• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Drain Plug Washer question

What size are the crush washers? I would like to use ones from the local auto shop since the BMW dealer is far away.
I guess I would call them and ask them to put 5 in a full size envelope, taped to the invoice, affix a stamp and mail it to you.
OM

Reading these post about crush washers I am fascinated with the level of frugality about reusing something that costs pennies.
I am tempted to offer a "Group Buy" so we can save another 3 cents each. ... Any interest in a Crush Washer Group Buy?:)

True story: When the dealer did the PDI on my GSA last month, the tech failed to note the oil was overfilled. And - my bad - I failed to check the oil level before setting off on the 230 mile delivery ride home. When I arrived, I did check the oil level and was initially horrified - no oil! - before realizing the reason I saw no fill-line was the sight gauge being completely filled. So - drain some off, right? While pulling off about 500 cc (not wanting to drain the 600 mile "break-in" oil completely cuz' it's supposed to be "different"....?) I realized I would be re-torquing the crush washer - a venial, not mortal sin. This set up an online query that night to determine the size washer I would need in future if I choose not to pay the mothership for $100 "oil change kits." Easy, right? Just go online. After an hour in washer spec hell, I raised the white flag of surrender and ordered a sack of the little buggers by BMW part number. The Sun will go nova before I need more. :)

Back