• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil level question

jimbem

My 2015 RT with 213,000 miles has sat idle for 4 months now. I went to check the oil and couldn't see any oil in the cloudy site glass. I scolded myself for having let the oil get that low and started adding oil. I added a full quart and still can't see anything through the site glass (plastic).I know it' past time to install a new glass. I'm having a very hard time believing I let the oil level get below the site glass and needing more than a quart.My question is is there a way to check the oil other than the site glass?

Sometimes you can see oil in a clouded sight glass if the bike is tilted away from the glass and back—through evolution the human eye has become well-trained at detecting motion. But if the glass is deeply clouded even that may not help. With adding a quart the bike is now quite possibly over-filled and you don’t want to run it that way.

I see an oil change and new sight glass in your future…

Best,
DeVern

can i change the site glass without draining the oil?

If you lean the bike far enough over that the oil level is below the sight glass then yes you can. Clean the recess completely - clean and dry - and then insert the new sight glass assembly also clean and dry.

Hmm ... Does the sight glass get cloudy from chemically reacting with the oil (on the glass's inside surface) or from UV degradation (on the outside of the glass)?

If it's the outside of the glass some polishing with a fine rubbing compound might clear it enough to see what's going on.

Good luck!

The old sight glasses were plastic and thus subject to degradation from heat and petrochemicals. The usual problem was discoloration of the plastic, rendering it impossible to easily see the color-matching oil.

The new ones are glass and should stay clear much longer.

Best,
DeVern

The old sight glasses were plastic and thus subject to degradation from heat and petrochemicals. The usual problem was discoloration of the plastic, rendering it impossible to easily see the color-matching oil.

The new ones are glass and should stay clear much longer.

Best,
DeVern

While on the topic, more than one brand of motor oil (or additive) can be purchased which contains a mixture of Molybdenum Disulfide - or Moly for short. This is a very finely ground black powder in suspension in the oil or carrier. I have used a Moly additive in transmissions and final drives for 35 years.

I once thought it would be a good idea to use Kalgard brand engine oil with Moly. The black powder in suspension coated the sight glass on my K75 very well. Too well. I could not see the oil level through the Moly coating. Fortunately that motorcycle did not burn or leak oil so I just went the 6K miles interval to the next change and put in Castrol. And then again and then again. By the third oil change I could once again see through the sight glass. My advice: don't put Moly in your engine oil if the bike has a sight glass. :)

My 2015 RT with 213,000 miles

213,000 miles in six years :thumb:thumb

Did you look at the site glass when the bike is on the sidestand or lean the bike to the left while another person looks at the site glass to make sure the oil is not overfilled ?
I don't think miles as much as age will cloud a sight glass. Both of our 2016 Wetheads have clear site glasses.
We use the BMW branded oil and Castrol 5W 40.

I used to shine a small LED flashlight into the sight glass of my K75 and that sometimes helped me to see the oil level. Hold the light against the glass if possible.

sorry for not getting back sooner. I leaned the bike over and wiggled it while my wife looked at the site glass. She couldn't see any oil . I then tried cleaning the site glass with Novus #1 plastic cleaner. It did clean the glass (or is it plastic,I don't know yet). Enough that we could see the oil behind it. And it was completely over filled. It was messy but I drained some oil and then topped it off to where it should have been. I don't think it was low to begin with. Just couldn't see it through the cloudy glass.

Back