• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Proposed Change to Rally Fee

I'm in favor of a Saturday only day pass.. I think different colors for different days would be too hard to administer. We would need a much larger pool of security volunteers.
Absolutely. Policing day passes available throughout the rally based on different colored wrist bands is not doable. Would you have volunteers from the security staff roaming around checking wristbands and ejecting those who'd overstayed there entry day? A single day admission, if offered, should be a Saturday only thing.

Absolutely. Policing day passes available throughout the rally based on different colored wrist bands is not doable. Would you have volunteers from the security staff roaming around checking wristbands and ejecting those who'd overstayed there entry day? A single day admission, if offered, should be a Saturday only thing.

Limiting the one-day pass to the last day seem logical. However, whenever the idea of multiple wristband color codes is offered, I do feel compelled to remind folks that 30% of all men have some form of color blindness. The color that is distinct to one guy, might be unnoticed by the next. So, you have to be careful with the color selections for your security personnel to be effective.

By comparison, color blindness is rare in women.

Oh, then we have those day-glow yellow stinky dots that are handed out at registration by volunteers like me. As one lady said......."It matches my new Hi-Viz helmet"

We have been to over 20 National rallies and have rarely stayed more than one day and would probably welcome a one day pass. We enjoy the ride to the rally and don't camp so we might catch a couple seminars and then leave. We have a friend that has a Goldwing and he has been to a few of the Wing Dings and they offer one day passes; I don't know how they handle it but he never stays over one day. I can understand keeping the public out for the entertainment and can understand the problem of monitoring one day passes as someone could easily come in and camp and spend the whole time. I am sure the powers that be will keep it like it is. We didn't make this past rally or last years but already have motel reservations for Billings and did make them for 3 nights but we might just stay 2 nights. Thankfully, an extra 20 or 40 dollars for the two of us won't be a problem.

We have been to over 20 National rallies and have rarely stayed more than one day and would probably welcome a one day pass. We enjoy the ride to the rally and don't camp so we might catch a couple seminars and then leave. We have a friend that has a Goldwing and he has been to a few of the Wing Dings and they offer one day passes; I don't know how they handle it but he never stays over one day. I can understand keeping the public out for the entertainment and can understand the problem of monitoring one day passes as someone could easily come in and camp and spend the whole time. I am sure the powers that be will keep it like it is. We didn't make this past rally or last years but already have motel reservations for Billings and did make them for 3 nights but we might just stay 2 nights. Thankfully, an extra 20 or 40 dollars for the two of us won't be a problem.

+1, Gunny; amazes me GWRRA has sold day passes at their Annual Rally forever and BMW MOA can't figure it out, I'd think we're smarter than Gold Wingers!

INFORMATION: DAY PASSES ARE SOLD ON-SITE, AT WING DING.

Price is $22 per person and only $15 per person with GWRRA membership.

DAY PASS INCLUDES:

One-day pass to indoor Trade Show
One-day access to Demo Rides on all participating manufacturers bikes (subject to availability).

Unless we decide to electrify the fences, illuminate the perimeter, place towers every 100 meters and run regular patrols with attack dogs, we are deluding ourselves if we think that even a half-determined half-wit cannot get into the rally grounds without paying anything. The impact of day passes on security is a lesser concern than the potential financial impact. Give it a try and findout if it has significant consquences then make a longterm decision.

We have been to over 20 National rallies and have rarely stayed more than one day and would probably welcome a one day pass. We enjoy the ride to the rally and don't camp so we might catch a couple seminars and then leave.

I think members like us are the reason they are reluctant to have day passes. A day pass is sufficient for me to see and do all I want to do at the rally. I would use the other days to enjoy riding in the area or places between the rally and home. The income for the rally would drop if a lot of members elected to get a day pass rather than pay full admission.

I have worked several music festivals with wristbands as entry ticket. Yes, I volunteered. No it wasn't terribly difficult. Yes, I did have to check bags for food/beverages/other prohibited items. No, it wasn't a lot of my life wasted. Yes, I spent a lot of the day sitting in the shade listening to the bands at my gate :dance

Admittedly, the rolling stop was interesting entering the rally grounds, but it isn't a huge inconvenience for taking the care and time to help ensure a peaceful, safe rally. Now if the TSA could only get as effective as our volunteers...:scratch

Wristbands can work quite well. Here at Road America, we have a half-dozen or more weekends a year where each time (usually a Thursday thru Sunday event) we host between 40,000 and 100,000 attendees - all of whom receive a wristband.

The wristbands are not only color-coded by date (and 20 yrs. of age or younger), but bear our corporate logo and have an individual serial number which corresponds to the person who purchased it. No counterfeiting - no sharing.

Our security staff (seasonal volunteers with minimal 'training') manage the crowds quite well, and number less than the MOA security personnel I saw wandering Sedalia when I worked as the Gates Chair.

I would however disagree with the idea of a 'Saturday Pass Only,' as that excludes those who can only make the rendezvous on a single particular day, i.e. Thursday or Friday; it's their Rally too!

As I commented in a previous post, it's neither rocket science nor a logistical Mt. Everest. I hope the new Board takes it out for a test ride in 2015.

