• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100 RT electrical help?

tmass

My 96 R1100rt was running made a stop and bike would not start. I have replaced battery with new one it did start briefly but then going back to the bike battery completely dead. I have tried 3 separate batteries but it seems to not have enough to start it but it does try and then the battery just died. First replacement was the identical battery that was in the bike when I bought it rode for about 5 weeks with no issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check and how. I am using 22 (2) and a 21(1) amp hour agm battery. Trying to crank over it drains the batteries to zero charge in seconds. Maybe 2 at most, not sure how to even test stuff with my multimeter when I can't even supply power long enough.

First off, welcome to the forum.

My feeling is that you don't have a battery problem. You may, however, have a starter issue. Or something to do with the starter.

Other more experienced minds should chime in soon.

So it is still another day till my repair Manual comes in any idea the resistance or some way to check this with my meter? The starter doesn't seem that hard to get to now that all the Tupperware is off but would hate to take it off and apart if it does end up being something else.

So it is still another day till my repair Manual comes in any idea the resistance or some way to check this with my meter? The starter doesn't seem that hard to get to now that all the Tupperware is off but would hate to take it off and apart if it does end up being something else.
Measuring resistance won't prove anything in this case.
If you had a Hall effect DC clamp on ammeter you could measure the current while cranking. A reasonable figure would be in the 175 amp range.
In your case I'm betting double or more that due to the friction caused by the stuck magnets.
The mere fact that you are flattening batteries near instantly points to that issue.
It takes less than 5 minutes to pull out the starter once exposed.

Thanks Guys. Starter was the problem got a new one in and jumped it started right up. Now I just need to get a good battery in it.

Back