• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, I'm probably just retarded.

BCKRider

Kbiker
"Moved," followed by thread title. Moved WHERE? Am I missing something obvious? Wouldn't it be helpful to instead say "Moved to Airheads" or wherever?

If one of you mod's want to take me by the hand, I have several other questions too. 1. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post, not the whole thing including photos? 2. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post and then highlight in red the particular remark you wish to comment on? 3. Should I be asking these "how to" questions in a different forum? 4. If one of you wants to send me a Personal Message on these matters, how do I receive it (after noticing that I have one.)

Though I obviously have lots to learn, I have really enjoyed initiating, responding to, and learning from posts on topics that interest me. I think, for me, this is the most bang I get for my membership buck - though I do look forward to the Rally next summer in Oregon. I was there for the last one. Maybe I can meet some of you there and put faces to some very nice and thoughtful people.

. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post, not the whole thing including photos
Not a Mod, but can help you out.
When you press quote you will see the message with
on each end.
Highlight what you do not want in the message and delete.
If you do not want the picture in your reply, click on the picture to highlight and delete.

"2. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post and then highlight in red the particular remark you wish to comment on?

When you press Quote, you will see a big A in the toolbar. Highlight the portion you want in read, click on the big A, you will see boxes of color, click on red or any color you want and that's it.
Try it out on my reply.
If my replies were too brief, ask again for more steps.

When I try something I'm not sure about, I try preview post. If it does not look right, I just cancel or back out.

.......Not sure why it's called forum software?

Lee great question!

This specific forum has gone thru a few naming iterations to better zero it in for the purpose it is trying to serve, which is those seeking answers in how to work in the forum, such as posting pictures, avatars etc., and we have been trying to minimize or (hoping to eliminate) postings that are not specific to useage of forum tools in this specific forum. Such as anything pertaining to bikes, gear, trips, since there are subforums already in place to support those questions.

Your link to BCKRider was great. :thumb

Thanks

"Moved," followed by thread title. Moved WHERE? Am I missing something obvious? Wouldn't it be helpful to instead say "Moved to Airheads" or wherever?

Just click on the thread title and it will take you to the moved thread. From there you'll be able to see, at the top of the page, where it has moved to.

When the mods think a posting is better placed in another area, we leave a "redirect" in the place it used to be. This allows those who follow just that area to know that a thread they might have been looking at didn't just disappear.

If one of you mod's want to take me by the hand, I have several other questions too. 1. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post, not the whole thing including photos? 2. How do you quote a few lines from a previous post and then highlight in red the particular remark you wish to comment on? 3. Should I be asking these "how to" questions in a different forum? 4. If one of you wants to send me a Personal Message on these matters, how do I receive it (after noticing that I have one.)

You might want to look at the FAQs (top of the page, next to the User CP), and in particular, how the bbcode works. There are many options for making your messages look the way you want. For your questions here, you'll be interested in the [quote] and [color] bbcodes.

Besides manually marking up your posts, you can use the buttons on the toolbar just above where you edit your message to do things like change font size or color, bold/italicize/underline text, and much more. The toolbar buttons just insert the bbcode necessary for their function.

If you have a Private Message (a PM as we say), you'll see a note for it at the top of each forum page. Directly under where, in big text, it says BMW MOTORCYCLE OWNERS of AMERICA, there's a second line that reads Welcome, BCKRIDER: private messages: 0. Or, maybe, the number is greater than 0, so you have PMs waiting for you to read. This line is a link to your Inbox, where you can read or send PMs.

Though I obviously have lots to learn, I have really enjoyed initiating, responding to, and learning from posts on topics that interest me. I think, for me, this is the most bang I get for my membership buck - though I do look forward to the Rally next summer in Oregon. I was there for the last one. Maybe I can meet some of you there and put faces to some very nice and thoughtful people.

I hope to see you in Redmond!

I hope to meet you there. I "know" a lot of folks from the forum that I have never met in person. It is always fun to see how well my perception and reality match when someone puts out their hand and says "Hi, I'm ________ from the forum."

Heads up. I'm 63, balding, overweight and mostly smile. :D

I hope to meet you there. I "know" a lot of folks from the forum that I have never met in person. It is always fun to see how well my perception and reality match when someone puts out their hand and says "Hi, I'm ________ from the forum."

Heads up. I'm 63, balding, overweight and mostly smile. :D

Bud/Bob, I think you'd recognize me again, wouldn't ya???? :D

Thanks for trying, guys. 1. Correct, clicking on the title of a moved thread does take me to it. 2. Highlighting everything in a post that you DON'T want then hitting the delete key on the keyboard also works, but it sure seems like the hard way. Is that what you did, Daryl, in post #6? I tried to use the button just to the right of the quote button for multiple quotes - no go.

