• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment 04/13/08

Old School Gas

This closed gas station in Brunswick MO is definitely Old School.

279763264_SRz3E-L.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anything more Old School?

Than an American original the American Bison? A farmer apparently having fun south of Jamesport MO

279769218_5VS8C-L.jpg

A Wooden Separator

Before combines there were separators. Grain was brought to the seperator powered by a steam engine or very large tractor later. The grain is "separated" from the stalks and heads. This is a wooden separator rare because most were metal, and most wooden ones have long sice rotted. Off the town square in Jamesport MO. Do you think they had any final drive failures?

279765193_q4aQp-L.jpg

Feedback

275222895_84Y35-L.jpg

Beemerchef (and AraÔÇönever sure who's taking the pictures) are up first this week with a magnificent landscape silhouette. Of course, it didn't strike me as particularly old school until they explained the two sub-silhouettes of Diana Ross and Tricky Dick. 50 bonus points for making me laugh.

That aside, it's a striking photograph for the sun beaming through the opening in the rock, as well as for the tremendous tonal range that goes from black to white and through every shade of blue imaginable. It's quite a powerful and well-executed photo. Nice work.

IMG_7818-org-web.jpg

Rocketman's up next with a photo that I admired the moment I saw it in the commentary thread. It's a wonderful study and one of those thought-provoking shots. I love the high-back chairs and their tendency to infantilize the occupants, though that may just be me. Jeff pointed out that there is a transient on the sidewalk outside, though he's not too visible due to the variance in exposure. I think the shot works better without, as his inclusion would have made it more of a social commentary than this pleasant study. One might also argue that it further marginalizes this poor homeless man. . . . Another point of interest is that this couple is looking toward each other but not at each other. One point against: it contains much more motion blur (or camera shake) than I would care to see. I struggle with this myself and it often means the difference between a great and mediocre picture.

DSCF3645-1.jpg

Voni's up with her interpretation of old school. As she points out, it's red and it's where it all started for her. It's a very nice image, pulling together so many elements of good composition. Golden mean (placement of the bikeÔÇöthe saddlebag in particular), rule of thirds, leading lines, foreground. . . . Horizon's a bit crooked, but aren't they all? the DoF is wonderful; everything is in focus. It's a really neat shot.

_MG_4106.jpg

DarcyM is back with a definite old school image. This week's theme begged for bike shots, and you all didn't disappoint. This is a nice image and I admire the composition. Part of me wants to have thrown a polarizer on the lens and eliminated the reflection; on the other hand, reflections sometimes add to a photo's message. Certainly the "Norton" logoÔÇöone familiar to most ridersÔÇöis still quite visible. I like the dramatic sky in the tank, but other elements distract: the light standard and the '08 GS. Maybe I'm being too picky. It is an admirable shot not only for its execution but for the risks it takes as well.

r69s-engine-and-tank.jpg

BMWDean blew me away with this picture, one of my faves this week. This is a GREAT shot. It's highly stylized, which is not to everyone's taste, but rarely do you see a fill-flash executed this well. The choice of composition forces the viewer to see this not only as a motorcycle, but as an objet d'art as well. The few shadows are visible but balances and while there's a noteworthy blast reflection off the muffler, it's notable for being the only one. I would like to see this same image with a shallower depth-of-field, though conditions may not have made that possible. That the bike is in pristine condition and flawlessly clean is the only way he can get away with such an intense and high-contrast exposure of this bike. It's a masterfully crafted image, a picture he made rather than took.

2402940731_f267fc3417.jpg

OldPaul turned in my other favorite image this week. I love this shot. My only complaint is its diminutive size. Give us more pixels! Like Jeff's photo above, the composition here is critical and what transforms this from an image into a piece of artwork. I might add that the reflection in the blue paint really works here. Rather than a distraction, it transforms the surface into a sky. The inclusion of just the tip of the license plate (with 1971 apparent) balanced with the cooling vents (or whatever they are called) countered by the Karmann Ghia logo is just outstanding. This would sell as a print in an Aaron Brothers or a Michael's store. Just beautiful.

