• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Our Government at work

LTLJOHN

ltljohn
I recently got this from my HR department. It is confusing:dunno

As a Federal Contractor, Company XYZ is required to submit compliance reports on an annual basis to the US Department of Labor. To maintain our status as a Federal Contractor, we must fully comply with federal laws and regulations governing equal employment opportunity reporting requirements. The Department of Labor has recently changed the definitions of ethnicity and veteran status, so we need updated information from you. As a result, we are asking that you complete the attached "Voluntary Self Identification" form. Please note that this information is completely voluntary and all information will remain confidential. However, we request your voluntary cooperation to assist us in meeting our legal obligation and to help us analyze the effectiveness of our equal opportunity efforts.

Does this mean that by law they must report this information :deal to maintain status as a government contractor but by law they are not allowed to ask for it. :nono so if all the employees refuse this voluntary survey what happens?

"changed the definitions of ethnicity"

You may not be the ethnicity you once thought you were!
When will we smarten up and stop categorizing everyone as if we were livestock?

Last edited:
If you were born in the US, state that you are "Native American", it might help you get more goverment contracts.

I recently got this from my HR department. It is confusing:dunno

As a Federal Contractor, Company XYZ is required to submit compliance reports on an annual basis to the US Department of Labor. To maintain our status as a Federal Contractor, we must fully comply with federal laws and regulations governing equal employment opportunity reporting requirements. The Department of Labor has recently changed the definitions of ethnicity and veteran status, so we need updated information from you. As a result, we are asking that you complete the attached "Voluntary Self Identification" form. Please note that this information is completely voluntary and all information will remain confidential. However, we request your voluntary cooperation to assist us in meeting our legal obligation and to help us analyze the effectiveness of our equal opportunity efforts.

Does this mean that by law they must report this information :deal to maintain status as a government contractor but by law they are not allowed to ask for it. :nono so if all the employees refuse this voluntary survey what happens?

As a former government employee, I can tell you that I think I know the answer to your question, but I don't think I can tell you what it is. :nono

If you were born in the US, state that you are "Native American", it might help you get more goverment contracts.

i used to sometimes put "black - non hispanic" cause if you believe accepted theories of evolution and trace lineage far enough back, than, well...............

Heck, all you have to do is change your last name to Suar?¿z or the like and you can claim you are Hispanic too. As I recall, that category depends on your name, not your ancestry.

got to fill out the forms right

Your name here
DOB: mm/dd/yyyy
Sex: Please
Race: Yes, but only on track days.

the gov-mint

I remember one Vietnam era selective service form that offered three choices under the heading "Race"

cau._____
non-cau_____
other_____

I still find that amusing.

Government at work?

PC run amok!

Today it's more important to satisfy, include, and report . . . rather than perform the true mission and tasks of government.

Sounds like an old Murphy's Law adage. When you start having to spend time to report on the work you are doing, at some point you will be spending all your time reporting on the nothing you are doing.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Heck, all you have to do is change your last name to Suar?¿z or the like and you can claim you are Hispanic too. As I recall, that category depends on your name, not your ancestry.

I think it's either -- I had a buddy back in college who was on a hispanic scholarship, but his name's Culveaux. At one point the sponsoring organization asked him to come into the office. One look at him and the only question they had was "How'd you get the French name?"

The answer was, obviously, from France. His paternal grandfather was a sergeant who came to Mexico with Maximilian (Maximiliano en espanol). He married a local woman, and after the Battle of Pueblo they headed north!

Culveaux also claims that soft tortillas are, like him, a Mexican-French hybrid. Wheat flour was introduced to Mexico by the French. One of the fringe benefits of working in the French kitchens was being able to take leftovers home for the family. So what did the kitchen staff do with the wheat flour back home? Make tortillas! Come to think of it, he did say grandpa met grandma 'cause she was one of the cooks...

The very question of race is racist in itself. We are ALL human beings, although looking at the violence we perpetrate upon ourselves that may be questionable :hungover
FWIW, I always leave this question blank or answer it with; Human

I tried to read Catch 22 while I was in the Army. Couldn't get into it. Wasn't funny. A few years later I picked it up again and it was hillarious.

My former boss was carried on the EEO charts as a Spanish Female. She had been married for a brief time to someone with a Spanish sounding surname which she retained. It was probably good for her career advancement and it also helped make the "numbers" look good. Her maiden name was Jones.

John

Back