• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Customer Satisfaction

Well this thread got me thinking about my upcoming renewal with Progressive (March 31st) so I called my very good local agent where I have ALL my other insurance and asked him if he could quote my bikes just to see if any difference. He is a Progressive agent in addition to being an Erie agent where I have all my other insurance. He said Progressive direct is different than the Progressive he writes but he would take a look. Well I was totally shocked when he told me going with Erie and getting MORE coverage would reduce my annual cost by $300 !! That is nearly HALF of what progressive was charging for my 2 bikes with the max coverage on all areas and he matched the Progressive ZERO deductible. I was blown away and I think I asked him 3 times if that was the correct number and not just for one bike !! Nope that was correct. So thanks for posting this and getting me to check!

No problem, I am glad everyone is saving money!

Progressive quote less collision vs with collision

I've always had full coverage on my vehicles. I was quoted 3 rates with Progressive starting at a $75/yr up to $750/yr. None of the quotes included collision. I asked for a new quote including collision and it came back at $2,700/yr. This is for an 2022 R 1250 RT.

In Oregon.

Looking more closely. $860 of the quote was for $25,000 coverage for medical payments.

So that brings it closer to $1,500/yr for a 2022 R 1250 RT in Oregon.

Is it common to not insure for collision?

Good Lord! Glad I don't live in Oregon! My 2 bikes were about $750 for 12 months with full coverage and the highest liability coverage including uninsured/under insured. I moved to Erie where I have my homeowners because I could save a lot from the $750 Progressive premium.

Looking more closely. $860 of the quote was for $25,000 coverage for medical payments.

So that brings it closer to $1,500/yr for a 2022 R 1250 RT in Oregon.

Is it common to not insure for collision?

Wow. I wasn't paying much attention to this thread but that price caught my eye. I'm paying $280 a year for my RT (includes collision) with State Farm in Maine.

Collision does not cost much in Texas. But Uninsured/Underinsured coverage tacked on with Liability is very expensive. $100,000/$300,000 liability costs $38 a year on my K75 but Uninsured/Underinsured costs about $250 a year with Farmers. Why, you ask.

Because in most Texas urban areas and many small towns at least a third of the vehicles on the road lack insurance. Folks have to show proof of insurance once a year when they get the vehicle inspected/registered. But the big scam is they get a policy with monthly payments, pay one month, register the car and cancel or fail to pay the insurance.

Many states required insurance companies to notify the state when a policy is cancelled. Not Texas! It would be way to big a burden on business to require such a drastic thing, or so they say. Thus everybody's insurance bill is higher than it should be just so the scammers can scam and the state can sit back and say, "Oh my."

Collision does not cost much in Texas. But Uninsured/Underinsured coverage tacked on with Liability is very expensive. $100,000/$300,000 liability costs $38 a year on my K75 but Uninsured/Underinsured costs about $250 a year with Farmers. Why, you ask.

Because in most Texas urban areas and many small towns at least a third of the vehicles on the road lack insurance. Folks have to show proof of insurance once a year when they get the vehicle inspected/registered. But the big scam is they get a policy with monthly payments, pay one month, register the car and cancel or fail to pay the insurance.

Many states required insurance companies to notify the state when a policy is cancelled. Not Texas! It would be way to big a burden on business to require such a drastic thing, or so they say. Thus everybody's insurance bill is higher than it should be just so the scammers can scam and the state can sit back and say, "Oh my."

Same crap going on in Alabama. I pay $1,800 a year for 5 bikes. 10 years ago that would have been half off. Insurance has gotten ridiculous because of low wage folks who rather pay cell phone and cable bills. Those are mandatory. Insurance not so much.

As reported earlier, while enroute to the BMW rally this year Glenlivet and I were hit by a car in Elkins WV. The damage was mostly cosmetic, but the fiberglass mods were custom. The sidecar tire was damaged (replaced at the rally) and the camber control unit wouldn’t hold position.

This was my first claim since 1996 when a lady backed out of her driveway right into my little Toyota while I was stationary at a stop sign, so I was a bit clueless about the process. I’m insured with Progressive.

They were fantastic! The inspector came to my home to evaluate the damage, noted the custom work and how few repair shops would touch it, took note of the custom paint (Dodge Viper Yellow) and Glenlivet’s paw decals. In the end their payout was more than fair and hassle free.

As reported earlier, while enroute to the BMW rally this year Glenlivet and I were hit by a car in Elkins WV. The damage was mostly cosmetic, but the fiberglass mods were custom. The sidecar tire was damaged (replaced at the rally) and the camber control unit wouldn’t hold position.

This was my first claim since 1996 when a lady backed out of her driveway right into my little Toyota while I was stationary at a stop sign, so I was a bit clueless about the process. I’m insured with Progressive.

They were fantastic! The inspector came to my home to evaluate the damage, noted the custom work and how few repair shops would touch it, took note of the custom paint (Dodge Viper Yellow) and Glenlivet’s paw decals. In the end their payout was more than fair and hassle free.

WOW ... had not read about your mishap Pete and so sorry to here. But what you describe abut the claim process is how we'd like it to always work. Hopefully it does more times than not. Glad you were not hurt and hopefully you'll get your rig all fixed up in time for Redmond !!

Pete, I’m glad you were taken care of. Thanks for closing the loop on this for all of us that follow your adventures.