Wristbands can work quite well. Here at Road America, we have a half-dozen or more weekends a year where each time (usually a Thursday thru Sunday event) we host between 40,000 and 100,000 attendees - all of whom receive a wristband.

The wristbands are not only color-coded by date (and 20 yrs. of age or younger), but bear our corporate logo and have an individual serial number which corresponds to the person who purchased it. No counterfeiting - no sharing.

Our security staff (seasonal volunteers with minimal 'training') manage the crowds quite well, and number less than the MOA security personnel I saw wandering Sedalia when I worked as the Gates Chair.

I would however disagree with the idea of a 'Saturday Pass Only,' as that excludes those who can only make the rendezvous on a single particular day, i.e. Thursday or Friday; it's their Rally too!

As I commented in a previous post, it's neither rocket science nor a logistical Mt. Everest. I hope the new Board takes it out for a test ride in 2015.

Thanks for that, Kevin. Good to have actual experiences input.

If Security is allowing folks to ride past a Gate without flashing a wristband: THEY ARE NOT EVEN DOING THEIR JOB! People sneaking in is much worse than day passes!

If our BMW Brothers can enforce the wristbands at Mexico MOA Rallies you would think we Gringos can do the same. Ruben T. and his Hermanos with their wristbands:

400248447_iRTMu-L.jpg

You better watch out for that guy in the blue shirt... he is *pure* trouble! :nod :ha

Hey, I have been to a Mexico national rally before... there's a different level of security there...

03_mex_national-X2.jpg

.... and several thousand fewer attendees.

Again, I think there's merit in the scale argument, but not sure that offsets the outreach argument. :dunno

Ian

Tebmw

Let me add another option for single day passes; single day passes to be sold as guest passes. I have no issue paying the $40 fee for 3 or 4 days, no matter how many I use. But this year, the party was in my town, and I had kids and friends who aren't members that would've liked to spend a single day at the rally, but the price to do so wasn't worth it to them.

I agree with the idea of a single day pass. The one problem would be how to monitor those who have a one-day pass. The answer is to use a stamp like those used for night clubs or motorcycle shows. No bikes or cars allowed and the stamp color changes each day. Those who pay full price get the wristband. It think this is doable and could generate more interest and more revenue.

Hope to see you at next year's rally.

Tom

Look at the Mexican Rally picture with a fresh eye.

Use a nice big blue tag on a lanyard.

Blue tag = day pass = visitor / potential member = someone MOA Ambasadors along with every MOA Member should greet and make welcome = someone local chartered clubs will want to meet and greet too.

No big blue tag around your neck, no wrist band of any appropriate color and security should do whatever it is security does now.

If you are concerned about overwhelming the rally with outsiders then limit the number of day passes sold on any given day.

I support the day pass idea because I see it as a recruiting tool for membership, a potential revenue builder for vendors and the MOA.

Sorry, but I do not agree. If I ever attend a rally, it would probably be only for a day and the vendors would be the primary reason. Having a group of vendors in one place to compare products that are catering specifically to BMW's would be the draw. I value the vendors to be there and peddle their products, the rest of the rally, I could do without beyond a day trip.

I'm almost the exact opposite of you. I go to hang out with good folks, have some drinks, enjoy the music, look at everyone's ride, etc. I'll look at the vendors, but that's about it. I also camp at the site. If I didn't, it might make it harder to justify paying full price.

One isn't better than another - just different folks.

Back to the original post, I wouldn't be opposed to a day pass to try out for a year. Members are $60 for the whole rally, so make it $25 for a day pass with a different colored wristband for whatever day. People truly interested in what's on site - such as the vendors or just looking at the bikes or seminars - will pay it. Riff raff probably won't pay that.

EDIT; after reading additional comments:

I say allow the day pass users to attend the seminars. Maybe there is someone local that wants to go to "how to motorcycle camp" seminar on Friday and check out the vendors. If they pay, let them go to it. Limiting the number of day passes is a good idea. Kids could be a lower price, too, with an adult purchase. $10 or less for kids attending with an adult.

Try day passes for a rally and if it doesn't work/loses too much money, then ditch it.

