• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r1100 airbox drain plug

It will come out, doesn't have a tether. Just be ready if there is more than a dribble waiting there. :banghead

It will turn 90 degrees and dangle loosely (and release a bit of oil) but won't directly pull out OR turn any farther. Which is the correct next step. I hesitate to herc on 20-year-old plastic parts.:uhoh

One-Quarter turn counter-clockwise as viewed from underneath (just like the filler plug on the left valve cover), it drops out all the way (unless it's never been done before...); have a little paper cup wedged in there to catch the spill. Anything more than a couple of tea- or tablespoons means either it hasn't been done in a while or the crankcase was a bit overfilled at some time.
Glenn - if yours "dangles loosely", it's time for a new O-ring.

One-Quarter turn counter-clockwise as viewed from underneath (just like the filler plug on the left valve cover), it drops out all the way (unless it's never been done before...); have a little paper cup wedged in there to catch the spill. Anything more than a couple of tea- or tablespoons means either it hasn't been done in a while or the crankcase was a bit overfilled at some time.
Glenn - if yours "dangles loosely", it's time for a new O-ring.

I meant it opens at a quarter-turn, drops about 1/4", then dangles there, hung up on something that prevents me from removing it. It feels like a keeper of some kind.

Odd... on my third oilhead now, and none of them had any kind of retainer. Maybe the previous owner added a tether?

Back