'm six years into a claim that will probably never get processed.

I think Alabama VA is rated worst in the nation... Or close to the worst. I hope all the Vetrans receive the Benifits they deserve. Maybe one of these days they'll get it strait for all of us.

I've been using the VA to some degree for over 4 years. There is a regional hospital about 13 miles from my home.

Pro: I was diagnosed with cancer by an ENT doctor who I think was very diligent and persistent in his care. I think some doctors would have stopped when it appeared the problem was solved, but he continued until he found the underlying cause. He very possibly saved my life through his persistence.

Con: The VA doctor told me that my treatment would be guided by the results of an MRI. This conversation took place in October and he said I would receive the MRI in December. My VA hospital gets the traveling MRI apparatus one day a month and it was booked until December. He also informed me that I would be sent to Salt Lake City (650 miles) for treatment and that I could anticipate being hospitalized for three months.

I have two other health insurance plans that are very good. I called the local Cancer Treatment Center (CTC) (16 miles) and had an appointment the next day. I saw the doctor at 0830 on a Friday; had the MRI at 1100 and was back with the doctor watching the digital results of the MRI at 1300. Treatment began the following Monday. I believe I got superlative care.

Bottomline, in my opinion, is that the VA has competent people but they are less well equipped and staffed then many public or private hospitals. Like so many functions that are run by the government it appears to be top heavy, wasteful of resources and resistent to meaningful change. The head doctor at the local CTC told me he had approached the VA about forming an agreement for the VA to send cancer patients to his facility and that the local CTC would accept an amount that was less than it would cost the VA to ship patients off to Salt Lake City for treatment. VA was not interested. I do wonder if the new rules regarding VA patients being authorized to seek civilian care if the VA cannot see a patient within 30 days would now mean that a cancer patient could go to the local CTC at the VA's expense. In my case it would make no meaningful difference since the VA does bill a patient's insurance if covered; the VA just does not charge for co-pays and deductables.

Kevin,
Didn't know about the big "C". I'm glad you were taken care of, and hope all is well. I saw where Annie was a mileage contest finisher last year but you weren't. I was about to start some banter on that, ribbing you and such but I see now you may have been a little pre occupied and busy. Here's to saying cancer free brother. :drink

Yes, that truly is the best way to get results and have taken that route on several issues.......I pointed out the "CHOICE" program above as an example of the mess that has been created by Congress trying to do something right and then the paper shufflers grab hold and boy does it create more and more jobs......

Kevin,
Didn't know about the big "C". I'm glad you were taken care of, and hope all is well. I saw where Annie was a mileage contest finisher last year but you weren't. I was about to start some banter on that, ribbing you and such but I see now you may have been a little pre occupied and busy. Here's to saying cancer free brother. :drink

Thanks. In this age group many have experienced much worse. Just part of life. The reason I wasn't in the mileage contest was that I was preoccupied with riding my FJR. :dance

Thanks. In this age group many have experienced much worse. Just part of life. The reason I wasn't in the mileage contest was that I was preoccupied with riding my FJR. :dance

Totally understandable. FJR's are great bikes. Bout a month ago I guess it was, I saw a bike in the lot at work I thought was a Beemer with a paint scheme I hadn't seen before, dark Crimson color as I recall; I circled around got up close... Yep, it was an FJR.

Yes Kevin, it is often up to what the folks have available to treat the patient.....YOU are really totally blessed as to the outcome and let's pray for on down the road.......The VA is actually EXCELLENT medicine. The docs are overworked at the little branch offices; but when I go up to Nashville for heavy duty stuff, I get a Vanderbilt University School of Medicine doc and residents...........The Choice program got me my TURP at a local hospital/surgeon/urologist after I insisted that instead of going to the pill pusher at the local clinic that I wanted to see the Vanderbilt guys.........Then they, Vanderbilt, advised that it would be a long time to schedule the procedures involved so they turned me over to the Choice program............A call to my U.S. Rep got the paperwork moving along really well.............

What really needs to be pointed out in this RETIREMENT THREAD is that medical issues such as what Kevin so well described of what can happen and the value of having all of the co-pay insurance that one can get your hands on.........Imagine what would happen to Kevin financially if he did NOT have the co-pay insurance......NOT only that but what would've happened if he had to rely on the VA..........

Yes, according to the civilian doc that I go to instead of the VA pain clinic as I await for the "choice" program to do it's thing.......He treats a lot of VA guys just as I do using the Tricare and Medicare route. He and my good friend, fire wood cutting, GP doc both advise that If and when the programs of Obamacare and follow along agenda of some politicians that most medical care will become just like the VA........paperwork, good/overworked/underpayed docs, waiting lists, lack of equipment, and WAITING LISTS........

So, as I pay for my wife's co-pays until she hits 65 and is eligible for Medicare I truly pray for us to have good health so that we don't get my teacher's retirement, military retirement, and SS eaten into any more than it already is...........God bless these United States

That's called the VA........Anyone who wants to find out what Obama medicine is like needs to visit or get treatment by the VA...........

The VA and "Obama medicine" are independent of each other.

I am retired Army and I use Medicare with TreCare for life as a secondary. I get great benefits.

I am retired Army and I use Medicare with TreCare for life as a secondary. I get great benefits.

Not saying I agree, but I believe his point is that the mediocre VA level of care is what one can expect from O-care.

With Tricare or TriCare for life, can you ever be considered out of network? Outside of Tricare, the US health care industry is defined by preferred provider networks and annual out-of-pocket limits. You pay for what you or your employer can afford.

Yes, TriCare is great insurance and you would be foolish to ever leave it. Of course, the cost of Tricare and the VA accounts for more than 16% of the current Dept of Defense budget. But according to my employer, the cost of healthcare for a single employee is ~$9,000 per year. So, for any employee making $50,000, there's an 18% burden cost even before vacation, sick leave or retirement plan contribution. Pretty much says people below a certain wage aren't employable at jobs with employer provided insurance.

In general, healthcare in the US is a mess and has been one for several decades.

Last edited:
Back