• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Questions

stevenrankin

I have questions,

Do the majority of you who use this forum Motorrad and Airhead want a straight cheerleading format? Or are you OKAY with discussing BMW issues warts and all?

Am I wrong to share my strong negative opinions regarding modern BMW corporate image, dealerships, and quality if said opinions and beliefs are based on conversations with BMW mechanics, managers, salespeople and former dealership owners. Lets not forget my own problems and issues with BMW?

How much harm do you think my comments does to BMW? How much harm do I do to the BMWMOA? St.

Steve,

I appreciate your comments—both positive and negative. However, it is important to remember that what you may consider to be a negative another might consider a positive, and, vice versa. As such, one in that situation could feel the desire to make (or argue) their point of view.

As with most things, there are positive and negative things. Is it reasonable to concentrate on only the positive or only the negative?

We all have different backgrounds, experiences, desires, etc. As such, we’re bound to disagree with one another at times. It’s important to not take personally and just realize that sometimes we’re just going to have to agree to disagree rather than to continue to argue our point of view.

I think you should be able to state the good, the bad and the ugly if your motives are to help others instead of hurt others and your statements are made based on facts and not on conjecture. But once is enough. Anything repeated over and over and over only makes the repeater lose credibility. Also I think it is important that everybody play by the same rules and get judged equally regardless of who they are or who they hang with. I also think it is important not to read things into responses that aren’t really there just to make your point. That doesn’t serve any good purpose. But we should strive to maximize the positive, minimize the negative and apply grace and mercy liberally to all. The environment needs to be welcoming instead of threatening and conducive to growth.

I think you should be able to state the good, the bad and the ugly if your motives are to help others instead of hurt others and your statements are made based on facts and not on conjecture. But once is enough. Anything repeated over and over and over only makes the repeater lose credibility. Also I think it is important that everybody play by the same rules and get judged equally regardless of who they are or who they hang with. I also think it is important not to read things into responses that aren’t really there just to make your point. That doesn’t serve any good purpose. But we should strive to maximize the positive, minimize the negative and apply grace and mercy liberally to all. The environment needs to be welcoming instead of threatening and conducive to growth.

+1

A little is enough. I don’t come to forums to read a lot of negative posts, but I understand the need for it at times. No matter the motivation behind the post, too much negativity wears thin, and ultimately accomplishes very little.

Do the majority of you who use this forum Motorrad and Airhead want a straight cheerleading format? Or are you OKAY with discussing BMW issues warts and all?

Why not! I call a spade a spade. People hate hearing facts.

I remember my airhead starter throwing magnets and I was not the only one that experienced that. That was long before Valeo starters were available in the aftermarket so I DIY'd it and fixed it right some 30 years ago.

I remember the starter on R1150 GS Adventure failing because the plate separated and shorted against the commutator. I replaced it and fixed it on my original starter that is a spare now. And many experienced that as well, if they were a DIYer and took it apart.

Way back in the early 1990s, I bought a product advertized in the BMWMOA called the Colortune. I have dealt with BAI who sold the Colortune in the past when ordering Bing carb parts from them.

I used the Colortune as directed, no load and while parked in my garage which was hand threaded in. I tried to take it out and it was stuck. Once I did get it out, I took some measurements and none of them met the SAE or British spark plug thread standards in the 23rd Machinery's Handbook. Even Oak Okleshen who wrote for the Owner's News agreed with me (article back then in the ON). That left a bad taste in my mouth because the BMWMOA did absolutely nothing and neither did BAI. I obviously had a dud based on my measurements. I guess advertizing dollars count more than members.

Last edited:

You also missed "the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information".

And don't I know it as I am on a few forums. Lots of perople trying to up their post count who know absolutely nothing. I wonder if they would work on an aircraft that they then had to fly the next day. :laugh

I have questions,

Am I wrong to share my strong negative opinions regarding modern BMW corporate image, dealerships, and quality if said opinions and beliefs are based on conversations with BMW mechanics, managers, salespeople and former dealership owners. Lets not forget my own problems and issues with BMW?

How much harm do you think my comments does to BMW? How much harm do I do to the BMWMOA? St.

Know that we heard you the first time when someone has a complaint. Don't be like the guy that keeps having a meltdown about having to pump his own gas every time you mention Oregon. Or all the gun folks refusing to travel to the west coast because they can't be armed. Or folks mentioning for the 80th time that you can't buy a factory service manual. I simply don't care and I suspect a whole lot of other people don't give a FF either. We heard you the first time.

That kind of endlessly whiny content, including actively chasing off young riders over on the Facebook page is why I, a former president, had to take a break from this club for a few years. I suspect that some folks just are determined to have a problem at all times about something related to their BMW ownership.

Don't be the guy with one drum that he beats incessantly. I'd prefer not to have to put anyone on Ignore because all they do is complain. I'm here to learn about and share information about BMW motorcycles because I love them. I'm not here to listen to people Bitch Moan and Whine about a bill they got when they had the shop work on their bike, or how "the new stuff isn't as good as the old stuff" or any of the tropes fan sites can devolve into - especially this one.

Sure, BMW has issues as does any large corporation making consumer products. But does that need to be the lead in every post? Do some posters set themselves up to be the Eeyore of this site? They sure do. I've got better folks to talk with that will add positive energy to my day. My amygdala gets a good enough workout elsewhere without having to come in here and have it all lit up by some aggravation.

When folks are like that, I either put them on Ignore or scroll right by.

Your mileage may vary, but I curate my reading list here pretty hard.

Kbasa for MOA president!

(not that there's anything wrong with the current one!)

Been there, done that. :)

It's someone else's turn. I feel like I got most of what I intended to do accomplished during my tenure.

Straight up real information is good. Positive or negative is not the issue. Truth and facts count far more.

Back