• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

One more Texan, from the DFW area

daxamundo

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, and hopefully soon I will be a new (used) BMW owner. I'm looking to part ways with my 2006 Honda VFR800 and purchase a 'hexhead' RT. I've got my eye on a few 2007 - 2009 models in the area.

I previously owned a Yamaha FJR1300, and during that period I took a few trips: Austin to Colorado, Austin-Arkansas-Oklahoma, and I once took a solo 'soul searching' trip out to Big Bend and then up to Roswell to look for alien life

For whatever reason, I decided I didn't need the larger sport tour bike and I went back to the Honda VFR800. The VFR800 is a great bike, but not the bike I remember (previously owned a '98 VFR). My wife enjoys riding, but the VFR feels way too cramped for two-up riding, thus I am hunting for a comfortable and capable two-up machine. I also hope to get back into sport touring, because I really miss the longer trips.

I'm also considering the K1200GT bikes. I haven't done enough research to know the pros/cons of the K vs. R bikes, but the R1200RT seems to be a great all around bike.

Past bikes:
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
1998 Honda VFR800
1987 Suzuki Savage 650

Welcome to the club and the forums. I wish you well in your quest for a new hex head. Whichever BMW you go with I think you will find the brand quite enjoyable. As a hex head owner myself, I can recommend without hesitation the RT to anyone with desire to do some soul searching on a bike. If I were buying one used make sure all the recalls have been done on it or ask for a discount as you would need to get them fixed at the dealer once the vin is registered.

Your bike will need the:
Steele flange rear wheel mount.
Preferably a new rear drive with low mileage
Metal verses plastic fuel pump flange
New fuel strip

Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the club and the forum from your neighbor to the north. Good luck finding the bike of your looking for and keeping the wife happy. Traded my GS for a GTL so my wife would ride more with me.

Thanks for being a member!

My 2009 R1200RT

I just picked it up in Oklahoma City today and rode back to Arlington. It was a much more enjoyable ride home, on the RT, than it was up there on my '06 VFR800.

Dax and BMW R1200RT.jpg

20160227_190428_HDR.jpg

Back