• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT Brake Failure light flashing

I called Capitol BMW shop foreman today, which I should have done weeks ago. After I explained flashing brake failure light he explained that it's normal for it to flash until you drive off (which is what someone on this forum had already told me!),

Don't take this the wrong way but one thing you might also want to do is read the Rider's Manual and Maintenance Instructions booklets. If you don't have them, get them. A lot of info (like why your brake warning lights are flashing) is in the manual. It'll make you more familiar with your bike and do ya good! I still ask my fair share of dumbass questions here but you'll find that these folks are a tolerant lot. :D

Enjoy your ride. :thumb

Last edited:
I called Capitol BMW shop foreman today, which I should have done weeks ago. After I explained flashing brake failure light he explained that it's normal for it to flash until you drive off (which is what someone on this forum had already told me!), ; that if it goes out as soon as the wheels start turning, and thus activate the wheel sensors, then everything is ok. Man am I relieved! I've made an appt. with him to flush brake system the middle of this month, and while it's expensive as the dickens, at least I will know that it is done right. After that I may venture out and flush the system myself in a year or so. Even though I haven't had any work done by Capitol BMW I really believe they are a good dealer. At least John, the service manager has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. As soon as it stops raining I'll be hitting the road, and not afraid of the brakes anymore.:clap

Glad to hear you sorted it out. I for one was still under the impression that the lights kept flashing while you were riding down the road which is indicative of an ABS error.

Bleeding the 1150 brakes can be a bit daunting the first time but many of the guys here do it themselves so lots of threads and help available when you decide to plunge in.

No shortage of bad information in this thread!

The fault codes for your brake system are shown on my web page but I copied them below. The one for fluid level does not refer to the reservoirs that you can see; they are for the reservoir that's internal to the ABS unit. The one for the bulb can be a bit confusing because you won't always be able to actually see that the bulb is bad since the ABS unit will compensate if possible (running the unbroken filament in place of the broken one, etc). So if the lights tell you you have a bad bulb, just replace it!

Installing the PC680 on an 1150 model requires (for me) grinding the brass angle bracket a bit so it meets the negative cable properly. I've had terrific results with the Odyssey batteries; they are all I sell right now.

Fault codes:
Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Intergral ABS too low.Low-voltage

Anton - re: i-ABS

Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Intergral ABS too low.Low-voltage

I noticed your web site doesn't state Low-voltage for Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz. If low voltage is the issue, will alternating at 1hz be the indicator as stated above? I realize a low voltage failure isn't common like it is on the ABS-2 bikes. The bike currently in question is a 2002 R1150RS which has a steady Gen light and a 1Hz ABS light

What I mean is, low-voltage is not a listed fault for iABS. Alternating lights indicates low voltage on ABS2, but that's irrelevant.

Back