278307834_X43PS-L.jpg

This is another image that just blew me away this week. Franze has taken a shot of his son skating. Simple enough. But the choice of composition, and the elements that comprise the composition, are what is really outstanding here. Gordon and Smith skateboards are iconic and this one is a classic example. The blue jeans and the Converse All-Stars combine with the board to transport the viewer back to the summer of 1977ÔÇödefinitely qualifies for old school. The lighting, here, too, is terrific. Fill flash? I can't tell. It may be, or it may not. Great shot.

attachment.php

130253 is back with another nice photo, another old school image to be sure. This reminds me a bit of Jeff's shot above, in that it is of a detail rather than a whole. It's an interesting study of ancient and intricate machinery, with lots of competing geometric shapes to hold the viewer's interest. Backing off just slightly to include the entirety of both wheels might have been a bonus. What might work against this photo is its apparent lack of contrastÔÇönot the photo itself but the subject. I almost wonder if this might have been more successful if it had been rendered in black and white. Even as is, it's an intriguing shot.

_xy-1416337_1

RandallIsland is back with his trademark sense of humor. Old school indeed. Do any of these young ladies ever catch you snapping their picture? It's a great composition and I envy you such a small class that can be taken outdoors. That the professor is gesticulating is a bonus. The young woman removing/donning her jacket is distracting, but I see what you were going for. The bruiser on the left yawning is what makes this image humorous. If this class were being held in a nightclub, this guy would be in the back yawning. Every class has got one. The picture appears to have been taken surreptitiously and it has that voyeuristic feelÔÇöperhaps because the viewer is IN the class due to the angle from which it was taken and no one in the image is making eye contact.

DSCF3710.jpg

Voni submitted a second image which I also really like. I guess it's old school. It's an austere environment with a few complicated mechanisms that appear rather simple. I think we're used to seeing a crunch of complicated machines (like in an ICU) but here they are sprinkled about the office. I like the composition and the dead-centering of the chair. There's no mistaking where this is. "Is this better, or this?" Fun picture.

2409229138_d24ccca1e0.jpg

Burnszilla got a new camera and has wasted no time in putting it to good use. This is such a compelling portrait, though I would admonish you, also, to give us a bigger image. I recognize Joe from the 49er Rallies where he regularly wins prizes for his flat-head twin (among others, I think). This is such a great portrait. It's close, intimate, and unflinching. Joe is elderly, and this image does nothing to hide that fact. I love his eyebrows and the soft explosion of white hair in the URC. At the risk of sounding clich?®, however, his face also reveals a great deal of characterÔÇöit's a map of a long life and many miles. I like the reflection in his light-colored eyes. This appears to have been shot in natural, open shade (a garage?) and the lighting is just perfect. The depth-of-field is just perfect. Nearly out of focus, but just enough to reveal where we are. Such a detail can really add to the store. What a well-executed photograph.

2409225664_024b3809d0.jpg

Burnszilla's second shot is also appealing, though less successful than the first, a remarkable shot. This must be one of Joe's bikes? It looks like the roundel from an R32. I like all the colors in the reflection (lots of fun with reflections this week) and didn't see you in the image until you mentioned it. But there you are. Because there is so much similar color in the image, it doesn't really stand out. I love the competing leading lines of the pin striping.

MUCH better!

I can get you a deal on a smugmug account :deal

What's your focus point? His cheek? Whenever possible, with a portrait, focus on the eye(s).

I still say this is a stunning portrait.

MUCH better!

I can get you a deal on a smugmug account :deal

What's your focus point? His cheek? Whenever possible, with a portrait, focus on the eye(s).

I still say this is a stunning portrait.

AF was on with the array pattern. I just pushed the button.:)

thanks

Thanks again for all the time you put into this. I learn a lot from your reviews and I really enjoy seeing pix from all parts of the homeland. By the way, that's not my son on the skateboard, that's me on my board from the mid-70's. I was holding the camera out and away while I was rolling down my driveway. The auto focus worked better than I hoped.

Thanks again for all the time you put into this. I learn a lot from your reviews and I really enjoy seeing pix from all parts of the homeland. By the way, that's not my son on the skateboard, that's me on my board from the mid-70's. I was holding the camera out and away while I was rolling down my driveway. The auto focus worked better than I hoped.

Nice pants!

Feedback II

DSC_7157.jpg

This is a fine environmental portrait by GrossJohann. I'll say again what a lovely daughter you have. She appears totally engrossed in her task, a wonderful candid capture. Being shot into the light source as it is, it's a tad backlit and woefully low in contrast. One might argue that this lends a dreamy feel to the image, but it troubles me. I like the highlights from the incandescent bulbs in the background. It's a nice shot and tells a story.

