• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pulls to the right?

rchrdn2916

I've had this 2003 R1200CL for more than a year now and noticed at highway speeds if you let go of the handlebars it wants to go to the right. It's not severe but takes constant pressure to keep it going straight. If I lean to the left it will go straight with hands off the bars. My mechanic says this is normal for a boxer engine but I think it is a bit much. I've owned a lot of different motorcycles and never had this issue. I put a new tire on it a month after I purchased it and now a year later its wore out from cupping and down to the wear bars but only on the left side of the tire. Is this normal for a boxer engine BMW?

Welcome to the forum! There are a number of similar threads on "pulling to the right" in the pane at the bottom of the screen. Might not be specific to the R1200CL but it can give you some things to consider.

Welcome rchrdn2916.

PTTR is a known issue with the CL. Come visit Chromeheads.org for all your C questions and issues.

Hello and welcome !
No, it is not normal for a boxer to do that and it has nothing to do with the engine configuration and all to do with the suspension.
None of my boxer bikes or bricks have done that and it didn't matter which side the driveshaft is on either.

I suspect that the ball joint on the tele-lever may have some play in it and the forks may have more friction than normal. It is an older bike and I remember when I replaced the fork seals on my '06 R1150 GSA (75K miles) there was moisture in both forks. Also make sure the tire is balanced properly. Hope this helps. YMMV

Not normal for boxers... but definitely normal for the R1200C and R1200CL.

ALso, the CL typically has a spacer between the rear rim and the swing arm. You can try removing this spacer to see if it gets better.

However, my Montauk (CL front suspension without the fairing, C rear frame and transmission) does have the PTTR, and does NOT have the spacer.

Pttr

I had this problem with my R1100RT. I removed the spacer at the rear wheel and the problem went away.

Same

My R1100S does the same thing. Also assumed from previous readings that it was the Boxer lilt.

Wondering now about the 22yo suspension. :idea

There are several causes for a pull to the right. One prominent one is weight imbalance. Oilhead and classic K bikes, and some Airhead bikes have more transmission weight, all of the swingarm weight, and all of the final drive weight to the right of the center line of the wheels. This weight imbalance will cause the rider to need to counter the tendency to lean. About 15 extra pounds of stuff in the left saddlebag usually counters this weight.

At some locations the crown of the roadway will also contribute with a slight downhill pull to the right. As funny as it seems we found a slight pull to the left in South Africa and New Zealand riding F650 bikes. Ponder that!

Then there is the possibility of improper alignment due to wear, damage, or improper assembly. Telelever, Paralever, fork alignment, worn bushings, worn bearings, and bent things are all possibilities.

There are several causes for a pull to the right. One prominent one is weight imbalance. Oilhead and classic K bikes, and some Airhead bikes have more transmission weight, all of the swingarm weight, and all of the final drive weight to the right of the center line of the wheels. This weight imbalance will cause the rider to need to counter the tendency to lean. About 15 extra pounds of stuff in the left saddlebag usually counters this weight.

At some locations the crown of the roadway will also contribute with a slight downhill pull to the right. As funny as it seems we found a slight pull to the left in South Africa and New Zealand riding F650 bikes. Ponder that!

Then there is the possibility of improper alignment due to wear, damage, or improper assembly. Telelever, Paralever, fork alignment, worn bushings, worn bearings, and bent things are all possibilities.

Agree with Paul. My '04 RT pulls slightly to the right unless the left saddlebag is full. My R90s, OTOH, goes straight as an arrow, with or without my input on the bars. :)

This potential condition is the one I feel most idiotic for overlooking.

Must plan and perform testings on known flat surface and with pannier offset load technique to determine possible outcomes.

I still think there is a strong case to be made to the CFO per the acquisition of Ohlins components. :whistle

Back