• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RS Transmissions

jammess

Jammess
Here's a question I have concerning BMW transmissions. When BMW introduced the R1100RS in around 1993 and even before the oilhead days questions began about transmission issues. It seems a company named Getrag had been building BMW motorcycle transmissions since 1978 when BMW stopped building their own transmissions. Now in my case if any issue were to develop with the M93 transmission on my R1100RSL which was built in June of 1993 I would be totally out of luck in the repair of my transmission because BMW no long supports repair of the M93, M94, or M97. New parts are simply not available.

My R1100RSL is not likely to have a transmission issue since my bike only has 13,715 original miles and all put on by me but if it did I would have no choice but to try and find a used transmission and there aren't many available and none in new condition, far from it.

Now my question. I wonder how Getrag would respond to a repair inquiry? I would really like to think that if one were to ship the malfunctioning unit to Getrag in Germany that repair could be accomplished. What do you guys think? Ever heard of anyone attempting to go this route?

Not sure why you would ship it back to the manufacturer when there are plenty of competent mechanics here in the states. If, you had an issue why not start with your local BMW shop? It’s not rocket surgery.

According to Wikipedia, Getrag no longer exists. It made transmissions for BMW, Opel, Kia, and others before being absorbed by a larger company some years ago.

The early 1100’s were noted for transmission troubles and BMW had a brisk exchange program going for a while. Clacking at warm idle was a common complaint but as I recall there were more serious issues with the front input shaft bearing lubrication and many failed. Maybe that’s why the early designs are no longer supported?

If you are really worried and it's preventing you from getting a good night's sleep, you can look for a reasonably priced good used transmission to keep on the shelf just in case. This would most likely be less expensive than getting new parts from BWM, if parts were available.

Not sure why you would ship it back to the manufacturer when there are plenty of competent mechanics here in the states. If, you had an issue why not start with your local BMW shop? It’s not rocket surgery.

For one thing parts from BMW or anywhere else for an M93 trans are unavailable. As far as a local BMW shop goes there is one 60 miles from me but as far a competent goes I've not had any personal experience with them but I've heard stories and I've lived in these parts for a lot of years. There was a darn good BMW dealer in Southern Oregon that I've used dating back to the 70s but sadly his business was totally destroyed in a wildfire a couple years ago.

I'm not having any issues with my BMW and don't expect to have any. That said you never know and the transmission is most likely the weakest link on my early oilhead. As far as the rattling shift dogs in the M93 trans goes I've been using Motul 80-90 gear lube with the molybdenum additive for awhile and the transmission is absolutely quiet now and shifts smoothly. Used transmissions I would just as soon avoid if at all possible.

There was a darn good BMW dealer in Southern Oregon that I've used dating back to the 70s but sadly his business was totally destroyed in a wildfire a couple years ago.

If you’re referring to Hansen’s BMW in Medford, they have reopened in temporary quarters and have a new building in the works.

https://www.hansensmc.com/

And yes, they are A Good Shop.
:)

Best,
DeVern

Yes, I'm referring to Hansen's BMW and I know he has opened a shop. He no longer has a BMW franchise but at least he's still around. I always have had the thought that if I get too deep into a problem and need help he would be the go to guy. Craig and I went to the same high school with me preceding him by a decade or so. Spent my growing up years in the Rogue Valley long before I5 was built and wish it never had been but we won't go there. Grrrrrr..... Tom McCall where are ya when we need ya?

I'm not having any issues with my BMW and don't expect to have any. That said you never know and the transmission is most likely the weakest link on my early oilhead.[/QUOTE

If you're losing sleep over a perfectly running BMW with zero issues, maybe time to get a early 70's Harley Sportster. :)

My R1100RSL is not likely to have a transmission issue since my bike only has 13,715 original miles and all put on by me but if it did I would have no choice but to try and find a used transmission and there aren't many available and none in new condition, far from it.

When I was a kid I used to worry about getting hit by a meteor. About the same liklihood. :laugh

That may be debatable... My '97 R1100RT is one of the bikes that got its entire transmission replaced under warranty. (THANK YOU MARTY'S!) From Day One, it never shifted quite right - with 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd being the worst case, and repeatable at the dealer's. Several different oils and "letting it break in some more" were of Zero help.

On the other hand, I also had a '70 XLCH... lotsa fun when it ran, but never again...
Says the guy who bought an '87 FLHTC that had its own issues.

That may be debatable... My '97 R1100RT is one of the bikes that got its entire transmission replaced under warranty. (THANK YOU MARTY'S!) From Day One, it never shifted quite right - with 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd being the worst case, and repeatable at the dealer's. Several different oils and "letting it break in some more" were of Zero help.

On the other hand, I also had a '70 XLCH... lotsa fun when it ran, but never again...
Says the guy who bought an '87 FLHTC that had its own issues.

But....this was right out of the gate, it was obviously not working properly and it was replaced under warranty. A little different from what is keeping the OP awake at night. :brow

Not really keeping me awake at night just something I'm curious about. I think the odds very much favor my bike never having an issue. That and the fact that I probably won't be riding anything much longer due to advancing years. Me not the bike. From what I've been able to find out is that the M93 is probably the best of the three and if it does develop a problem the most likely issue would be bearings which I think are replaceable. I think very few M93 transmissions ever were produced. BMW went to the M94 only 3 months after my bike was built.

