• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OK, SO You ride an RT, Have You Owned a Goldwing?

In 2007, my SO and I drove our MINI Cooper S JCW on a trip to the southeast US. The MCS is set up as an auto-crosser, so the Dragon was a no-brainer as we made our way toward Atlanta from Asheville, NC. As we approached the straight toward the (northernly) beginning of the Tail, we saw two GWs being ridden 2-up. I felt a bit disappointed that we would be trailing them for the entire way and quickly decided to take it easy.

Well, you know what happened...we trailed them for a while and then they disappeared. However, while we could see them, I was amazed at the skill both riders had it piloting those machines...2-up no less! At the end, we stopped at the "Tree of Shame" to get a soda and struck up a conversation with another MINI owner just getting ready to go from south to north. She asked us to describe the experience in two words:

Theo: "Totally Awesome!"
SO: "Airsick Bag!"

Have never seen the Gold Wing (Hondabago) used as a Police bike.

Meanwhile, the boxer RT is the world standard Police bike.

Comparing the two is a bit apples/oranges I'd offer.

Have never seen the Gold Wing (Hondabago) used as a Police bike...{snip}

BirminghamALPolice.jpg

6180725553_fe9f45a968_z.jpg

P18006.jpg

I just picked up a 2003 goldwing in March, it's a fun bike, I consider my 09RT and the Wing as completely different bikes. The wing is purpose built as a long haul interstate bike, after taking several long trips with the wife in previous years on the RT, in April we took the 2003 Wing on a 4500 mile trip, we found it was a much better bike for the wife and I on long trips. we did several 850mile days and a 1000 mile day, about 800 miles was our previous max on the RT. For a big bike the center of gravity is really good, it is also a really easy bike to work on just like the RT. stock the goldwing suspension is soft, before our trip I rebuilt the forks and added new springs and gold valves, I also put a rebuilt RaceTech shock on the back. I find the bike handles really well now, my friends are amazed two up the pace it has on the twisty roads around here. That 1800cc is engine is great, it has 125ft-lbs of torque and is really fun to drive. I like the RT for solo shorter trips, and the RT is a Better around town daily commuter, but for any long distance stuff it's hard to pass up taking the Wing. If you get a chance to ride one it will really surprise you, you can find good deals on 2002, 2003, and 2004 goldwings, and any wing with less than 80k is just barely broke in. I picked up the 2003 just to try something different, and if it didn't work out it was an easy resell, after putting about 6k on it I'm keeping it for a while, it is a really fun bike. On your windshield question, Coming from the RT I could not deal with the stock Wing windshield, I like to look over the shield, getting a windbender for the Wing solved the windshield issue for me.

The RT is still the preeminent authority bike.

Not challenging that, Ponch. Kent wrote that he had never seen a GW police bike. Now he has.

BTW - the first photo shows the Birmingham, AL PD. We were there in 2007 and I though I saw HDs. Perhaps they have changed yet again after the GWs?

The RT is still the preeminent authority bike.

Statistically, the preeminent authority bikes in the US are Harley-Davidsons (either Road Kings or Ultra Classics).

Incidentally, the fastest time on the Tail of the Dragon (just under 11 minutes) was done by a Gold Wing.

Statistically, the preeminent authority bikes in the US are Harley-Davidsons (either Road Kings or Ultra Classics).

Incidentally, the fastest time on the Tail of the Dragon (just under 11 minutes) was done by a Gold Wing.

Fastest time on the Tail? Is that because the riders on Ducatis, GSXRs, FZRs, et al, get pulled over mid run? Just wondering! LOL

I remember a little funny story from our BIL, a former moto officer at South Lake Tahoe back in the 70's. He started to pull over a gent for excessive speed, who was riding a Bonneville. The guy turned and looked at him, then flipped him off, and cranked it on. Dan dropped a gear on his Kawi 900 and flew past the speeder and motioned him to the curb. The rider's "excuse" for attempting to outrun Dan? "Jeesh, I thought you were on a Harley!". Dan laughed so hard, he almost let the guy go....but not quite!

Fastest time on the Tail? Is that because the riders on Ducatis, GSXRs, FZRs, et al, get pulled over mid run? Just wondering! LOL

I remember a little funny story from our BIL, a former moto officer at South Lake Tahoe back in the 70's. He started to pull over a gent for excessive speed, who was riding a Bonneville. The guy turned and looked at him, then flipped him off, and cranked it on. Dan dropped a gear on his Kawi 900 and flew past the speeder and motioned him to the curb. The rider's "excuse" for attempting to outrun Dan? "Jeesh, I thought you were on a Harley!". Dan laughed so hard, he almost let the guy go....but not quite!

As a motorcycle instructor at a race track (Elkhart Lake's ROAD AMERICA), I routinely get a variety of bike makes and styles to use in classes. Spent last summer frequently using Honda CBR250's for instruction. While 'sport bikes' are neat to ride, their steering lock (how far the handlebars turn left or right before being stopped) is significantly compromised - these bikes were designed to go wickedly fast, but also designed to go straight, with a narrow steering lock radius; not really an disadvantage, since the corners on race tracks do not begin to compare with the tight turns on The Dragon.

Whether on my R1200RT or my 2012 (2nd generation) Gold Wing, I could out-turn and out-ride these sport bikes any day of the week.

A touring rig with a competent rider will out-perform a sport bike (albeit, other than straight-a-ways) on The Dragon with little effort. Been there - done that.

BTW, liked your motor officer story!

Last edited:
How old is old men?

Might be the driver. The best riders I've tried to keep up with--but never quite got there--were old men. Don't sell 'em short. I've ridden Gold Wings and they are great machines when piloted by great pilots.

I am 57, bald, only ten pounds over weight and what little hair I have left is white.
Am I old? I don't feel old.
I would like to own a full dresser for those long comfortable rides and keep the RT for everything else.
I started coming up to a stop sign with just the rear brake and I put my left foot down just as natural as can be.
I learned that little trick right here on the BMW MOA Forum!!

deals gap on a goldwing gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eDVJFDblQ2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can turn your Wing into a money maker to pay for the fun and related tickets.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EiojZ7HfCWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, liked your motor officer story!

On the "off-season" BIL Dan was assigned a patrol car...I went on swing shift ride-alongs a few times (I was a State Conservation LEO in those days) and we enjoyed a few humorous events. But this story of the Triumph rider seemed to be the pick o' the litter. Wish I'd been on that particular traffic stop...but riding pillion on top of a Motorola radio box wasn't my cup of tea. :laugh

Cheers!

Back