• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Repair ignitionof K75

Gil

This week end, my hoeny moon with my K75 will continue with the repair of the ignition switch to the K75. I am a bit nervous about it. For the most part, all I hear is that the ignition may need cleaning and the two prings may need to be slighjtly streched to create more tention and therefor, better contact. I was also advised about some small ball bearings that may need additional attention and cleaning and possibly some grease.
Anything else I could do? I am tired of riding the bike and shutting down while riding. I have to jiggle the key way to much and sometimes it takes a long time to get the bike to turn on and stay on. Other than that, I enjoy the ride more than legaly possible. I trully love my K75!

Regards,

Gil

Will the ignition of an older 84 K100 fit the 88 K75?

Forget the title of this thread! It seems the ignition switch may be repaired. I decided to take the ignition switch off so that I can compare it with the potential K100 switch I may be getting. Once out, I decided to open it and try to clean and reassemble it. I gave it a light clean and I also decided to give the small springs a light stretch. I figured it could help make tention and better contact. While I was taking it appart, the metal contacts came out flying and I freaked out. I had no idea what went where and what side was up or down. With the guidance of this board and previous messages I assebled it and crossed my fingers.I was not sure if i got it right. I proceded to reassemble the bike. Next thing I know, the bike starts right away. I jiggled the key many times and unlike the previous times, the bike did not even show signs of shutting down. It seems that stretching the springs did the trick. Could this be victory at last? I sure hope so. What do you all think? Could the springs have played that much of a role. Just in case, i will be getting the spare ignition switch from the K100. I don't entirely trust the job I did. It was too easy and simple.
Drop me a line. I DO look forward to all's advice and thoughts.

One last important question. There seems to be a lose gas line from the bottom of the tank. It's connected to the bottomof the tank and it just seats under the tank with no final connection. Is this a breather line that's supposed to lead to the top of the engine? I did not notice this line coming off any other end. It makes me nervous...You know, the whole gas/top of engine/electrical explosion thing.

Highest Regards to all.

Gil

Last edited:
Back