• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200 rt or R1200GS Exclusive that is the question

Just ordered 2017 GS Exclusive, was thinking about R1200RT, currently riding 2003 K1200T, like to have input on pros and cons on the GS vs's RT

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! The Online Central forum is primarily for discussion things regarding the website and/or other online MOA activities. In order to get better visibility of your question, one of the Moderators will move it to a more appropriate location. Since your question cuts across various BMW models, likely your post will be moved to the Motorrad forum. So, hang on, and wait for the post to be moved!

Just ordered 2017 GS Exclusive, was thinking about R1200RT, currently riding 2003 K1200T, like to have input on pros and cons on the GS vs's RT

I own a 2016 R1200RS, and couldn't be happier with every aspect of the bike--it's sporty, practical (toss on the hard bags for long trips), comfortable, and damn sexy looking.

Why they seem to be over-looked and under-selling here in the U.S. is a mystery to me.

Give it a look...I'd wager you could get a great deal.

--Slipstream

Unless you are going where you need the capabilities of the GS, the RT is a better ride. Better protection from elements so more comfortable for all weather long pavement hauls. Just don't try sand or Alaska "roads" with calcium chloride mix.
Several former GS riders in our club have gone back to the RT as they've gotten older.
But the RS and R also have a place for road use and one might be a better pick if you do urban, play or shorter (eg commute) runs mostly.- which it can in the hands of a good enough rider.

I suspect a lot of GS owners buy it for the image of "go anywhere" - which it can in the hands of a good enough rider. But many never use its full potential, sticking to pavement. For me at age 70, the GS is way more than I want to pilot off road and I'm well past the point of being physically able to tackle Alaska's unpaved stuff where it is the bike of choice. What I do on fireroads and gravel is with an 89 Transalp and that light duty offroad is enough for me these days. I use an 08 RT on road.

There is no perfect all purpose bike- its what you do with it that determines the best fit. Which is why many own more than one.

It really depends how how you really want to ride.

The GS "look" has huge marketing attraction to a lot of people. Just look at all the copies by other brands.

However, as soon as a GS rider puts so called 90/10 tires (which I contend offer no or only very very little mud traction over street tires) it's performance is essentially the same as any road bike, RT, RS, R, RnineT etc etc.

The higher ground clearance has no value on dirt roads, degrades pavement handling, and makes the bike more top heavy.

If you are serious off road adventure rider there are better bike that the big GS, the lighter F800GS, or lighter evan KLR or lighter still the many 400cc bikes.

I've settled on the RS as it is lighter and less bulky than the RT and does dirt roads just fine. ps I can flat foot both feet any time I want.

But as always bike are for fun, if the big GS makes your day. Buy it!

It really depends how how you really want to ride.

The GS "look" has huge marketing attraction to a lot of people. Just look at all the copies by other brands.

However, as soon as a GS rider puts so called 90/10 tires (which I contend offer no or only very very little mud traction over street tires) it's performance is essentially the same as any road bike, RT, RS, R, RnineT etc etc.

The higher ground clearance has no value on dirt roads, degrades pavement handling, and makes the bike more top heavy.

If you are serious off road adventure rider there are better bike that the big GS, the lighter F800GS, or lighter evan KLR or lighter still the many 400cc bikes.

I've settled on the RS as it is lighter and less bulky than the RT and does dirt roads just fine. ps I can flat foot both feet any time I want.

But as always bike are for fun, if the big GS makes your day. Buy it!
I'm with Bob - the RS is the best of the lot!

When I first saw a BMW back in the '60's I wanted one. Couldn't afford one for a very long time. The RT was "the one", I thought. As time passed I watched its plastic expand and its price climb. After chasing GS's owned by two excellent rider friends over WV, NC and TN back roads I started to do some serious thinking. That GS isn't a dual sport, it is a serious twisty runner that if you are so inclined you can take down some dirt roads. 90/10, 80/20's, screw that, my Anakee's came off and PR4's went on. To me, the test has always been about running down a road like the Snake or Cherohala Skyway, just to give some examples of roads lots of folks in the East know. Maybe the RS is Ok, and I know the RT is a good bike, BUT the GS just wails through turns and you can ride it all day without getting a bit tired.

Back