• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Tire Recommendation - 2018 R1200 RT

dynabear

At the risk of getting so many opinions that it won't be easy to see a consensus, is there a front tire that most riders of a 2018 R1200 Rt seem to prefer from a mileage standpoint?

My bike (used) came with new Pirelli Angel GT's front and rear and I was really excited about these due to my experience with them on my Yamaha FJR wherein I would average 6K front and 9K rear. To my utter disappointment, my front tire on my RT is shot at 4K and considering that the front end of the RT is noticeably lighter and more manueverable, I am at a loss to figure how I got such poor mileage out of this tire. My Harley mechanic says he has witnessed just about all tires getting less mileage and his indictment is that all manufacturers are just getting cheap and making crappier tires.

At this point, I am thinking Dunlop RS 2's or 4's which I have also had experience with. The 2's are about half the price of the Pirelli so, 4K miles on a front is fine except for more frequent tire changes.

Thanks for listening

Welcome to the forum!

As this is kinda a Wethead question, one of the moderators will move this question over to the Wethead section in a while.

Good luck.

Gary

At this point, I am thinking Dunlop RS 2's or 4's which I have also had experience with. The 2's are about half the price of the Pirelli so, 4K miles on a front is fine except for more frequent tire changes.

Thanks for listening

I have a 2022 RS instead of a RT.

I would go with a set of Dunlop RS 3 or 4. My wife and I have had good luck with several sets of Roadsmart 3.
I checked J&P Cycle and a set of RS 4 costs $448 and a set of RS 3 cost $250.
If you buy the RS 4 from a Dunlop Pro dealer there's a rebate up to $100.
Riders who have used the 3 and 4 both said the 4 gets a little better mileage.

I liked the Pilot Road 4 tires and got good wear from them. Both of us tried a front Road 5 and it was the shortest life of any front tire I can remember.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I added more context to the title of your post. Helps with searching later on! :thumb

Welcome to the forum!

As this is kinda a Wethead question, one of the moderators will move this question over to the Wethead section in a while.

Good luck.

Gary

I think this should stay in the Motorrad section.

I haven't been thrilled with my last set of PR4's or my Metzler Roadtec Z8's.

I'm gonna try some Avon Spirit's this season.

Be interesting to see the opinions.

My bike (used) came with new Pirelli Angel GT's front and rear and I was really excited about these due to my experience with them on my Yamaha FJR wherein I would average 6K front and 9K rear. To my utter disappointment, my front tire on my RT is shot at 4K and considering that the front end of the RT is noticeably lighter and more manueverable, I am at a loss to figure how I got such poor mileage out of this tire. My Harley mechanic says he has witnessed just about all tires getting less mileage and his indictment is that all manufacturers are just getting cheap and making crappier tires.

Thanks for listening

My 1100RT uses the same front tire; 120/70-17. I also found that the Pirelli Angel GT front tire is very disappointing mileage wise. I use the Angel GT rear tire and it is very acceptable. For the front, I use either the Dunlop Roadsmart IV, or the Michelin PR4-GT. No problem at all having either of these in combo with the Angel GT on the rear and they both give very good mileage.

Last edited:
I have a 2022 RS instead of a RT.

I would go with a set of Dunlop RS 3 or 4. My wife and I have had good luck with several sets of Roadsmart 3.
I checked J&P Cycle and a set of RS 4 costs $448 and a set of RS 3 cost $250.
If you buy the RS 4 from a Dunlop Pro dealer there's a rebate up to $100.
Riders who have used the 3 and 4 both said the 4 gets a little better mileage.

I liked the Pilot Road 4 tires and got good wear from them. Both of us tried a front Road 5 and it was the shortest life of any front tire I can remember.

Welcome to the forum

Set of RS4's from Revzilla right now for either my 16RS or 11RT [ take the same tire sizes ] is right about 380.00 with free delivery. I picked up a set to be installed in June just before my multi state trip to the Tetons and back

Set of RS4's from Revzilla right now for either my 16RS or 11RT [ take the same tire sizes ] is right about 380.00 with free delivery. I picked up a set to be installed in June just before my multi state trip to the Tetons and back

When I check Revzilla for the RS4 I get $255.48 for the 180/55/17 rear and $192.36 for the 120/70/17 front for a total of $447.84.

