• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R65 Front Brake Modification Advice

tlangman4

Hi Airheaders-

I have recently purchased a 1980 R65 which will need new front brakes. The bike sat for a number of years, and the single disc, ATE caliper, and M/C are toast. I am contemplating purchasing dual Brembo F08 calipers to go with new rotors, along with a new M/C from EME. Given the apparent slight difference in the F08 caliper piston size to the Brembo caliper utilized in later BMW models, does anyone have a suggestion on the optimal M/C size to purchase, 15mm vs 16mm (EME sells both)..?? Hoping someone who has already applied this mod can pass on their experience.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..!!

I recently rebuilt my M/C & ATE 40mm caliper on a r90/6. In my research the smaller sized M/C was recommended. For the r90/6, it was a 14mm.

I don't know a whole lot about the R65 bikes but, changing from ATE to Brembo calipers on the bigger bikes is not just a matter of switching calipers.
You need the whole front end, forks sliders fender brace and so on. Not a drop in.
Like I say, I could be mistaken. Good luck. St.

I don't know a whole lot about the R65 bikes but, changing from ATE to Brembo calipers on the bigger bikes is not just a matter of switching calipers.
You need the whole front end, forks sliders fender brace and so on. Not a drop in.
Like I say, I could be mistaken. Good luck. St.
Some good advice right there, to which I’d add snag the wheel and rotors too. One of the BMW parters should be able to help source the bits.

best,
DeVern

R65's were never fitted with the pivoting ATE calipers. There was a version that ATE produced that was very similar to the Brembo two piston calpers used on the 79 to 84 R65's. They was typically silver instead of the black.
Given the choice I would go with the the smaller piston master cylinder. It will reduce the effort required at the brake lever slightly.
Good luck,
Scott

LOL, very similar can be very expensive. To go from a single to double brake means finding at least one fork unit. The question then remains does the ATE similar caliper just drop in to place or is interchangeable with Brembos?
Would the front end and parts from a R65LS work?
I did a conversion of ATE brakes to Brembo brakes on my R100RS, I got very lucky I was able to source used parts very cheap from a "custom" bike builder or things would have been very expensive and frankly not worth the effort. St.

Back