• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Qeustions about the re-vamped forum

woodnsteel said:
Tequila for knary?.........Agreed.
6234448-M.jpg

:bottle

dang flash, you dont even get to vote with the new system. Until you hit 50 points, you cant diss anyone :stick looks like you need 77 good hits to even matter.

flash412 said:
Yeah... like I said, I wanted to know if it was broken (or fixed) before it even started. Seems it is both.

The Admins get more than ten points per vote and are probably the ones to vote me down to where I get zero votes before anyone even knew the system existed. Of course, we'll never know since you don't see who votes on you. Par for THIS course. :thumb

OK. Everyone raise their hand who thinks the voting system means squat? I don't see any hands. Does anyone?

Thanks for the rules. Sorry, but I have a few more questions on how this works... I have more than 300 posts, so I get 3 additional points per hit, right? When I top 1000, will that number be 11? But I have -27 points now (apparently I'm improving), so my hits don't count at all, right?

Actually the way it is that for every 100 points of reputation you would gain 1 point of influence over others. When you cross 1,000 posts you would gain 1 point of influence over others. However since you have been on the forum for over a year you have gained a point of influence

So each time you click to assign reputation to someone else they receive 2 points in the direction you sent them.

So by April, if I'm over 1000 posts, I will have a "weight" of 12 points per click, unless I have less than ten points in my own reputation, then my weight is zero, right?

Come April and your 1,000 post your influence would go to 4 points assuming that you have a reputation rating greater than 10.

And... if someone posts one good post and one bad post, you can't give them a kudo AND a brickbat until 20 other folks do?

Correct. The idea being that one can not keep clicking on the same person over and over again. Also one is limited to 10 reputation point assignments to another individual per 24 hour period, the idea being that they are of value and people will not just use them up. However if not everyone knows that portion of it, well they might just get used up.

--snippage---

I understand what you are saying about the simplification of the system. Since I personally did not put it into place, I won't comment on it. I read the destructions cause I was curious what the heck the reputation was.

Yes officer,......I HAVE been drinking...................
Apparently someone nicked me for starting this rascally thread, Therefore, a vote that I would never cast doesn't count anyway. On a show of hands, who wants me to croak this thread? I believe that as the originator, I have the prerogative to make the whole thing go away. What say you...?

lorazepam said:
dang flash, you dont even get to vote with the new system. Until you hit 50 points, you cant diss anyone :stick looks like you need 77 good hits to even matter.

Actually Flash would need to hit 10 points to vote. He has already posted 50 times. So he needs 37 points of influence to get back to being able to vote.

Since many of the people have been on the forum for over a year they then get 2 points of influence, and some people have over 1,000 posts that would give them 3 points of influence. It would take 18 people or so clicking on the "I agree" portion to get back to a point where Flash could vote.

flash412 said:
Yeah... like I said, I wanted to know if it was broken (or fixed) before it even started. Seems it is both.

The Admins get more than ten points per vote and are probably the ones to vote me down to where I get zero votes before anyone even knew the system existed. Of course, we'll never know since you don't see who votes on you. Par for THIS course. :thumb

Actually the admins get less influence points per vote than registered users. Admins are set at 2 points, that is a static number it does not change given tenure on the forum or number of posts. As an admin/moderator I assign 2 reputation per click, if I was just regular Brad who has more than 1,000 posts and been on the forum for a year I would have 3 reputations per click.

This approach places more weighting in the member's hands than in the moderator's hands.

woodnsteel said:
Yes officer,......I HAVE been drinking...................
Apparently someone nicked me for starting this rascally thread, Therefore, a vote that I would never cast doesn't count anyway. On a show of hands, who wants me to croak this thread? I believe that as the originator, I have the prerogative to make the whole thing go away. What say you...?

Actually I think you did a good thing starting the thread cause it gave people a chance to ask questions. :clap

I am confused. What useful purpose is served by the "reputation" feature?

Mark11LT said:
personally I don't care for the voting. If you don't like what I write, pm me or respond. Sounds like a grade school deal.

Remember "slam" books....?

Ian

flash412 said:

Admins get two points per click and you get 1 more point of power per 100 points of reputation. Also, you can't go back and assign points on someone until 20 other people have clicked on that person. This prevents someone from setting out to nail someone's reputation by clicking over and over again.

Everybody starts with ten points. I think that's a lot like how life works, most of us will trust someone until they give us reason not to. Your reputation also say "X" is not positive or negative. In other words, neutral. We're starting out at this value of ten, because, like in real life, you can be rotten once in a while and while people will think less of you, but not enough to think ill of you.

For someone to have voted on a person 5 times, 95 other people will have had to have voted on that person as well. I think over time, we'll see that reputations are based on broader terms that are controlled by the general populace.

I guess the bigger question is whether we want to have it at all. I saw the feature and just flipped the bit. It's not a big deal to flip it back, but I don't know whether folks have an opinion on the whole thing yet.

It seems to me that the reputation feature is a lot like a public trust factor or that ranking thing they have in ebay. One of the issues I see with it is that it's anonymous to a large degree.

I think itis cool to just be able to tell someone nice report with the scales. It beats reading 20 posts of folks saying the same thing. Saves space in the forum I would imagine.

Help

I started reading this thread because I was curious about the working of the new list. Now I think the system is absurd.

Count on this: I will NEVER, EVER rate someone else's posts. If I feel that someone has done something extremely well, I'll thank them in a personal message. For something bad, I'll report to the moderators, but I haven't yet so it probably will need to be extremely bad.

Now I have a headache. Does someone have an asprin?? :banghead

tb

WOW! :wow

As I slip in from the shadows of lurkerville, I see the horse as it crosses the finish line. He is however, beat with everything imaginable.

Time for the proverbial forkthis one is done, no? :bottle

I'm gonna put a poll up on the whole reputation thing and see what people think about it. It's a two minute function to turn it off and we're certainly not wed to it.

Viewing reputation scores and history

flash412 said:
please explain how I have negative forty-nine reputation points out with only five "votes." One was positive and four were negative.

I'm having trouble finding my current reputation count, and I don't see anywhere to see what the individual votes are.

Also, where do the comments go?

merrittgene said:
I'm having trouble finding my current reputation count, and I don't see anywhere to see what the individual votes are.

Also, where do the comments go?

You can find your current reputation count by click on your own scale icon. You can see your last five votes in your User CP. Remember it is only the last five votes but it does show what thread they were posted on and any comments that were added.

Back