Last edited:
$30 day pass

+1 day passes.
Just reread the entire thread before I weighed in on a suggestion. It seems like the major concerns for not implementing are a loss of revenue, security, enforcement, and some logistics with the beer tent/identification.
Not a solution (not that hubris today) only a suggestion:
1. Set your day pass price just below your pre-registration price, or maybe your gate price. Most people will pay and feel good about that price if they feel like they got some equitable deal. The day pass doesn't have to be a rock bottom awesome deal to convince 3 day campers to change their rally format, just low enough to let those that aren't camping know that the MOA is fair and equitable.
2. It sounds like there has always been some degree of loss of revenue due to an inability to completely secure our MOA borders. There will always be that slight loss associated with any venue. Drive in theaters, open air concerts, retail stores, I think always write this into their bottom line. The good news is the vast majority of members (I'm guess 99% here) will pay and do the right thing. I also think the the vast majority of day pass folks will want to do the right thing. Case in point on this thread: one member was not checked by security multiple times coming and going, however, he was a paying customer. Also I think it holds some water that the arm band paying customer that brought two people (non-paying, possibly family members) would have paid had their been an equitable day pass option; their nafarious action may have stemmed from a feeling that what they did was fair simply because of a perceived lack of equity.
3. Beer tent option. Those with only day passes have to be carded. Or possibly once carded by bartender, bartender then stamps their hand like at a bar, seems easy.
4. Getting non members in to showcase the MOA seems like a no brainier.
5. Implement on a trial basis, one maybe two years. (I suggest 2 as I don't think accurate data can be derived from one year alone unless the results are significant and even this could be a novelty spike) with implementation there will be a need for collection of data and it's analysis. Revenue alone cannot be the only matrix for success as long term success has multiple markers that indicate the direction of growth or decline. Other variables would included things like: new memberships that can be directly coorilated with the rally or with day passes, vendor revenue loss or growth, claims or complaints associated with increase, decrease, or no change in loss due to theft, or even an increase in the awareness footprint of the MOA due to more access to the site by local enthusiast, member or otherwise.

I think the idea merits at least a trial implementation. The key would be unbiased data analysis, as this thread seems to demonstrate on more than one occasion that there have been some false perceptions concerning this issue in the past.

+1 day passes.
Just reread the entire thread before I weighed in on a suggestion. It seems like the major concerns for not implementing are a loss of revenue, security, enforcement, and some logistics with the beer tent/identification.
Not a solution (not that hubris today) only a suggestion:
1. Set your day pass price just below your pre-registration price, or maybe your gate price. Most people will pay and feel good about that price if they feel like they got some equitable deal. The day pass doesn't have to be a rock bottom awesome deal to convince 3 day campers to change their rally format, just low enough to let those that aren't camping know that the MOA is fair and equitable.
2. It sounds like there has always been some degree of loss of revenue due to an inability to completely secure our MOA borders. There will always be that slight loss associated with any venue. Drive in theaters, open air concerts, retail stores, I think always write this into their bottom line. The good news is the vast majority of members (I'm guess 99% here) will pay and do the right thing. I also think the the vast majority of day pass folks will want to do the right thing. Case in point on this thread: one member was not checked by security multiple times coming and going, however, he was a paying customer. Also I think it holds some water that the arm band paying customer that brought two people (non-paying, possibly family members) would have paid had their been an equitable day pass option; their nafarious action may have stemmed from a feeling that what they did was fair simply because of a perceived lack of equity.
3. Beer tent option. Those with only day passes have to be carded. Or possibly once carded by bartender, bartender then stamps their hand like at a bar, seems easy.
4. Getting non members in to showcase the MOA seems like a no brainier.
5. Implement on a trial basis, one maybe two years. (I suggest 2 as I don't think accurate data can be derived from one year alone unless the results are significant and even this could be a novelty spike) with implementation there will be a need for collection of data and it's analysis. Revenue alone cannot be the only matrix for success as long term success has multiple markers that indicate the direction of growth or decline. Other variables would included things like: new memberships that can be directly coorilated with the rally or with day passes, vendor revenue loss or growth, claims or complaints associated with increase, decrease, or no change in loss due to theft, or even an increase in the awareness footprint of the MOA due to more access to the site by local enthusiast, member or otherwise.

I think the idea merits at least a trial implementation. The key would be unbiased data analysis, as this thread seems to demonstrate on more than one occasion that there have been some false perceptions concerning this issue in the past.

+1, Gunny; extremely well written and carefully thought out rangerreece, I agree with your sensible proposal 100%!

One more aspect of my earlier post

image.jpg
It occurred to me today thinking more on this subject that implementation success would call for ticket sales at the gate to be a much more critical component of the rally. As there would be multi-value options it may require a poster (menu) of pricing options to help facilitate (dare I say customer's) decision, and a knowledgeable and helpful ticket sales representative able to articulate the different pricing options. These volunteers would also be good at recommending an option choice based on a quick assessment of customer's needs/desires. (Sales) what the young lady at the sub restaurant did for me and my wife today for lunch (she recommended a number 9 I followed her recommendation). Of course it doesn't hurt if we put our attractive people up front either.

Of course it doesn't hurt if we put our attractive people up front either.

I worked registration at St. Paul and Bloomsburg. You saying I'm not attractive?

Remember, the attractive person in your picture is selling a $160/month smart phone plan. That's 4% of the median family gross income in the USA. Accordingly, they can buy the necessary amount of cute.

A lot of talk here about locals coming to the rally on a day pass to see the bikes and become potential members. Maybe in St Paul, but how many prospective BMW riders are in Billings with the nearest dealer 300 miles away.

Next year may not be a good test.

I agree with those who feel the fee is no big deal. Register early of you want a cheaper price. If not and you pay the full load, still no big deal. Meeting folks, relaxing for a couple days, leaving all the day to day hum drum behind is worth whatever the fee is.

A few times paid up front and couldn't attend, no harm, the club needs to stay viable. With money becoming worth less and less the fee likely will be a hundred bucks or more soon. Two cents worth.

Back