• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

On Board Camera

ramble

ohbeemer
Not much of a gadget guy but thinking of a cam to mount on the bike not on helmet. Anyone use one ?

I used the Innovv K1 on my previous bike and using a Innovv K2 on current bike. The Innovv K3 is out, slight improvements on the earlier model, better resolution, smaller DVR, new connectors, sound improvements and they added a manual save button, so if you can save a segment of video on demand for downloading later. The Innovv is a true dashcam, front and rear, it's primary purpose is to capture incidents/accidents on video for later use, but it also can serve similar to an action camera to pull footage from a ride for video editing. As a dash cam, it is pretty much an install and forget system. It is hard mounted and weatherproof. It turns on and off when the bike is running, no batteries to charge or run out. It has loop recording, so it will record 12 or more hours of video on a memory card and then overwrite the oldest video first so you don't have to worry about swapping a memory card or running out of space. It protect video clips it determines to be incidents based upon sudden shock of system so they are saved for recovery later. It has a GPS module so it can record speed and location for video.

Some people rely on action cameras for this, but then you need to worry about turning on and off, batteries running out and memory cards becoming full, as well as removing from bike when not riding. So if you are looking for a true onboard camera or dash cam, the Innovv and other similar systems are what you want. Go-Pros and clones, 360 cameras, etc are great but don't serve the dedicated purpose and have the features of a dashcam. These other cameras are great for getting cool perspectives and angles where the dashcam is more of a rider view of the ride.

Although not incidents or accidents, I have pulled video off my Innovv of some unusual events and a couple close calls with animals and these would be rides when I would not have mounted my action cam, like my commute to work.

GoPro

I use a GoPro7... not sure what version number they're up to right now, but the important thing is image stabilization. The interface is pretty simple and a rear screen shows what the camera is seeing.

Mounting on the bike is preferable to helmet, imo, and I like the crop where it's all road and no bike. There are a lot of non-helmet mounting options that you can explore, another favorite of mine is the GoPro Chesty.

Here is a video I shot with the GoPro that shows a decent degree of image stabilization. I am thinking of experimenting with one of those 360-degree cams or a drone next.

Great explanation from @bicyclenut

Here are my camera placements on my K1600GT. It last has a remote that you can use to save recording so they don't get looped over and take photos. I have the remotes attached to the clutch reservoir.

18189136be042ecbfd2dafbef74f627d.jpg
31792a5749b8142a1b572165eed5eed4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Gopro for me as well I have a Hero9 that I used last year on my trip to Great Falls and since then I added the 10 to the mix. The 9 will now sit on a special bracket next to the headlight and the 10 will be on the chin of my helmet. For power I use a battery pack in the tank bag and so far it has worked out well..

This is a photo taken from the video I was shooting at Beartooth Pass...(Hero9)

ER .jpg

oscs. Wondering if it can be placed low in the faring out of sight to keep it secure from someone grabbing it.

The good about the Innovv and other dedicated dashcam type cameras is they are hard mounted and hard wired to bike. To remove the camera a thief would have to unbolt it and then likely cut the video cable as it is routed up through the bike and probably wire tied at places. Also, without the DVR (digital video recorder) unit, the camera is virtually useless. Unlike a GoPro these are not a well known high value target for thieves, it would be more trouble and even more difficult to use one of these cameras if they stole it.

Again, the OP, or anyone wanting an "On Board" camera needs to determine what the purpose of the camera is. If its for no need to mount after installation, always on, never fails to record use for incident/accident recording with the secondary benefit of video footage for entertainment, get a Innovv or similar dedicated dash camera. If you are looking for entertainment, YouTube, Facebook, friend and family sharing videos, get a GoPro or similar GoPro clone action camera.

If you really want the most versatile, one camera does it all, ultimate creative, yet simple action camera for entertainment and sharing, get a 360 Camera, either an Insta360 model or the GoPro 360 model. I currently think the best 360 camera for motorcycle use is the Insta360 One X2 Camera - waterproof, smaller and light, easy to use software for phone or tablet. With one camera you can get shots that would take 3-4 GoPro cameras.

This video was shot with 1 camera mounted to bike, about 2 minutes of footage and maybe 20-30 minutes of editing on an iPad.

oscs. Wondering if it can be placed low in the faring out of sight to keep it secure from someone grabbing it.

Gopro for me as well I have a Hero9 that I used last year on my trip to Great Falls and since then I added the 10 to the mix. The 9 will now sit on a special bracket next to the headlight and the 10 will be on the chin of my helmet. For power I use a battery pack in the tank bag and so far it has worked out well..

This is a photo taken from the video I was shooting at Beartooth Pass...(Hero9)

View attachment 87619

Can you share a link for the headlight-area mount that you installed? Wunderlich?

@ramble , @bicyclenut had a great answer again! BTW, after 30 years on bikes I've never had lanything stolen from one! And as mentioned, the camera would be a PITA to steal unless someone is just wanting to be destructive.

@bicyclenut you sold me on that camera? Has it been reliable and no customer service issues from insta?

oscs, I've only had the Insta360 One X2 for a short time, but it has been reliable and no issues. I previously had a Insta360 One, I think this was their original 360 cam and never a problem. I also have a Insta360 One R and no issues. The One R is nice with a modular body/lens similar in size to a GoPro but the One X2 is smaller and lighter, so placing it on a selfie stick seems much better and more streamlined and this is the best way to get these video that look like filmed by a chase car or drone. The Insta360 software has lots of features and with my One R they have updated firmware regularly to fix issues and add features so I've been happy with them so far.

As far as action cam video, GoPro or 360 cam, I think the key is to have a remote of some sort and limit your video to short bit and pieces, otherwise you end up with hours of video you never use and it takes so long to edit, you never have time or finish. I have lots of video but never enough time to edit so I've decided this year to use a remote and limit video to short bits. The Insta360 camera do have a dedicated remote, voice commands, as well as the ability to control from a phone or an Apple Watch.

@ramble , @bicyclenut had a great answer again! BTW, after 30 years on bikes I've never had lanything stolen from one! And as mentioned, the camera would be a PITA to steal unless someone is just wanting to be destructive.

@bicyclenut you sold me on that camera? Has it been reliable and no customer service issues from insta?

oscs, I've only had the Insta360 One X2 for a short time, but it has been reliable and no issues. I previously had a Insta360 One, I think this was their original 360 cam and never a problem. I also have a Insta360 One R and no issues. The One R is nice with a modular body/lens similar in size to a GoPro but the One X2 is smaller and lighter, so placing it on a selfie stick seems much better and more streamlined and this is the best way to get these video that look like filmed by a chase car or drone. The Insta360 software has lots of features and with my One R they have updated firmware regularly to fix issues and add features so I've been happy with them so far.

As far as action cam video, GoPro or 360 cam, I think the key is to have a remote of some sort and limit your video to short bit and pieces, otherwise you end up with hours of video you never use and it takes so long to edit, you never have time or finish. I have lots of video but never enough time to edit so I've decided this year to use a remote and limit video to short bits. The Insta360 camera do have a dedicated remote, voice commands, as well as the ability to control from a phone or an Apple Watch.
Awesome! Thank you!

Back