• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Music?

I really didn't start this thread out of the "did you-did you not" like it notion! The opportunity to showcase the very theme /location of the rally was , for the most part missed when it comes to entertainment. This is not to say that someone didn't work hard to get whomever to perform nor that they were necessarily bad performers.
As to the choir statement-I find that off the mark. Not to dis Oregon, but does Oregon have highways named after two forms of music and MANY named musicians with signs along said hwys and several music museums in the area? If so lets have some of that dished up next year. Come on, its isn't me that invented bluegrass and country music, BUT-A BIG BUT! , we were located in the home country of said music with a rally that proclaimed itself to be Mountain Magic-Southern Style. Does that take a flying leap of ones imagination when it comes to entertainment, or do you pretty much ignore it?
Nothing like the Mormom choir to sing to a beer garden, right? Get real, my point is not about pleasing all. If this had been a true southern style music venue, you would have seen lots of old people and young dancing on the side lines - I saw two people. :dance

Would your son or daughter jam out to the tunes?

Friday night was excellent! Saturday night the guy came out drunk. If the rally planners were trying to put everyone to sleep early it worked. I bailed and went over to play with the bonfire. If MOA is trying to atract new (younger) members, they should bring in some current acts.
Ron

Friday night was excellent! Saturday night the guy came out drunk. If the rally planners were trying to put everyone to sleep early it worked. I bailed and went over to play with the bonfire. If MOA is trying to atract new (younger) members, they should bring in some current acts.
Ron

it's a tough road.

on one hand, you've got a bulk of the membership, say 85 percent, that fall into a certain demographic that really like the type of music we usually get for the rallies.

then you've got a quiet minority, who will never really dig the rally entertainment, but trying to cater to them will alienate the majority. i should know about this as i tried organizing a "ipod dj" thing at the beer garden in VT 06'. our esteemed President was my first sign-up, he opened with some ambient, non-offensive electronic stuff, it went over like a lead balloon. that, to me, is really unfortunate.

i'm 29, i've never had a rally act in 4 years that i was remotely interested in watching. there are a lot of bands i listen to that would never have a place at the rally, but there is some music i like that could cross over somewhat to the stuff i heard on saturday night. i think picking a musical "theme" is not always a smart decision as it limits your choices. a wider variety of acts might be a good thing.

2009 Rally Music Chairman

First let me say thank you to ALL the volunteers that helped at the music stage and hospitality area! They did a great job and events like this just could not happen with out them. This was not only my 1st. rally to chair the music and entertainment. It was my 1st. rally!
I started working on the music line-up last November and have spent countless hours trying to put together a selection of music that would please the largest percentage of our membership and support the rally theme. "Mountain Magic Southern Style" not "MOUNTAIN" magic southern style.

Let's just take a quick review..

The Corklickers / Unequivocally traditional old-time country music. From Bristol and the base player is a MOA member!

Randy Waller and the Country Gentlemen/ A son carrying on his father's bluegrass band tradition into a nationally touring act lasting over 35 years.

Lightnin' Charlie/ A Johnson City resident that played everything from old-time country to Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Blue Mother Tupelo/ Appalachian duo harmonies and a dolbro from Knoxville.

Paul Thorn/ The son of a Pentecostal preacher from Tupelo Mississippi with songs about trailer parks and gravel roads.

Delbert McClinton/ Grammy winning artist that has been touring internationally longer than he will admit. The story goes that he is the guy that showed John Lennon (Beatles) how to play harmonica.

April Taylor/ 2008 Female Artist of the year in Nashville from Bristol TN. Her grandfather wrote songs with the original Carter family.

Scott Boyer and the Decoys/ from Muscle Shoals AL. A recording mecca in the 70's. This band has more studio hours with such a wide range of famous artists it is hard to comprehend. Allman Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones to name a few.

Donnie Fritts/ A songwriter with credit for hits recorded by Tony Joe White, Kris Kristofferson, Ray Charles, John Prine, Bob Dylan....

Amazing Rhythm Aces/ Any band with a song that features lyrics : "Salty peanuts, grape Nehi, Purinna dog chow, them ole hills and hollers" sure sounds country to me! Did you see the shirt Russell Smith was wearing??

That means 4 of the bands were from less than 100 miles from the fairgrounds. 2 featured banjo and stand up base.
We also had strolling musicians through out the daytime hours that all came from Johnson City and played pure country mountain music.(for tips) One featuring a father/son (only 8 yrs. old) playing fiddle, mandolin and banjo.
Not one single artist from north of the Mason Dixon line. That was done intentionally!

So to say that the entertainment committee did not present local music is not only untrue but also very uninformed!

Please keep in mind that we are a club with a wide range of taste.

All of this is to ask that if you have any suggestions regarding future entertainment. VOLUNTEER!!

Again to all that volunteered and to the dozens of people who went to the trouble to find me and express their appreciation for the music line-up.

I thank you!!

Lee Harrelson
2009 BMWMOA Music and Entertainment Chair:violin
:violin

Delbert McClinton was an inspired choice.
How about Sonny Landreth next year?

That would work for me! I won't have the time to ride to Oregon, but if I did, I'd be very happy with Sonny Landreth...or does the rally have to be in Louisiana for that to be appropriate?

Most families can't agree on what kind of music to listen to in a single car. How in the world can anyone please the majority of 9,000 people from very diverse backgrounds. I'm sure Lee knew people would be unhappy regardless of who he got to perform.

Most families can't agree on what kind of music to listen to in a single car. How in the world can anyone please the majority of 9,000 people from very diverse backgrounds. I'm sure Lee knew people would be unhappy regardless of who he got to perform.

LOL!

My kid and I fight over the AutoCom tunes while riding!

No disrespect, but the music was much better than the oompah loompah band in West Bend.

I've always found there are some people that would bitch,if they were in swimming,on a sunny day..
Delbert kept a grin on my kisser,from the first note,till the last.

Delbert rocks! The man can play and his band really hit the right notes with gusto!

The gal band Saturday night started off doing some Emmy Lou Harris, some Youkum, some Suzy Bogguss, and I thought this is cool!
but then she dipped into some stuff that was not my cup of twang tea, but I still enjoyed it all.

Lee,honestly, thanks for a great effort, and rest assured that I read the program and listened to many performances. Some might have been from the area but it just didn't happen for me "overall" in a Country/Bluegrass sort of way. I really am not a bitch and complain kinda guy but if I was pleased I would say so. Many might have been from the area but they didn't play that way for me. Some were from the area and did play that way. Thanks for trying!:violin

:violin :violin

I gotta agree with you folks who enjoyed Delbert McClinton's show. He's a true legend, and his music just keeps getting better and better, even after FOUR freakin' DECADES!!!:thumb

Back