• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ordering a new RT. What about the radio?

My 2019 R1250RT has no radio or radio prep.
When bought the bike I asked for the NAV VI instead.
I never listen to radio anyway and I can load music on the NAV VI and listen to it through my Sena system. Even with a pillion, the Sena can send music to both helmets.
I've always found external speakers on a bike annoying and pretty useless when riding at highway speed wearing a helmet and ear plugs.
With all the options available today for listening to music, I don't think that not having a radio on a bike would really make a difference in resale value.
YMMV

Has anyone seen a new RT without a radio? Are the speaker covers still there and removeable? What about the new style antenna? I can't believe BMW would change the plastic/fairing - but I'm not sure.

My 2019 has no radio and the speaker grills are there. The only difference with the bike that has the radio package is that there's nothing behind them.

With all the options available today for listening to music, I don't think that not having a radio on a bike would really make a difference in resale value.
YMMV

It appears the $900 investment is worth about $100 on re-sale. See Post #21, this thread.

I have found “real” resale value is affected by what a vehicle is expected to have.

Dealer to owner looking to trade in a bike with no radio- “Too bad this bike doesn’t have the radio package. Everyone wants a radio. Really hurts the value”.

Owner looking to trade a bike with the radio- “My bike even has the radio package”.

Dealer- “It’s supposed to have it”.

Trade values seem to be variable depending upon what “end” of the deal you are on……..and whether it’s a private or dealer transaction.

OM

I have found “real” resale value is affected by what a vehicle is expected to have

Trade values seem to be variable depending upon what “end” of the deal you are on……..and whether it’s a private or dealer transaction.

OM

+1

First, don't let the dealer talk you into anything.

I got a radio with my ’18 RT, and only used it once. And, I have to say it works great. But I ride to get away from things, not so I can find another way to stay connected.

If you like to listen to the radio, get it. It should also add resale value.

If you want to get good resale value, sell it to an individual. Don't trade it in to a dealer. Dealers believe in wholesale value not retail.

E.

Back