Dunlop RS 4's

I've been running Dunlop Roadsmart IV's. On the first set, I put 10,129 miles on the front tire; zero problems, no complaints. I am now on my second set of RS 4's. I really like the Dunlops. I previously ran Michelin Road 5's (great tires, too). I am not a brand snob. Any top-of-the-line sport-touring tire - Bridgestone, Pirelli, Conti, Dunlop, Michelin, etc. - will get you through the twisties in fine fashion.

I Any top-of-the-line sport-touring tire - Bridgestone, Pirelli, Conti, Dunlop, Michelin, etc. - will get you through the twisties in fine fashion.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the modern Sport Touring tires.

At the risk of getting so many opinions that it won't be easy to see a consensus, is there a front tire that most riders of a 2018 R1200 Rt seem to prefer from a mileage standpoint?

Thanks for listening

What tire pressure do you run?

When I check Revzilla for the RS4 I get $255.48 for the 180/55/17 rear and $192.36 for the 120/70/17 front for a total of $447.84.

I just rechecked myself and you're numbers are correct. I made a mistake somewhere it seems

What tire pressure do you run?

I got this from THE MAN, boxflyer: for higher mileage, run 38 front and 44 rear (psi). I use this mostly on longer travels that may involve interstate (ugh). For my weekend mountain rides, I run the recommended 36 front 42 rear; never lower. Got slightly over 10K miles on my RS 4's, so I must be doing something right.

Last edited:
In speaking with a Dunlop rep at our national rally, they advised me the the Road Smart is especially sensitive to inflation pressure. As has been mentioned, never go below 36F/42R or suffer the consequence of accelerated wear.

I have found tire wear on a motorcycle can be changed with a few pounds either side of the recommended tire (bike ID tag) pressure. This has been particularly evident when cupping occurs.

OM

Mixed tires?

I've noticed a few people running with "mis-matched" tires so, apparently, it's not a real issue. My rear tire is shot after 8K but my front looks almost brand new. Are there any reasons I would not want to change the rear only, even if it is a differnt brand than the front? I hate to throw away a tire with thousands of mile left on it.

Ski

I've noticed a few people running with "mis-matched" tires so, apparently, it's not a real issue. My rear tire is shot after 8K but my front looks almost brand new. Are there any reasons I would not want to change the rear only, even if it is a differnt brand than the front? I hate to throw away a tire with thousands of mile left on it.

Ski
My personal preference is to run "matched" tires. For example, if my front Michelin Road 6 was good and the rear Road 6 was toast, I would stick with Michelin and get a new rear Road 6. I don't think there is a scientific reason behind it. One can choose to run different brands front/rear with no ill effects. I know a rider who runs a REAR Bridgestone tire on the front wheel - rotation direction reversed - and runs a rear Michelin "dark side" (car tire). Talk about an interesting tire combination! It is common on dirt bikes to run completely different front/rear tires (yes, I know dirt bikes and street bikes are different animals).
I suggest you can change your rear tire only and go with any brand you like. You should have no problems.

One can choose to run different brands front/rear with no ill effects. I know a rider who runs a REAR Bridgestone tire on the front wheel - rotation direction reversed - and runs a rear Michelin "dark side" (car tire). Talk about an interesting tire combination! It is common on dirt bikes to run completely different front/rear tires (yes, I know dirt bikes and street bikes are different animals).
I suggest you can change your rear tire only and go with any brand you like. You should have no problems.

I agree. I don't think brand matters much at all. One thing I would do is try to have a "stickier" front tire than rear tire.

I know a rider who runs a REAR Bridgestone tire on the front wheel - rotation direction reversed - and runs a rear Michelin "dark side" (car tire). Talk about an interesting tire combination!

That is some Galaxy Brain thinking right there,:huh

Whatever floats your boat or rolls your ride, I guess.

Back