• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reporting safety related issues - starting the ball rolling on a recall

bigjohn72

A Government website to report safety issues and concerns on your vehicle. As I believe this is also for motorcycles I am still looking for a specific site. There are a few commonality issues with our bikes from model to model, but this is how to get ligitimate safety concerns investigated. For example, several models through certain years blowing drive shafts or final drives. Catastrophic failures that may lead to an accident causing injury or death. I have seen this work for the FJR crowd getting a problem finally recognized over an electrical issue, and started a HUGE recall to fix the wiring harness, and reimburse others who already had the failure. That being said, it does not guarantee everything, as it also is how the company handles the information as well. But if anyone knows more than me on the subject, please share your information or more hopefully personaly experience with everyone.

This is started because I see the same failure items across 3 different forums just for my bike, so there is no telling what is out there that could possibly need the attention that it deserves. The government site report page:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I am almost sure that unless you experienced the issue yourself, they done want to read through reports of "I read about these guys on facebook that had this problem" type stories. They want first hand accounts. Hope this is useful to somebody.

A Government website to report safety issues and concerns on your vehicle. As I believe this is also for motorcycles I am still looking for a specific site. There are a few commonality issues with our bikes from model to model, but this is how to get ligitimate safety concerns investigated. For example, several models through certain years blowing drive shafts or final drives. Catastrophic failures that may lead to an accident causing injury or death. I have seen this work for the FJR crowd getting a problem finally recognized over an electrical issue, and started a HUGE recall to fix the wiring harness, and reimburse others who already had the failure. That being said, it does not guarantee everything, as it also is how the company handles the information as well. But if anyone knows more than me on the subject, please share your information or more hopefully personaly experience with everyone.

This is started because I see the same failure items across 3 different forums just for my bike, so there is no telling what is out there that could possibly need the attention that it deserves. The government site report page:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I am almost sure that unless you experienced the issue yourself, they done want to read through reports of "I read about these guys on facebook that had this problem" type stories. They want first hand accounts. Hope this is useful to somebody.

Final drive failures were the subject of an investigation by NHTSA and their conclusion was that it was not a safety related issue. How they reached that conclusion is quetionable, but they did. Apparently, among the reported incidents nobody was hurt or killed. This is not to say that everybody who has one shouldn't keep reporting the failures - especially if the bike gets squirrly, goes down, or the rider is injured.

I don't know the status of any reporting of driveshaft universal joint failures.

Big John - A commendable post, albeit 'touchy' subject - the chronic failure of FD's on model year 2005+ beemers.

The number of BMW owners who have suffered thru one or more (I had two) pre-mature failures of the final drive is an unknown quantity, in no small part due to not reporting the failure to an appropriate government agency.

Nice that you included the web site to direct information when issues occur - thanks!

I reported mine back in 2011.

While hundreds (perhaps thousands) of reports have been made, three nuances still work against progress: the legendary guarded secrecy surrounding corporate BMW and their reluctance to cooperate when challenged / the lethargic efficiency of the Federal DOT (NHTSA) / the palpable attitude within the BMW community that it is somehow 'disloyal' to the brand to report problems.

FD's continue to fail unnecessarily, and if you have joined this 'club,' my sympathies. I look forward to the day when BMW's reputation returns to the stature it once deserved. :german

Last edited:
A large component I think is whether the failure is always sudden and unexpected. Failure to perform scheduled inspections and maintenance is not an accepted excuse. Nor I should think is unskilled DIY maintenance (unskilled describes most of it).

There really is no reliable data available as to what "chronic" really means, but my first guess is that the problem is greatly overstated on Internet forums. If not, then it's simply miraculous that BMW sales continue to climb. Lots of repeat buyers, too.

Pretty much every vehicle ever built is going to have a driveshaft or halfshaft failure at some point. All brake pads and linings will wear out--which could lead to a wreck. The government is never going to mandate free parts replacement for wear items. There are no "lifetime" parts.

A large component I think is whether the failure is always sudden and unexpected. Failure to perform scheduled inspections and maintenance is not an accepted excuse. Nor I should think is unskilled DIY maintenance (unskilled describes most of it).

I would agree with that entire paragraph. Well stated.

There really is no reliable data available as to what "chronic" really means, but my first guess is that the problem is greatly overstated on Internet forums. If not, then it's simply miraculous that BMW sales continue to climb. Lots of repeat buyers, too.

Not so agreeable. Reliable data exists in the form of those owners who have already documented pre-mature failures (<50k mi.) to the NHTSA - that list totals in the hundreds, and grows a little more each month. As for what "chronic" really means - please consult dictionary. The frequent repetition of this 'anomaly' supports that adjective. As for sales as a barometer of quality, I have a retired car salesman friend who remembers having a hard time keeping Pinto's in stock when they first came out.

Pretty much every vehicle ever built is going to have a driveshaft or halfshaft failure at some point. All brake pads and linings will wear out--which could lead to a wreck. The government is never going to mandate free parts replacement for wear items. There are no "lifetime" parts.

No where in any post on this thread has the word "lifetime" been thrown around as an expectation. Of course, all components will eventually wear out if kept/used long enough. FD failures at relatively early miles is the rub with this subject, and has led to fires that have destroyed bikes, as well as seized rear wheels at high speed - both scenarios that may very well get the attention of government watchdogs. Too many, too soon is the issue. :banghead

Let those who have problems file reports and we'll see what happens. For those lucky enough to ride trouble-free, enjoy your bikes and pound on the miles.

Last edited:
Back