• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question on Handlebar risers for 2008 R1200RT

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Does anyone have any experience with handlebar risers? I was looking at the set on Wunderlichamerica.com

Are they good to have? Make the ride more comfortable?

Do you have to change any cables or anything else? Or just add them?

Looking forward to some advice.
Thanks in advance for your comments.:D

Does anyone have any experience with handlebar risers? I was looking at the set on Wunderlichamerica.com

I installed the www.MotoTechiques.com risers -- both 1" rise and 1" to the rear. $70 vs. a lot more for the Wunderlich pieces.

I fitted the Wunderlich ones to my '08 RT....better price here in Europe.....

Simple to fit with no change of cables required.

For me they make a more upright riding position, less weight on arms/wrists etc.....

One more vote for the moto-techniques, on better price and equivalent result.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade and about a 5 minute job overall.

I have the Suburban Machinery risers. No cable changes necessary.

"Good to have" depends on your size and riding style. I prefer an upright riding style for touring. They made long rides more comfortable for me, but YMMV.

One more vote for the Moto Techniques. I installed them in less than 10 minutes. They made a big difference for me.

My issue with the handlebars was related to the angle of the bars. They seemed to "scrunch" my shoulders in by forcing my wrists to splay out. My solution was to have a machinist friend make a set of risers that reduced the handlebar angle. It worked out perfect for me. The net effect is that there is no rear offset as such, but a slight move toward a flatter handlebar angle, with the desirable rise thrown in.

Attachments

• RT Risers_Medium.jpg
    RT Risers_Medium.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 317
Do the Moto-techniques look as good as Planepaul's???

In the Moto-techniques photo (not a very good shot) the risers look like they match the top of the triple clamp on an R1150 Rt, but on a newer Rt that area is Black. so you would have 3 different finishes going on. The Black Triple clamp area, the riser and then the handlbars themselves which look more of a painted silver but still different then the silver trim on the rest of the bike?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Twisted Throttle handlebar risers for the R1200RT? Any feedback is appreciated.

Has anyone tried the Twisted Throttle handlebar risers for the R1200RT? Any feedback is appreciated.

Those are actually manufactured by Moto-Techniques. And yes I have them on my '09 RT.

Easy to install. Fit perfectly. Work great. hard to beat at the price. The finish does not "exactly" match the handlebars, but they are totally accepatble and I am a finicky bastard! they look fine!

http://www.moto-techniques.com/513056_risers.htm

I installed the Wunderlich adustable setbacks and I love them. Yes they are pricier but they allow not only up & back but also varied angles and you can add up to 1" width per side. The width increased leverage in the twisties and helped my arm angles. I bought black and they look awesome.

I installed the Wunderlich adustable setbacks and I love them. Yes they are pricier but they allow not only up & back but also varied angles and you can add up to 1" width per side. The width increased leverage in the twisties and helped my arm angles. I bought black and they look awesome.

They are also $235.00!

and yes the black would be sharp!

Yup. Got them on my '05 R1200RT.

Easy install and no problems with brake lines being long enough for 'lock-to-lock' turns of the handlebars.

Glad I got them - the set back was just enough to enhance my riding posture and make for more comfortable touring. :thumb

Back