• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Removing Rear swing arm

R

rakidd

I have a 2000 K1200Lt with a 102,000 miles. Have a leaking rear oil seal and am in the process of repair. The bearing holder bolt on left side of swing arm will not come loose. My manual says nothing about that part being a left hand thread but could it be ????????????

I have a 2000 K1200Lt with a 102,000 miles. Have a leaking rear oil seal and am in the process of repair. The bearing holder bolt on left side of swing arm will not come loose. My manual says nothing about that part being a left hand thread but could it be ????????????

No it is NOT left handed!!!!!

But it probably has high strength thread locker (green or red) that requires heat to melt the locker. Use a torch and apply heat right to the center, inside where the big allen wrench/socket inserts. Not real hot - 248 degrees is the spec - and try; heat, try, until it breaks loose.

Hey Paul Thanks for the tip. Got it out even though I ruined it I'm glad it came out. The hex bearing holder bolt got rounded off, needs replaced. Thanks

Common problem on these bikes. You hopefully didn't ruin the threads on the swing arm. Some people have had these ruined due the loctite and galling of the Aluminum.

Just an FYI. Some forms of Loctite don't soften up until 350-400 degrees F. At this temp you have ruined any seals in the area and probably cooked the grease also.

happy wrenching

Roy

Back