Answering post 63 - It depends on what your particular vehicle is actually worth; the Collision premium may add up over the years to more than that. Discuss it with your agent.

Answering post 63 - It depends on what your particular vehicle is actually worth; the Collision premium may add up over the years to more than that. Discuss it with your agent.

Collision coverage is usually a requirement of the lender, if there is a loan on the bike.

If there is no loan, it's just you gambling with the insurance company about the likelihood that the bike will be damaged/destroyed within the policy period. The total of premium costs over past years really does not matter, you've already won or lost those bets. It's just a question of whether your wallet can stand the definite loss of few hundred dollars this year better than the possible loss of an asset worth thousands of dollars.

Comprehensive and collision premiums cost me less than two MOA Foundation raffle tickets. The difference is that I will definitely either have a bike of my choice in the garage at the end of a year, or a few thousand dollars in my pocket. Win - Win!

EDIT: I forgot my usual insurance thread disclaimer: It is pointless to compare insurance rates on an internet forum, there are just too many variables (age, driving record, income, credit rating, marital status, location, vehicle, other owned vehicles, etc...). The only rates that mean anything are the quotes you get from your agent.

Collision coverage……..it's just you gambling with the insurance company about the likelihood that the bike will be damaged/destroyed within the policy period. The total of premium costs over past years really does not matter, you've already won or lost those bets. It's just a question of whether your wallet can stand the definite loss of few hundred dollars this year better than the possible loss of an asset worth thousands of dollars.

!

That pretty much described most any insurance you buy.

Pete, I’m glad you were taken care of. Thanks for closing the loop on this for all of us that follow your adventures.

Update: I just got a letter from Progressive stating that after reviewing the damage to both vehicles they are disregarding the police “no fault” finding and are seeking reimbursement from the young woman who hit us. If successful they will refund my deductible.

Interesting, as I’d assumed the police report was the final word.

Just got a letter from my 20 year Homeowners carrier that they will not renew my home.
I've had everything with American Family for quite some time.

Shifting back to USAA, but they don't do bikes or RVs. They have a "relationship" with Progressive.

Progressive coverage for my '21 GSA will be $212 per year - up $4 from American Family, but I raised some of my coverage limits. Collision and Comprehensive $200 deductibles.

Pete, a police report does not preclude the possibility of further investigation and/or a civil suit.

Here in South Central PA I pay 296 a year for my 17.5 1200 GS. 0 deductible on comprehensive or collision.

It just went up a few dollars.

I have had them for 20 years as my Insurance company does not do Motorcycles. I made a claim on a 2010 FJR 1300 for front wheel, tire, wheel bearings, and axle. I hit a rock and bent the front rim bad. On the street, blind corner, come around rock is there, truck is the other lane, and nowhere to go.

They paid in full including the tow. The adjuster was just great and he is the one to suggest I get a new axle.

And when I totaled my 2007 BMW LT they were very generous and paid for all my gear and most of the goodies on the bike. That was a pretty big claim back in 2010.

No complaints at all with them.

I've been with American Family for twenty years, then last week they opted not to renew my homeowners insurance due to some hail-related claims over the past five years. Without the associated homeowners bundle discount the Auto/Motorcycle insurance rates were excessive.

I switched to USAA and decreased my cost for the Home, Auto, and Umbrella. USAA doesn't insure motorcycles but has a relationship with Progressive. Progressive now insures my '21 R1250GSA and $3000 extra accessories and riding gear for $212 with $200/$500 deductibles on Comp/Collision.

I am very envious of American insurance rates for motorcycles. :banghead

Paul:

I think you should shop around. If you're in a big city, theft losses are higher and you pay more, but otherwise, Canada should be same or cheaper than the US...shorter riding season etc.

Progressive has been good to me. Best towing service..actually the only one of 3 that actually shows up. Not BMW (didn't have my VIN in their system???); not AAA either, (read on); and decent on claims too. Their road hazard claim service has been great for me. I hit a sharp cut-out in a county road where sand was put in temporarily...only they had a hard rain the night before that washed the sand away. The impact broke my paralever. Dealer replaced paralever and driveshaft assembly and the bill was not cheap. It was covered after deductable by Progressive, NOT by BMW warranty even though the bike was less than a year old. I'd installed Wilbers shocks on the bike and the BMW zone rep saw them and refused the claim.

I have AAA house, car and umbrella insurance. Their rate is good here in Chicago suburbs. I joined AAA because it's required to get their insurance. I called them for an unrepairable flat rear tire a couple years ago. When I told them it was a motorcycle, they asked me if I had an RV insurance rider. I had never heard of that. They hung up. I don't have an RV. I have a motorcycle! Later, I checked on a AAA RV rider, it cost about $125/yr additional so I didn't buy it. Might be worth it if I had a trailer or something, but not for just a bike.

Insurance is only good if they honor the claims. Progressive is worthy. They're competitive where I live, but that changes depending on the area so check and shop around. Independent insurance agents who rep a lot of lines are great with that sort of stuff. Also, you get better rates and treatment if you insure house, car, umbrella and moto with the same company. Face it, a homeowner with a motorcycle is a better risk than a renter with a motorcycle. If you rent an apartment in the city and leave your bike outside, well....ways of the world, I guess?

Back