After that, confusion reigns. I DID find the stuff on bb codes in FAQ, but haven't a clue how to use them. As for a TOOL BAR above the message, huh? All I can see is the line with "user CP, FAQ, Members List" etc. I DO have the icons at the bottom though not sure how you get them to land where I want. Is it possible my tool bar is disabled? Certainly there is no letter A, for example, to get to any choice of colors.

If one of you has the time to take a phone call from me and was good enough to send me your phone number in a PM, exactly what do I do to receive the message? Is my "in box" my email inbox?

I'm almost 63 too. Senility has definitely set in. The hair loss must have allowed my brains to leak out. Anyone want to take another stab at getting through?

Well, maybe not! In CP I just found the dope on both PM's and also the fancier version which DOES have a tool bar. Gotta go to bed but will play with some more before seeking your further help.

Last edited:
In my world 83 + 27 is 110%.

Do you proof read for those guys who calculate these "stimulus" job recovery figures?! :stick

No politics, it's the "new math"

anditwaslateIwastired.

Be happy I make mistakes, otherwise we might never have met.
:ha

2. Highlighting everything in a post that you DON'T want then hitting the delete key on the keyboard also works, but it sure seems like the hard way. Is that what you did, Daryl, in post #6?

Yes, that's it. Sorry there's no easier way. I just hit the quote button and then clip out what I'm not responding to.

Also, as with this reply, I break up the quote in order to make clear what I'm responding to. So, the original quote button gave me

[QUOTE="BCKRIDER, post: 536193, member: 35248"]all your text[/quote]

...and then what I do is put

[/quote]
my specific reply text
[quote]

in the middle. Notice that I'm closing the quote, adding my reply, then opening a new quote. Because the ending close quote is still there, I can add more text after your quote and it looks like this reply, with multiple quote blocks.

I tried to use the button just to the right of the quote button for multiple quotes - no go.

That button is for multiple quotes. You can click that button on one or more posts in a thread, and then finally hit the quote button on the last post you want to quote, and all of the posts will show up in your reply in separate quote blocks.

After that, confusion reigns. I DID find the stuff on bb codes in FAQ, but haven't a clue how to use them.

You can use the BBCodes by surrounding the text you want to mark up with them:

If you type this:
[b]this is bold text[/b]

it will display this:
this is bold text

and [QUOTE]this is quoted text[/QUOTE] comes out like
this is quoted text

As for a TOOL BAR above the message, huh? All I can see is the line with "user CP, FAQ, Members List" etc. I DO have the icons at the bottom though not sure how you get them to land where I want. Is it possible my tool bar is disabled? Certainly there is no letter A, for example, to get to any choice of colors.
It sounds as if you're looking too high on the page. When you hit reply or quote, you go to a Reply to Thread page. Below the User CP/FAQ/... menu bar is a text entry field to put in a title for your reply. Below that is a larger entry field for your reply. Between the two should appear a menu bar that allows you to set font, size, color, insert smilies, bold/italic/underling, left/center/right align, number and bullet lists, indent, and more. See the highlighted area on the attached screen capture, below.

If one of you has the time to take a phone call from me and was good enough to send me your phone number in a PM, exactly what do I do to receive the message? Is my "in box" my email inbox?

It's probably better to try to answer your questions here so that others can also benefit from them.

As far as PMs (private messages) go, the forum maintains its own system, and everyone gets their own Inbox. You can create other folders if you get enough PMs that you want to keep them separated out. Just go to the top of the page and click on the private messages: 0 text and you will go to your Inbox. You can get there through the User CP link as well, but it's not as direct.

I'm almost 63 too. Senility has definitely set in. The hair loss must have allowed my brains to leak out. Anyone want to take another stab at getting through?

Although it won't show in this quote, I can see that you bolded some of the text. So you must have figured out how to use the BBcodes a little bit.

Well, maybe not! In CP I just found the dope on both PM's and also the fancier version which DOES have a tool bar. Gotta go to bed but will play with some more before seeking your further help.

AHA! You'll get the hang of it. The vBulletin software we're using for this forum has a huge number of features.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks so much, Daryl! Your patience and thoroughness boggle my mind.

I've printed your last post for reference and will try to use a couple of the new-to-me features in my new post in Campfire this evening.

Hope to meet you in Oregon this summer, assuming I have better success than I did trying to attend the Gillette rally in 2008.

Back