• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations for tire replacement: BMW R1150RT

tangoalpha

Hi Gang. Long time no talk. I've been away from the forum the past few months as 2017 has been off to a very busy start which has kept me preoccupied with other things. Now that things have slowed down somewhat, I've been able to squeeze a few rides in. While in my garage the other day, I attempted to move the RT from its usual spot and noticed that my rear tire was completely flat. After putting the bike back on the center stand and rotating the tire, I noticed a screw embedded in the rear tire. After inflating the tire, and taking note of the rate of deflation and considering the age and condition of the tire, I concluded it's time for a new set of rubber. The question is, with what?

Currently the bike wears Michellin Pilot Road 2 (front/rear) which are no longer made, so I'll have to choose something else. I'm considering going with a set of Michelin Pilot Road4 GT's or Metzler Roadtec 01's. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions and recommendations, especially from those who own these tires.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

I have ZERO complaints with the Michelin PR4's on mt 99 R11S and R11RT. Wet or dry. Looks like I'll get 10K on the S's rear, too. JM2C.

Uh oh, another tire, oil, chain lube thread. :laugh

Just about any tire you select will deliver what you're looking for. I've tried pretty much all of them but right now I'm very happy with Dunlop Roadsmarts (good tire - dumb name). I've got 15,000 km on this set in all types of riding, except dirt, and they look like they'll be good for another 5-7k km.

Almost anything will be an upgrade from the PR2 which was a fine tire at the time.

Michelin PR4 - Tried & True - great tire in all conditions with a long life. This is the benchmark the others want to beat.

Metzeler Roadtec 01
Dunlop Roadsmart III
The new Metzeler and Dunlop offerings took aim to dethrone the PR4 in terms of wet performance and both may have succeeded. While I haven't seen longevity test results on either of them, Dunlop claims to have surpassed the PR4 in that category as well.

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradreifen/motorrad-reifentest-2016-tourenreifen.748378.html

Continental Road Attack 3 - if they stay true to form from the RA2evo, great dry handling at the expense of wet performance and longevity. I haven't seen a comprehensive test done one it yet to see if it is really a step forward.

Pirelli Angel GT - lowest priced with reasonable wear (nowhere near a PR4) and wet performance between the PR3 & PR4 and dry performance a bit shy of the RA2evo. Given the lack of options with my 18" rear, this is what I run. You have more to choose from. It was king of the compromise hill in 2013, but is probably due for a refresh as the others have advanced. If price is a concern, it may still be a good option.

Avon Storm 3D XM - This is likely the longest lasting tire in the field, but it reportedly comes at the expense of handling and grip, especially in cool or wet conditions. Coming from a worn PR2, it will probably feel fine, especially if you ride a lot of highway miles in nice weather. If you want to hammer turns regardless of the weather, there are better choices.

Bridgestone T30 - reported to be a good tire all around and I think one of the super bike schools was even running them for a track tire. It just hasn't been ranked the best at anything and I've seen some comments about very stiff sidewalls.

I'm still amazed how fast this tire segment keeps advancing. When great tires like the PR2 and BT023 are seriously outdated, it is a fine problem to have.

WOW! Thank you soooo much for that information. You listed several tires choices that I wasn't even aware of. As you and others have pointed out, coming from a worn set of PR2's, anything will certainly feel and perform better than what I currently have. Pricing out the tires, it appears the Metzler Roadtec 01 and the Michelin PR4's are comparable. Just as a quick check, I looked at Cycle Gear's website and they list the tires (rear) at about $193 and $150 (rear). So from a pricing point of view, there's no significant advantage either way. I'll research the other options you mentioned and make a decision from there. Thanks again for your feedback. Sure is appreciated.

Almost anything will be an upgrade from the PR2 which was a fine tire at the time.

Michelin PR4 - Tried & True - great tire in all conditions with a long life. This is the benchmark the others want to beat.

Metzeler Roadtec 01
Dunlop Roadsmart III
The new Metzeler and Dunlop offerings took aim to dethrone the PR4 in terms of wet performance and both may have succeeded. While I haven't seen longevity test results on either of them, Dunlop claims to have surpassed the PR4 in that category as well.

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradreifen/motorrad-reifentest-2016-tourenreifen.748378.html

Continental Road Attack 3 - if they stay true to form from the RA2evo, great dry handling at the expense of wet performance and longevity. I haven't seen a comprehensive test done one it yet to see if it is really a step forward.

Pirelli Angel GT - lowest priced with reasonable wear (nowhere near a PR4) and wet performance between the PR3 & PR4 and dry performance a bit shy of the RA2evo. Given the lack of options with my 18" rear, this is what I run. You have more to choose from. It was king of the compromise hill in 2013, but is probably due for a refresh as the others have advanced. If price is a concern, it may still be a good option.

Avon Storm 3D XM - This is likely the longest lasting tire in the field, but it reportedly comes at the expense of handling and grip, especially in cool or wet conditions. Coming from a worn PR2, it will probably feel fine, especially if you ride a lot of highway miles in nice weather. If you want to hammer turns regardless of the weather, there are better choices.

Bridgestone T30 - reported to be a good tire all around and I think one of the super bike schools was even running them for a track tire. It just hasn't been ranked the best at anything and I've seen some comments about very stiff sidewalls.

I'm still amazed how fast this tire segment keeps advancing. When great tires like the PR2 and BT023 are seriously outdated, it is a fine problem to have.

I've got Dunlop Road Smart II tires, I've put almost 7,000 hard miles on them, since I've owned my bike. And these tires were already on there when I bought it. There is plenty of life left on the front, and back tire.

Even though I drive a R1100RS, I lean hard and my luggage will scrape often. They provide great traction, even in heavy rain they grip great. They surprise me quite a bit in wet weather.

They do pretty poor in dirt, but that is to be expected. Though, dirt traction improves drastically with a little less psi. 30/32 psi.

So far I'm.impressed, and whenever these go bald I will try Dunlop Road Smart III

Back