• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

Yesterday I had a job. Today I am retired. This might take a while to sink in.
.......................................................... There it goes.
Damn this feels nice!!

Congratulations for a life well planned. Coincidentally, on this date 16 years ago I went into work in the morning and came out unemployed in the afternoon. Retirement has been fun for sure. Enjoy!

It is hard to believe, that I am entering this conversation. This kind of thing is suppose to be for others, but surely not me.

But the Wuhan event has tipped the scales, and for the fourth time in my career, the company is hemorrhaging cash, and with their hair on fire, trying to solve the riddle of survival, I took their offer of an early out.

I take no solace in this. But times being what they are, at 63 years old, I suppose the writing is on the wall. Tho I wish the opportunity to slug it out and try to be part of the solution, the corporation offered to buy us out, and help solve the manning issues; I have elected to take the early buy-out, and peacefully relinquish to the status of "retired".

After 32 years of flying, I am done. The sound of that door closing is deafening, frightening, permanent. But it was inevitable; I take it 20 months early, does it matter?

So part 2 begins. Shall I cry me a river?

I think not.

Time to ride:

View attachment 77800

It is hard to believe, that I am entering this conversation. This kind of thing is suppose to be for others, but surely not me.

But the Wuhan event has tipped the scales, and for the fourth time in my career, the company is hemorrhaging cash, and with their hair on fire, trying to solve the riddle of survival, I took their offer of an early out.

I take no solace in this. But times being what they are, at 63 years old, I suppose the writing is on the wall. Tho I wish the opportunity to slug it out and try to be part of the solution, the corporation offered to buy us out, and help solve the manning issues; I have elected to take the early buy-out, and peacefully relinquish to the status of "retired".

After 32 years of flying, I am done. The sound of that door closing is deafening, frightening, permanent. But it was inevitable; I take it 20 months early, does it matter?

I think not.

Time to ride:

View attachment 77800

I hope you were at AA. I retired from there 4 years ago and the 600+ that just retired from there got a great deal. Congratulations.

Doug

I think not.

Time to ride:

View attachment 77800

Congrats and welcome to the club...I retired 13 years ago and have never regretted it. When friends ask me about retirement, I tell them, remember the only way you extend it is on the front...

I think not.

Time to ride :QUOTE]

I had to retire from flying for a large corporation (CAT sub) eight years ago because of age limitations but have been flying part time for several operators ever since. There are plenty of fun flying opportunities out there and even though my wife and I both rode a lot and attended rallys and such the "wander lust" of flying will catch up with you. My brother got one of those early out deals from Delta years ago and couldn't stand it long so went to work for Flexjet flying international. I have a friend in Orlando that retired from AA a couple years ago and now has a full time corporate job. NEVER SAY NEVER!!

Nope, because when you are six-feet under, that is when nothing matters anymore. I left at 56 and took a huge hit on my pension; couldn't take the BS working for the government anymore. No regrets! Couldn't be happier...love my well equipped workshop, my garage, my motorcycles and cars, my tours.

All that is missing is an Extra 300.

2016-09-25-1.jpg

2019-05-08-1.jpg

I think not.

Time to ride :QUOTE]

I had to retire from flying for a large corporation (CAT sub) eight years ago because of age limitations but have been flying part time for several operators ever since. There are plenty of fun flying opportunities out there and even though my wife and I both rode a lot and attended rallys and such the "wander lust" of flying will catch up with you. My brother got one of those early out deals from Delta years ago and couldn't stand it long so went to work for Flexjet flying international. I have a friend in Orlando that retired from AA a couple years ago and now has a full time corporate job. NEVER SAY NEVER!!

Your story reminded me of a friend in Seattle who retired quite a few years ago as a pilot with Alaska Airlines. He ended up being introduced to one of the many internet millionaires/billionaires in Seattle...and has now for years been flying this individuals private fleet of planes, including one of the most beautiful Beavers in the country. I believe he would say life after corporate flight has been pretty damn good.

Congratulations! Me thinks we’re in the same business. My airline in the UAE is grounded for who knows how long, and if at 53 they offered me a nice incentive for an early departure I would definitely take it.

Enjoy that beutiful bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice surprise

Correctional Officers can have an unusual sense of humour so you can understand
my skepticism when I got this message today, April Fool's Day, barely 2 days after I
became officially retired.
The message was that our lotto pool won $1,000,000 !
Pause.............................................................................................................
I saw the proof. 62 people will be sharing the jackpot.
Yippee!!!!
That Alpine White 1250RT might be here sooner than I thought.

my skepticism when I got this message today, April Fool's Day, barely 2 days after I
Pause.............................................................................................................
Yippee!!!!

Congratulations, once again.

Yippee!!!!

Fantastic news, congratulations and thanks for giving us good news, a rare commodity these days.
[emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yippee!!!!

Wow! So nice to hear a great story like this!

I saw the proof. 62 people will be sharing the jackpot.Yippee!!!!

Nice retirement present!

Along with your Covid risk reduction.

I see Central East is part Maximum Security, so that couldn't have been easy, working there.

Yippee!!!!
That Alpine White 1250RT might be here sooner than I thought.[/QUOTE]

What wonderful news. Enjoy.

Yippee!!!!

Congratulations...what awesome news for the newly retired! I'm thinking you'll be ordering the 1250 RT with ALL the bells and whistles. :)

Yippee!!!!

Timing is everything.
Congratulations, and welcome to your new life!

Back