279179795_9vtZg-L.jpg

Kbasa is back this week with a couple of nice shots. Someone (Jeff?) already commented on the fact that the cylinder head disappears out of frame. I think Kbasa saw this after he finished shooting. Happens to me a lot. This is a wonderful detail shot, very well composed, and visually very interesting. There are so many competing lines and geometric shapes here. The contrast is much higher than I would like (the opposite of the photo above) but that may simply have been a function of late afternoon light. I might have experimented with fill-flash, but I don't know if that would have worked or not. This is a strong image, and I guess what bothers me is the loss of shadow detail in the left portion of the image.

279182822_NVoa5-L.jpg

I like this image, but it suffers from the same extreme lighting. Now some folks would look at this and say the lighting accentuates the image. While I don't agree, that is a judgement call. Whatever your opinion of the lighting, this is a strong, well composed image. I really like the angle of view and the choice of subject. Framing is great, too. Kbasa comments on the out of focus reset knob. Interestingly, that doesn't trouble me at all. I wonder, if it were in focus, would it distract from the speedo dial? I would like to see all the numbers in focus. I also wish he had taken the shot 26 miles earlier. It's a neat shot.

279188788_KJ2KU-XL.jpg

This is a great pipe. I smoked a bowl of Butternut Burley in it tonight and it was a slice of heaven on earth. It's a pretty good photo, too. I like how the stem recedes gently out of focus. . . .

279763264_SRz3E-L.jpg

MLS2GO takes us on a trip down memory lane this time around. Sheesh. I was in a service station today that was charging OVER $4.00/gal. for premium. I didn't get any, thanks to my GSA tank. Anywho, this is a fun image. It wants to be tighter, but that probably wasn't possible under the circumstances. It also needs to be straightened, but that's post-processing. I think the background is fortunate and works well with the image.

279769218_5VS8C-L.jpg

MLS2GO has definitely gone old schoolÔÇönice and close, too. The contrast is low, but it's such a great portrait of this magnificent animal, it's hard to complain.

279765193_q4aQp-L.jpg

MLS2GO has chosen a great subject for the theme. Contrast, again. Can your camera adjust this? I think we may have discussed this before. . . . Forgive me if I'm repeating myself. What would this shot be like if it has been taken closer, say only two wheels and one belt? Or possibly from underneath? Just speculating. It's a nice shot.

280205364_YZ7RE-XL.jpg

280186610_bUy7P-XL.jpg

280182801_uuhCC-XL.jpg

How nice is it to see BeerTeam back posting some of his fine photography. Welcome back! Actually, all three of these are nice images, all very similar. Urban architecture/signs, shot at an upward angle. No. 2 doesn't do much for me. It's a nice shot, but just doesn't appeal to my subjectivity. No. 1 is a beautiful image. It's very well composed and quite dramatic. The green roof (copper?) is gorgeous. No. 3, though, is my favorite. It's complex and interesting, yet a rather mundane subject. I think that's the hallmark of a good photo/photographer, transforming the everyday into the extraordinary. All three of these images have such rich saturation, pleasing contrast, and great exposures. Notice that each of these appears to be a tinge underexposed, I'm guessing about 1/3EV. Whatever his secret, BT knows how to make images.

05022004-641.jpg

Last, but not least, we have OfficerImpersonator, or the poster formerly known as. . . . Oh, never mind. This is a neat shot. I really like the dramatic composition. Judging by his lucky fishing hat, this fellow is certainly old school. I really like the boatÔÇöa row boatÔÇöand its colors. It seems oddly out of place for some reason. I like the strong lines in the boat's paint scheme and how the contrast with the muted lines and colors of the canyon walls. I also like how the oars lead out of the frame. I like this image.

What a particularly impressive crop of photos this week. You all consistently rise to the occasion and provide entertaining and educational images each week, but this week was a standout.

Sorry it took so long to get around to providing feedback. I'll try to step it up next time.

Thanks, Tom! I appreciate your commitment to this not only as a participant, but as a fellow club member. I think we'll see plenty of participation this summer as people head out on their bikes to take pictures on nice afternoons (right before sunset, of course!)

:buds

Sorry it took so long to get around to providing feedback. I'll try to step it up next time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. Considering how much you are getting paid to do this job!:stick

Thank you for the time you put into this forum and the feedback that you provide that helps us all

As others have said, thank you so very much for your commitment to the forum
and giving feedback on our efforts. It's a pleasure to get to know you.

I'll also again join the chorus thanking Tom for his work on these threads. But you know, it's more than his critical eye and comments that make it. At least for me, the other side of the coin is that he is forcing me to think about a shot and then refine it during the shooting process until it begins to work as something more than just a picture of something. Really appreciate his work.

Back