• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rebuilding seat.

synstars

So after weeks of trying to trade a 2004 GSA low seat for a standard or high I got impatient and decided to cut into the seat and build it up.

For anyone with a low and needing to add an inch or two it was quite simple IMO the 2nd time around as the first time I tried to use spray foam to fill in any gaps. Let's say spray foam is not fun to deal with when building a seat lol.

I took 5lbs foam that I got from Home Depot at $0.25/yrd to raise the seat and build up the sides. 3M heavy duty adhesive spray for contact and a hack saw blade and scissors to trim.

I did not have a sufficient nail gun or grinder attachment to smooth out the sides and reshape it all the way like I would have wanted to but it's simple enough if you have the tools. I did not so I took it to a shop for them to take out the minor humps, stetch vinyl, and staple.

Overall with the upholstery shop doing the finish it only cost me $140 and I got to keep the BMW seat foam for my top base which I actually think is really comfy.

Added about 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear which was perfect for me to be on the balls of my feet and with the SM lowering pegs I am soooo comfortable now.

However, next time I do a seat I will use more of a dense foam to fill I'm any gaps as opposed to the 5lbs foam I used. While it works it's tedious to constantly cut strips and layer it while a harder more dense foam you'll be able to cut and shape the whole section in one piece.
50580e6eb7ae26f96583eb3a9d5f6349.jpg
c62a9b3265f779fe5a37ce8768c98944.jpg
a97db1717b191d939589ee6e6fdb8576.jpg
208bf69a4f6ce3ea46c5aa89c7d4f368.jpg
89fbe8cbf674ef540bd4b0f33fdc1e1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

A couple of tips.

If you are building the seat foam based on the old seat pan use some plastic to lay on the pan, makes it easier to work with, if you get glue etc on it. When you are done you can just trim the plastic and mount it all between the seat pan and the cover. Avoids overspray onto the seat pan, bike etc.

Memory foam may be OK for a very thin top layer, but never use it to build the entire seat. It is too soft. If will initially feel really good but as you ride down the highway you slowly will sink down to the seat pan. The firmer foams are always better for building seats.

It's comfy for long distances but it's slightly too wide/tall. I have since ordered a new foam and cover for the seat.

I didn't realize I could just order the normal height foam and cover for less than $200 which even after my initial investment still saves me over $100 from any upholster.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Back