• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Greetings! Iowa to Alaska in July/August

thetrashpanda

Hello everyone,

I recently bought my first BMW, a 2014 R1200GS(A) from an MOA member in KC, MO. I figured since the bike already had an MOA sticker, I might as well figure out what this organization is all about!

I bought the bike with the sole purpose of making it up to Prudhoe Bay, AK this year. In my usual fashion - I waited too long to do my trip research. It appears as though the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) system won't be operating all the way to Whittier this year due to staffing issues. Sadly this means I'll have to cross into Canada on the way up. Incase any of you folks have trips planned to Alaska in July/August, I'd love to connect with you. I'd love to hear any trip reports regarding route guidance that you may have.

This won't be my first impromptu land-trek. When the Pandemic started in 2020, I drove from New York to Southern Baja to spend quarantine on the beaches of Mexico (with tacos and tequila). It was a lovely experience. Even though I stood out like a sore thumb, due to my vehicle choice- I never encountered an issue.

Anyway, happy travels to you folks!

Attachments

• 990487DA-010E-4632-9998-D5A82D13AA3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    990487DA-010E-4632-9998-D5A82D13AA3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 0FCB96E3-10AA-4EF6-A007-580691AB6368_1_105_c.jpeg
    0FCB96E3-10AA-4EF6-A007-580691AB6368_1_105_c.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 7DF7374E-DCAF-46BC-93D7-EDA63D7B2937_1_105_c.jpeg
    7DF7374E-DCAF-46BC-93D7-EDA63D7B2937_1_105_c.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 77
Welcome to Club (and it's Business Model)... you are now well outfitted for adventure!

Nothing wrong with seeing BC & YT on the way to AK, it gives you great perspective on the topography
and raw distance into interior AK. All you need is time. Have a backup plan for the Dalton HY in case of weather
and your travel timing. Both routes lead into the Arctic Circle, one has less traffic, especially trucks, and truly...
better scenery to the coastline. You may know about the Adventure Rider website; if not... visit that.

The Dust to Dawson Gathering (not a rally) is just before the summer solstice in July, consider that.

Have a great journey and decent weather!

Years ago I was still working and was peeved when we decided to go to Alaska and I couldn't get the time off in July. But I could get off in June but I was still not happy. But then when looking at weather patterns I discovered that on average in the Yukon and much of Alaska July has twice as much rain as June and August has twice as much rain as July. We took the entire month of June and had one rainy day the entire trip. The worst mud we encountered in a construction zone was in downtown Deadwood, South Dakota on the way northwest.

Ten days of my Alaska trip was spent in BC and YT heading North and another week on the return via the Cassiar Highway through BC. Although I was a solo rider, I enjoyed several days during my trip riding with others I met on the way. I timed it to enjoy the 25th D to D. My trip was late May to mid July and, for the most part, the weather was good. If you have the time, I think you’ll really enjoy the riding in Canada. Have a great trip.

Doug

Are you trying to avoid riding in Canada? If so, why? The ride thru southern Alberta, BC and the Yukon will be some of the most memorable parts of your trip. IMHO a ride to Alaska should include going through Banff and Jasper National Parks (Icefield Parkway), taking the ALCAN zone way and the Cassiar Hwy the other, side trips to Hyder, Skagway and Dawson City. A trip to Alaska without a ride through Canada is much less than it should be.

Back