• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 80 ST Front Wheel Bearing Hell

carockwell

After two months of trial and error, and waiting for parts I think I might finally have my front wheel bearing adjusted correctly. Read this (partly for amusement) and let me know what you think:

1. Use the shake method and notice that the front wheel has no bearing play as soon as any torque is placed on the axle nut.
2. Measure front wedding band spacer and order smaller sizes.
3. Assemble wheel with smaller wedding bands and suddenly have the Polish engineer moment when I realize I need LARGER wedding bands to reduce bearing preload.
4. Order larger wedding bands and assemble wheel with correct preload. Job should be finished but noooooo......
5. Go to apply fresh bearing grease and final seals and notice the bearing races spin by hand...
6. Order new $900 front wheel
7. New front wheel has no bearing play (shake method) as soon as axle nut is spun on.
8. Measure wedding band in wheel and order larger sizes.
9. Assemble new wheel with new weddings bands and select the correct size. Do final assembly with new grease and seals. Recheck axle preload and everything is okay.
10. Install brake discs and.....the wheels shakes! I need a smaller wedding band after torquing on the brake discs (my R 80 ST has dual discs).
11. Order smaller wedding bands.......I now have quite a collection!
12.Remove seals, install new wedding bands until I get the one that shakes until 10 ft-lbs is applied, then no movement. Install new grease and new seals.
13. Bolt it all up with brake discs attached, torque axle nut to 27 ft-lbs for final assembly, and Voila! The job is done......SOB!

Working on Airheads is SOOoooo much fun.

Sounds about right.

But you could have saved about $700 by buying a used hub with good bearing lands.

And, you got a lesson here about snugging up the axle (with a sleeve) to check bearing play before trying to install the wheel on the bike.

If the brake drum is acceptable size, save your old hub and have a machinist install steel sleeves for the bearing lands on both sides. You'll probably have to despoke the hub, but you can respoke with stainless steel spokes and have a nice spare wheel.

pmdave

I got some shims from Duane Ausherman which can be very useful to help find the right set up. Look at this page and search for "shim":

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/wheel_bearing/

The shims work by adding small amounts to a slightly too thin wedding spacer until you find the right combination that works. I'm not sure if he's still make these...he used to sell them on ebay.

Could also have saved some grief by modifying an R11xx 4 pot Brembo so you'd have a less unsprung weight. Bolt on after shaving the caliper tabs.

Complete frame up...new leather interior in one corner, new S90 engine sitting in a crate, powder coated upgraded suspension, etc.

Just write checks and don't add the total..only way to stay reasonably sane:cry

One of the first 200 that came into the country

Back