• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1300gs

As with most of their models, the actual on floor starting price will be $24,XXX+. With additional accessories and options still available. 99% of BMW bike shipments include premium package and more. And of course the most sought after colors are extra from the get go.

I'll wait till the last year of production so all the bugs are out of it. Did that with all my BMW's and so far that worked out....:D

I just ordered a 1300 GS in triple black. After having a FJR 1300 my main concern is maintenance costs.
I’ve done all my own maintenance on my Vincent for the last 40 years, and on the FJR for the last 5 - I’m not about to take the 1300 to the dealer for everything.

I just ordered a 1300 GS in triple black. After having a FJR 1300 my main concern is maintenance costs.
I’ve done all my own maintenance on my Vincent for the last 40 years, and on the FJR for the last 5 - I’m not about to take the 1300 to the dealer for everything.

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the Darkside. If the the R1300 is anything like the 1200s and 1250s you will be delighted with how easy it is to do routine maintenance. You can complete a valve check in less time than it takes to get the FJR’s valve cover off.

Pterodactyl

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the Darkside. If the the R1300 is anything like the 1200s and 1250s you will be delighted with how easy it is to do routine maintenance. You can complete a valve check in less time than it takes to get the FJR’s valve cover off.

Pterodactyl

From a former FJR owner, this is the truth for sure.

I do love working on my 1200 GS.

After a BMW 07 LT Brick, I fell in love with the 15 RT, and now a 17 GS.

Spinning a wrench is therapy.

I’m looking for recommendations on brands for upper & lower crashbars, hard cases, sidestand foot enlargers.
I’ve settled on Clearwater Darlas for crashbar mounted lights.

I’m looking for recommendations on brands for upper & lower crashbars, hard cases, sidestand foot enlargers.

We have never owned a GS but on all of our BMWs since 1984 we have always purchased the BMW bags and have been happy with them.
Not cheap but we always felt they were worth the price.
The new Vario bags for the R1300GS look good.
If you want aluminum bags, Touratech makes nice bags. https://www.touratech.com/zega-pro-aluminium-pannier-system-for-bmw-r1300gs.html

We have never owned a GS but on all of our BMWs since 1984 we have always purchased the BMW bags and have been happy with them.
Not cheap but we always felt they were worth the price.
The new Vario bags for the R1300GS look good.
If you want aluminum bags, Touratech makes nice bags. https://www.touratech.com/zega-pro-aluminium-pannier-system-for-bmw-r1300gs.html

The ADV style bags are Touratech, at least on the 1250. Has the labels on the inside and everything.

I always go with BMW bags. And liners.

I haven't decided on crashbars, etc. yet, but I am going to order the new varios with my R1300GS. Kind of looking at Touratech for bars and sidestand enlarger, but waiting to see what else comes out between now and delivery. I suspect we have a few months yet before we start seeing bikes stateside, but who knows..

Ilium

Keep your eyes on Iliumworks, see what they might produce in the near future. I really like their stuff. https://iliumworks.com/index.cfm .
Clearwaters are the best; I have the Darlas and Ericas. https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/bmw-r-series-motorcycle-led-lights-by-bike .

The ADV style bags are Touratech, at least on the 1250. Has the labels on the inside and everything.

I always go with BMW bags. And liners.

I mentioned Touratech because I didn't see the ADV style bags on the R1300GS option list.

I mentioned Touratech because I didn't see the ADV style bags on the R1300GS option list.

Interesting. I didn't catch that. Much appreciated for when I buy one of them used in a few years. :ha

Lot’s of reading & lots of questions.
What error code/service message reset tool is used by most people? I have a reader that plugs into the OBDII port on my FJR - will it work?

Bob, If you don't plan on extensive off road riding the BMW Vario Cases look interesting:
The Enduro Vario cases find a secure attachment point on the case holders on the left and right. As an electrical interface, the magnetic coupling forms the basis for functions such as interior lighting and USB charging sockets.
Product details
High-quality aluminum holder
Magnetic coupling for electrical case functions
Optimally integrated

If you plan on Off-Roading go with Mosko Moto Soft Bags and mounts

Thanks John…they look interesting..but I’ve been watching a bunch of YouTube video’s..and some of the comments on the Vario cases are that some won’t lock, and some won’t unlock..which tells me that the connection(s) can be iffy.
I don’t plan on going off-road..the bike is spec’d for pavement.

It looks like the GS911 code reader/reset tool is the one to get, with the newer rectangular connector, not the older round one. Are any of the cheap knockoffs from eBay worth considering?

It looks like the GS911 code reader/reset tool is the one to get, with the newer rectangular connector, not the older round one. Are any of the cheap knockoffs from eBay worth considering?

Bob, I’ve had GS911s for as long as they’ve existed. They are a good tool and have served me well. That being said, I suggest you take a look at MotoScan as an alternative. The MotoScan is less expensive and more capable. John is an experienced user of MotoScan and better equipped to explain how MotoScan works.

Bob, I’ve had GS911s for as long as they’ve existed. They are a good tool and have served me well. That being said, I suggest you take a look at MotoScan as an alternative. The MotoScan is less expensive and more capable. John is an experienced user of MotoScan and better equipped to explain how MotoScan works.

I agree.
I have a GS911 and if I had to do it over I would probably be better off with MotoScan for my basic needs.

Back