Here's a question I have concerning BMW transmissions. When BMW introduced the R1100RS in around 1993 and even before the oilhead days questions began about transmission issues. It seems a company named Getrag had been building BMW motorcycle transmissions since 1978 when BMW stopped building their own transmissions. Now in my case if any issue were to develop with the M93 transmission on my R1100RSL which was built in June of 1993 I would be totally out of luck in the repair of my transmission because BMW no long supports repair of the M93, M94, or M97. New parts are simply not available.

Now my question. I wonder how Getrag would respond to a repair inquiry? I would really like to think that if one were to ship the malfunctioning unit to Getrag in Germany that repair could be accomplished. What do you guys think? Ever heard of anyone attempting to go this route?

Your M93 might be noisy, but it'll reliably do what you need it to do, even though it sounds like a coffee can full of rocks. I'd just leave it alone.

We had a 93.5 RSL (pearl with the teal seat) and my wife put a ton of miles on it. We wound up replacing the clutch with the updated one and updated the cam chain tensioners, but aside from that, it had nearly 100K miles on it when we moved it on down the road.

Your M93 might be noisy, but it'll reliably do what you need it to do, even though it sounds like a coffee can full of rocks. I'd just leave it alone.

We had a 93.5 RSL (pearl with the teal seat) and my wife put a ton of miles on it. We wound up replacing the clutch with the updated one and updated the cam chain tensioners, but aside from that, it had nearly 100K miles on it when we moved it on down the road.

My M93 was noisy in the beginning but after I began using Motul 80/90 weight non-synthetic gear lube with molybdenum it is absolutely as quiet as any BMW I've ever owned from airheads to my '04 R1150RT (all sold). As a side note the '04 is the newest BMW I'll ever own just not into whistles and bells and all the complexities found in today's BMWs.

Also, with BMW's track record I wouldn't feel good with one of their newer bikes with the transmission integrated with the motor. To be fair Yamaha shot themselves in the foot when they went from a 5 speed to 6 speed transmissions in the 2016 and later FJR but at least they made it right with a huge recall so BMW isn't alone when it comes to screwing up. Why anyone would think they need 6 speeds in an FJR is beyond my simple mind.

Your 93.5 RSL sounds like it was identical to my 93.5 RSL including color both body and seat. I went with a Russell Day Long saddle that is close to the pearl body color. I do not miss all the rattling and rest assured I will definitely leave it alone other than changing the gear lube every two years if it needs it or not. I know Anton's address and phone #. Transmissions are beyond my pay grade.

1997 r1100gs

My 1997 R1100GS broke a transmission axel. Things were never the same after that. BMW paid for parts, I was stuck with labor. This was back in year 2002. After the repair, it would slip out of 2nd gear. I took it back and they went through it again and then they gave me the never come back again talk. BMW shop in Phoenix, Az. Shortly after it started falling out of third gear. I sold it to some maniac, but that's another story.
Yep, transmission problems on the R1100 is my experience.

My 94 RSs transmission suffered failed bearings very early on. I repaired it twice with new bearings, the third time it went at just over 30,000 Kms, I replaced the entire transmission with a BMW factory rebuilt unit. That transmission came with all the M97 internal updates, but is the same ratios and specs as the original M93, kind of a hybrid unit. It is still good at nearly 160,000 Kms, but has oddly developed a leak at the case halves. I'll pull it apart someday to deal with that - it's not a major problem , just a nuisance to keep clean.

Yes, from all I've read the open bearings can have issues. If I ever have issues I'll deal with it and I refuse to believe I wouldn't be able to solve the problem. A used transmission I would never ever get into especially never ever anything from eBay. Only internet source I've ever bought anything from is Amazon. Hmmm...come to think of it I found my FJR on eBay from a private seller in Montana and it was a great experience in 2016. Going up that way in May and might pay him a visit.

Yes, from all I've read the open bearings can have issues.

Sealed bearings inside a case filled with lubricant is counter-intuitive. But BMW had its reasons. Swarf (metal particles) left inside transmissions from the manufacturing and assembly processes were being washed into bearings in low mileage situations, causing premature failure. So instead of more scrupulous cleaning of assembled transmissions BMW chose to use sealed, greased bearings.

But if you have happened to drain gear oil (usually synthetic) that came out looking a bit like chocolate milk, what you then have is one or more bearings with the grease washed out, now lubricated by gear oil that looks like chocolate milk.

But if you have happened to drain gear oil (usually synthetic) that came out looking a bit like chocolate milk, what you then have is one or more bearings with the grease washed out, now lubricated by gear oil that looks like chocolate milk.

Or, a milky looking oil or lube can get that way if a bike is subject to quick, wide temperature swings. When "sweat" can be seen on the outside of an engine or other "heavy" metal item, the "sweat" in on the inside as well. While oil and water don't conventionally mix, there is an emulsification that occurs with the extreme "thrashing/mixing" that goes on when an engine is running.

OM

In my case using Motul 80-90 with moly about the only color I see when I drain the transmission is black and more black.:laugh

Back