• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Drain Plug Washer question

edswope

Anybody re-use the aluminum washer? I mistakenly overfilled the engine oil on my 2009 R1200RT. I loosened the plug enough to drain the oil and then re-tightened it again to32nm with a Torque wrench.

I'm getting ready for a long trip and did not have an extra washer available? I do have time to get one if I should?

Thanks

Somehow between the local Beemer shop and my home the washer jumped out of the bag. Went 3000+ miles without a drop lost reusing the old washer. And found the washer a month or so later while vacuuming the car. Put a catch pan under it and do not worry about it until proof it is losing oil. Worst case would be weeping and likely not any pronounced leaking of oil.

Crush washers crush with the torque applied. If you measure with a caliper you'll see that the washer is compressed vs. a new one. So, on the rare occasions I reuse one, I just don't torque as much as with a new one. But, you'll be fine. Change it next oil change and enjoy the trip.

BMW specifies the washer be replaced every time.

Some here will give you "permission" to ignore this.

As far as I know, ALL crush washers SHOULD be replaced every time. But if you did it already, I wouldn't go 'fixing' it. Just change it out next time.

Its not a true crush washer, BMW Porsche etc don't like you reusing washers for fear of leakage. A true crush washer flattens out and is pretty obvious it's used
Dimple magnetic drain plugs come with a aluminum washer meant to be reused
If the washer is not distorted or scratched no reason not to reuse

Oil Drain Plug Waher Problem

Change it twice next time and you will be statisticaly perfect. Oh, and bow down before a Roundel and say 5 "I'm sorrys."

I buy them a dozen or so at a time, and almost always use a new one for drain plugs. If I am feeling stingy I will reuse the washer on a transmission or final drive fill plug.

It is not that I am particularly afraid a re-used one might leak. It is because in the process of tightening a new one it is easy to feel the new washer crush and then stop being crushed. I cannot feel this when reusing an old one. The freshly crushed washer acts somewhat as a lock washer. So the risks are getting it too tight and damaging the threads, or not tight enough and having it come out.

I have known of a half dozen cases of plugs coming out and creating a personal oil slick for the owner's rear tire. Upon asking, every one of them told me they reused the crush washer.

A torque wrench is essential if you reuse a crush washer, but the feel of the washer crushing is sufficient for me if I use a new one.

OK, so I'm guilty of crush washer re-use. On my '11 RT and two Accords, and a bunch of previous bikes and cars. But usually only when I have forgotten to have some new ones on hand, which I discover after I've drained the oil.

But for Pete's sake, you've got a $$$$ motorcycle and you're nickel and diming on the price of a new crush washer? Even at BMW's ridiculous price, it's a non-factor. What Paul said - buy a dozen and have 'em in stock when you need one. New is good. :thumb

pete

In 45 years of owning probably 30 cars and 15 motorcycles AND doing regular oil changes at the recommended intervals, I've changed the washer maybe 2 or 3 times and I've never had so much as a drop of oil leak out of any vehicle.

This leads me to conclude that it can't all be dumb luck, but that changing those washers are unnecessary.

I did have a major oil leak in my car once around 1977 after I pulled away from one of those 10 minute oil change places.

OK I have to ask why not anneal the washer. It is aluminum and at 800* it should be as good as new. I used to anneal my head gaskets on old Triumphs they were copper. But the idea is the same, heat to annealing temp and let it cool,good as new!

I'm with Paul and precisely for the reasons he gave. The feel of a new crush is the best way I know to tell that a fill plug is correctly tightened. Washers are cheap and can be had at any parts place. From my time with cars at tracks, I've seen way too many oil spills and in cars some of those result in fires from contact with a hot exhaust - many caused by inept mechanical work at everything from retightening plugs to fabricating hoses. I also know from personal experience its no fun to hit oil dumped right in front of you at triple digit speeds so do my best to make sure I don't do it to myself or another racer.

Re annealing- yeah an old trick that I've actually done with copper in a pinch but for what a washer costs, no one in their right mind would waste time on this as a routine practice.
Can't say I've done it with aluminum..

Racer 7 I did not mean for routine changes, but when you had one of those Oh S---
where is that washer moments.

Crush Washer no worries

In 45 years of owning probably 30 cars and 15 motorcycles AND doing regular oil changes at the recommended intervals, I've changed the washer maybe 2 or 3 times and I've never had so much as a drop of oil leak out of any vehicle.

This leads me to conclude that it can't all be dumb luck, but that changing those washers are unnecessary.

I did have a major oil leak in my car once around 1977 after I pulled away from one of those 10 minute oil change places.

I've got 5 extra years on you and ditto, never had a leak. While I keep a washer on hand, just in case, I don't lose sleep over it. Interestingly, when I bought a new Honda Pilot, at the "New Owners Orientation", the mechanic said that you should always use a new crush washer. He even offered free washers if you would come by and get one. Nice ploy to get additional maintenance income, eh?

Sooo next time - just drop your oil filter, pour out the oil, and reinstall. Obviously don't rev the bike to the redline right away after starting it, but I found that method was easier than messing with the crush washer/drain bolt.

What size are the crush washers? I would like to use ones from the local auto shop since the BMW dealer is far away.

For an '05 RT it listed as an A16x20 Aluminum washer at MaxBMW's parts fiche. It doesn't state thickness but I don't think that matters.

Reading these post about crush washers I am fascinated with the level of frugality about reusing something that costs pennies.
I am tempted to offer a "Group Buy" so we can save another 3 cents each.

Any interest in a Crush Washer Group Buy?:)

Back