• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question on Handlebar risers for 2008 R1200RT

Wunderlich Vario Handlebar Risers

I have the black ones on my '08 RT and love them. Yes they are pricey but I think that they are in a class by themselves by being able to adjust the amount of width (which was more comfortable for me) and setback. Plus I think that they are thicker than most.

A few things to be aware of though. Currently I have the bars set at mid width and about 2/3 back. At that setting the clutch line gets pulled tight when the bars are turned full right. Now there may be enough slack in the cables to remedy the situation, but the bodywork and possibly the fuel tank have to be removed to get some.

The other item is that the stock bar mounting face seals an O-ring which is over the fork tube. Maybe this in unique to the RTs with ESA (electronic suspension adjustment). The purpose of this O-ring is to keep water out of the top of the fork tubes. The installation of the Vario riser would not seal this off because of all the holes and adjustment slots in the riser base.

To remedy the situation, I replaced the O-ring with rubber disk that was the same thickness as the o-ring. However, one of riser slots was over that disk and the rubber distorted into the slot. The seal was questionable at best, so I cut a round disk out of .025" steel shim stock to fit over the rubber disk. That gave it the backing required to press the rubber flat, even through the slotted area.

Problem solved.

I have notified Wunderlich of these concerns and suggested adding something similar to the riser kit, especially at their prices.

Wunderlich Vario Handlebar Risers

Dean I totally agree about the quality and adjustability. I run mine full back and full width. Thanks for the mention about the o/rings as I did'nt notice if it was a problem when I installed and will have to inspect. In reference to the clutch line I did notice and felt it was a little too tight at full right lock. It bugged me enough that I pulled the l/s tuperware and was able to aquire enough slack by repostioning the line with new zipties. No need to pull fuel tank. I now have good clearance. Kind of a pain but worth the peace of mind even though I think if I would have left alone the line would have survived.

"I too installed the $69.95 ones from www.moto-techniques.com and love them. "

Ditto, another vote for moto-techniques... I love mine. They not only raised, but move them back a little. Just perfect for me at 5' 10"

Last edited:
The Surburban Machinery version comes witjh first class stainless hardware and in 2 hardware versions- one with a pair of longer bolts that accomodates the BMW Zumo mount. Good machining and finish match. I like mine.

FWIW, I'm 6' with a 35" sleeve length. The height rise and moderate setback is helpful and worthwhile but ideally I'd prefer yet a bit more setback than either the MotoTechnique or Surburban Machinery provide.

However, stock cables are too short to allow it. If I were to do a fully custom bar fit, one more more cable changes would be required. I'm guessing that this means you'd probably be getting custom ones made. If anyone has other info, I'd be interested to know it.

Wunderlich Vario Handlebar Risers - On ebay

Hi,
For those interested, there is a set of Wunderlich Vario Handlebar Risers on ebay right now. Could be a chance to pick them up at a realistic price...

I am 6'2" with long arms and some neck issues. Currently, I have Suburban Machinery risers on my '07. I would say that they're well made except that the mounting holes are just enough off-location that some of the screws were binding slightly during installation. No cable/hose problems with these risers. Unfortunately for me, it appears that I need my hand grips to be back farther much more than I need them to be up higher, so I'll be replacing the Suburbans with something that sets the bars back rather than up. I saw on that last link that Moto-Techniques has a kit for earlier R850/1100 bikes to adapt a conventional handlebar to an R-type mount. If they had a kit for the R1200RT I'd be all over it, but they don't. Maybe I can have my Suburban risers drilled to accept risers for conventional bars...hmmm

Back