• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150GS Oil Cooler Access

M

MOTOPERRO

While washing my 2001 GS the other day (look, I only do it once or twice a year) I noticed the oil cooler was loose in the housing. I believe it is supposed to be attached with rubber grommets, and definitely should not have the movement this one has. I've never had it apart, but purchased used I don't know about the PO. I find contradicting info on how to access the oil cooler... one, that the fuel tank must be removed, and the other, that you only need to remove the 'beak'.

Has anyone had to access the cooler, and can confirm the best approach to use? Now that I know about this issue it makes me nervous to know it's bouncing around in the housing (that's what I get for washing a perfectly dirty GS!).

Appreciate all responses!

Last edited:
Update

I removed the beak today, and discovered the following:

- As suspected, the cooler was not secured to anything; it was held in place by the oil lines and oversized confinement area of the plastic housing below the dash with about 3/4 inch of excess play.
- The orientation is different than that of the M503-3 Clymer manual (page 202, Fig. 198). The beveled corners are on the top, and the attachment ears are on the bottom. Parts microfiche reflect the same orientation as the Clymer. So either there were different versions offered for the 2001 GS, or I have something unique.

Microfiche identifies the correct bolt as an M6x25, but I purchased an M6x30 (I like to see at least two full threads past the nut) and placed a washer between the attachment ear and the plastic housing. Beak removal was relatively straightforward, the most time consuming steps were removing the turn indicators.

All is good again, at least until I wash my bike again sometime next year :blush

Back