• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ordering a new RT. What about the radio?

tleonard

I am planning to order a new RT. On my current RT I have music available from the radio, Sirius, phone, and Cardo. I have never been inclined to use any of those options being either too old fashioned or perhaps content to just ride.

The Motorrad build-your-own site lists the radio as a $1200 option. Currently when ordering the bike, the radio prep is $300 and some amount of money, $600-$900, spent later when the radio head become available. My dealer said that so far, only 1 out of 9 new bikes (2021) have the owners spent the additional money to complete the radio install.

Isn't it enough that music would be available through your phone and TFT? Is it a detriment for resale or overall value these days to not have a radio on an otherwise premium packaged bike?

Thanks.

I've only used the radio that came with my '16 RT occasionally to check weather conditions, etc., especially prior to getting a cell-phone. I never listen to it while riding, but I've got several friends who seem to never ride without the music blaring, to each his own. The first year subscription to Sirius Radio was good for impressing young family members. I didn't pay for it to continue. I wouldn't have paid extra for the radio, but that's the way it was set up already.

The salesman seemed to think it would up the re-sale value, of course, it was November of 2016 when I bought it so he wanted that thing off the showroom floor.

I'm one of those old farts, and I'm not that old.
I don't stream music, It's bad enough that it is compressed via satellite but much worse with anyone of the plethora of streaming services. I don't like blue tooth for the same reasons.
I don't use my phone like most do. So I want the radio for local stations if need be but more for XM.
I did the radio prep and have ordered the radio to have installed at the first service.
So for me personally I would look for a radio on my bike if I was buying. Others will have different views.

Heck I am looking to source a mount for a Garmin XT because I do not want to use my phone for GPS

I assume you paid the $300 for radio prep? Do you know how much the radio and install will run you? Right now I'd rather have the storage space where the speakers would go, but not if it would be the deal breaker in a few years when it's time to sell the bike. (I'm 70)

I assume you paid the $300 for radio prep? Do you know how much the radio and install will run you? Right now I'd rather have the storage space where the speakers would go, but not if it would be the deal breaker in a few years when it's time to sell the bike. (I'm 70)

Radio and required installation piece runs around $625. Installation is free as BMW is covering that cost.

Fairing mount radios may be close to becoming obsolete, with helmet comm systems often including built in fm radios and Bluetooth phone pairing. A new Sena modular outrush helmet retails for about $200, and includes fm and Bluetooth.

Yes I had the radio prep. BMW is picking up the install costs and the radio is around $650

I wouldn't buy an RT without the radio. I wanted to get a 2021 but with no radio and my 14R1200RT running great, pass. I now have a 2022 with a radio on order, hoping to have it in March. I like listening to music when riding, XM delivers everywhere, I live in a area with poor radio reception and cell service, plus I often ride in areas with no availability.

My 2019 came with the radio and 6 month trial of Sirius. I paired it with my Sena SRL no problem...And used it twice (I think). I just have no desire to listen to music when I ride. The silence and just being able to disconnect is one of the best things about riding IMO.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but when commuting, having an audio system of some sort is necessary for me. It helps with the tedium of the same roads day after day.

That said, don't expect a hifi listening experience on a motorcycle... for me, it's something to distract the internal monologue and helps me focus on the activity.

Finally, I hate ads, and only a few Sirius/XM stations play music that, for me, don't become distracting - I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff when riding so as to not get caught up in the words. So, I use playlists on my phone, which allows the navigation instructions to lower the music volume automatically if I'm using nav.

FM is a waste of time unless you can find a couple of stations that play what you like and that don't take their ad breaks at the same time...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldnt waste the money

I thought when I purchased an RT (2016) with a radio I would use it however other than the few times I rode along a beach rd in NH without a helmet (bicycle speeds) I use my phone. I am getting GPS already so it interrupts properly and sounds 1000 times better than the cheap speakers. The Bluetooth from the RT is awful, or I maybe more inclined to use it on occasion to get local stations when traveling but the quality is so bad I gave up and just stream music. Perhaps the newer have a better Bluetooth connection and reception but the 2016 is almost useless.

I thought when I purchased an RT (2016) with a radio I would use it however other than the few times I rode along a beach rd in NH without a helmet (bicycle speeds) I use my phone. I am getting GPS already so it interrupts properly and sounds 1000 times better than the cheap speakers. The Bluetooth from the RT is awful, or I maybe more inclined to use it on occasion to get local stations when traveling but the quality is so bad I gave up and just stream music. Perhaps the newer have a better Bluetooth connection and reception but the 2016 is almost useless.

I agree about the Bluetooth, that's why I installed https://www.motochello.com/ speaker bridge and a Sena SM10. I'm hoping the new Audio system is better on the 2022.

I definitely think it's a waste of money. I did get the radio prep- figuring it would probably help/could not hurt if I decided to move off the bike someday. Does that actually come with the speakers built in? It LOOKS like they are installed with the fancier chrome and cloth like covers... but not totally sure about that. Speakers or not- I will not be riding this bike wearing a half helmet (brain bucket) or no helmet soooo can't hear them anyway.

The radio itself is 100% useless to me. There is next to nothing that I really want to hear on the radio bands. (I think they must be up to 40 minutes of ads for every 60 minutes now) My lovely daughter springs for premium Spotify for our entire crew.

So personally- I will not be paying for whatever remaining radio hardware is needed. I think it's available now @ the dealer, but no thanks. I'll take it if you want to give it to me. Outside of that- they can keep it.

I also have a 2022 on order waited to place the order when I would be assured it would be delivered with radio and ACC. Ordered the triple black with sport wheels. I listen to the radio almost always. With the upgraded speakers on the Sena 50s and using MotoChello bridge provides pretty descent audio. I usually do longer daily rides and I really enjoy the xm radio. I just hope I don’t regret getting a 2022 if BMW comes out with a really cool 100th anniversary model RT in 2023….

96683212bc90be25126deb2ae58d575c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I removed the speakers in my RT and store my tire kit and pump there. I play music saved on my phone through my Packtalk, with in ear monitors... I would never pay any amount of money for any audio on the bike. If I actually want radio for anything, my packtalk has FM built in. Maybe AM too, don't know...

I think the radio speakers in my 2018 suck. I listen very rarely, but having said that I would not buy one without it. Resale is like selling a manual transmission car today.

Radio

My dealer was adamant that I order mine with the radio. He said I would take a hit on resale or trade. I will rarely ever use it but since this is my two up bike, it might be used when I have a pillion. Mine came in with the prep and radio to be installed whenever it arrives. It makes no sense to me but I am following his advice.

"I also have a 2022 on order... I just hope I don’t regret getting a 2022 if BMW comes out with a really cool 100th anniversary model RT in 2023"

96683212bc90be25126deb2ae58d575c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... There's quite a few of us I suspect, waiting these last 8 months or so (Feb-Aug) to learn about MOTORRAD's 100th Anniversary model lineup.
Not that all of the models will make the first offering with their colors/markings or changes... but I'm waiting.

I had a new 13' RT that felt & looked immediately "old" when the 14' significant change occurred. I won't do that again!

My dealer was adamant that I order mine with the radio. He said I would take a hit on resale or trade. I will rarely ever use it but since this is my two up bike, it might be used when I have a pillion. Mine came in with the prep and radio to be installed whenever it arrives. It makes no sense to me but I am following his advice.

Well it's your $900. Or at least it was!

Has anyone seen a new RT without a radio? Are the speaker covers still there and removeable? What about the new style antenna? I can't believe BMW would change the plastic/fairing - but I'm not sure.

Back