• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RS mods

rhodetrip

I was looking for an R1200RT, my local dealer doesn’t have on but has an RS on the floor. It is a great looking bike and I wanted to like it but was a little too cramped for me and too much wind noise (average height, 5’11”, 31” inseam). So my questions are, has anyone lowered the pegs, added risers and after market screen? Which ones and what did you think?
Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the forum!
At the bottom of the page there are some threads that may interest you in the similar threads pane.
Good luck.
Gary

The R1200RS is a lighter, lower C of G, better handling, sport touring version of the R1200 family of bikes. It is all a matter of what you value most.

I chose the RS after having ridden earlier versions of the RT for many years and miles. The newer RTs just got to big, to bulbous, to heavy for my taste.

I like the smaller, trimer fairing. It gives me all the wind / weather protection I need. I like the less weight, lower C of G which make it easier to handle in the parking lot but helps most in the twisties.

I did make some mods to tailor the bike to my older body. I lowered the pegs the help old knees. I got a wider, (not higher) windscreen to keep the rain off my shoulders. I also got 1 inch bar risers to make up for my shorter arms.

To my surprise I found the stock seat ( second highest option) to be comfortable so unlike my last 3 BMWs I did not need to get an aftermarket seat.

It is clear that the RS is not the best seller of the BMW line, but it suits my needs the best of any BMW now available.

He is a link to an RS forum https://www.r1200rsforum.com

I owned a 2009 RT for about 35K miles. Now I have a 2018 RS. I put an Aeroflow tall sport screen on it and a set of Helibars. I put the Helibars on after 4K and I really like them. They raise the bars 1 1/4” and set them back 1”. I like the RS because of the long wheel base giving stability on the highway and because the seat is narrower than on an RT. The RT saddle is made for sitting back with a lot of weight on the saddle. The RS seat is narrower and with the Helibars the rider triangle is more comfortable for me with a little more weigh on the pegs

I am an older gent and also appreciate the RS for its lighter weight and smaller size. But like the others I have had to make some mods. Knight Design lowered pegs, bar risers, and a Kappa windscreen. (made by Givi) I am 5.9 with a 32 inseam. With the Kappa screen I can see over the top, yet remain in a nice cone of silence. The screen is just the perfect size to deflect the air over the top of my helmet. With earplugs, which I always wear, the sound of the exhaust and the wind is so reduced it's ridiculous. I feel like I am riding in silence. I now call it my RT Lite.

I just got home from riding my RS over 12,000 km to the west Coast and back from PEI Canada. Yes, the windshield is noisy. No problem with foot pegs or seat. I’m 5’10” 73 years old, and find the RS very comfortable. You’ll love the handling and light weight.

I have the helibars, and just ordered a Givi wind screen as post #6 recommends.
I had bought the Aeroflow sport standard which removed the turbulence of stock, but at freeway speed still to loud..
I am 5'7" 29 " inseam 58 yr's old for comparison. The RS fits me great, and is a lot of fun for me.

Thanks for all the input, I decided the lighter weight of the RS along with a few modifications was the way for me to go. I put a deposit on a new 2018 at the local dealer.
Jim

Wow, that’s quite a ride. What do you use for luggage? I use the BMW panniers and a Shad 49 litre top case.

I used the BMW cases (absolutely watertight), a Bags Connection City tank bag, a Cortech tailbag and a 20 l drybag. I took too much; I could have saved the drybag.

Back