• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil levels

HFbmw

howdy!
I purchased a 95 k1100RS on the 25th of July. Changed the oil last week and also both tires. This weekend decided to change the coolant.
After getting that done I decided to check the transmission oil. I notice the tool kit doesn't have the grooved line on the shock tool for checking the oil level. Well anyways the 90 weight was too high up the lever! So I dropped that oil right away and went out and found some Mobile 1 90 weight for refilling.
I measured the old batch of oil and the poor tranny had over 45oz!

Moral of story? Always change the oil and do the work! Better to have a clean slate, eh?

tim lindstrom
91 k100lt 136,000+ miles
95 k1100rs 23,700 miles

howdy!
I purchased a 95 k1100RS on the 25th of July. Changed the oil last week and also both tires. This weekend decided to change the coolant.
After getting that done I decided to check the transmission oil. I notice the tool kit doesn't have the grooved line on the shock tool for checking the oil level. Well anyways the 90 weight was too high up the lever! So I dropped that oil right away and went out and found some Mobile 1 90 weight for refilling.
I measured the old batch of oil and the poor tranny had over 45oz!

Moral of story? Always change the oil and do the work! Better to have a clean slate, eh?

tim lindstrom
91 k100lt 136,000+ miles
95 k1100rs 23,700 miles

I heard somewhere of someone filling one up to the filler hole...I think on this forum.

The tool for the tranny level in the K11 did not come in the tool roll (at least in any I have come across.) Luckily it is cheap ($5?) and as far as I know still quite available - I ordered mine from Morton's BMW. It looks like a flattened allen wrench and fits right in the tool roll.

EDIT - I believe the part # is 71112316195

The tool for the tranny level in the K11 did not come in the tool roll (at least in any I have come across.) Luckily it is cheap ($5?) and as far as I know still quite available - I ordered mine from Morton's BMW. It looks like a flattened allen wrench and fits right in the tool roll.

EDIT - I believe the part # is 71112316195

Mine looked like a shock adjustment tool, with a line on the handle for the level. But I see the one you refer to in the ETK. Didn't know about that one.

Mine looked like a shock adjustment tool, with a line on the handle for the level. But I see the one you refer to in the ETK. Didn't know about that one.

That's the way it worked on my K75S. When I got the K11 and saw the same included tool had no line I tried the one from the K75S but I never could get it to fit in there enough to actually get a correct reading. I asked on the IBMWR list and found out about the specific tool.

My '96 K1100LT came with the tool in the roll. My '95 (used, so the PO may have lost it) had neither the tool nor a line on the shock tool. I just measured the distance and the "max" mark is 4 9/16" down the tool and the end of the tool (min?) is 4 13/16" from the "L" bend.

Back