• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil capacity for the rear-gear on a 2021RT?

@explorer

Can u explain to me the differ between the "initial filling" being 200 and the "change oil" being 180

Just guessing (my first 12K mile service coming up next month) but I would assume either:

A) 20ml is undrainable from the assembly once filled; or

B) Initial filling of new final drive allows a higher oil level to ensure running-in lubrication.

But - just a guess from the (not-so) cheap seats! :)

Consider how much difference there is between 200ml and 180 ml, (.67 oz) or about 1/2 a shot glass, it's probably a moot point.

The initial filling is at the factory, and everything is new and dry inside.
When you change the oil, it's highly likely that you don't get out "all" of the old oil; some will always stick to the gears and housing unless you wash it out with kerosene or gas (and neither is advised unless you actually need to wash out chips from either damage or fill/drain plug hole threads' rework).

My understanding is it was designed for 220ml in the non vented final drive, but that didn't leave quite enough air for expansion which caused the oil seal to leak. So BMW lowered the recommended fill to 180ml to allow for more air. Since then they've incorporated a vent so from then on they could have gone back to the original 220ml but I never heard either way (but reading this thread they never changed it back it's still 180). Not knowing, for the first FD oil change on my 2014 GSA I carefully measured the original fill that drained out, I let it drain like I always do for around 20-30 minutes, and 200-202ml is what drained out. So I refilled it with 200ml. I did the same on my new (at the time) 2016 RS and just over 200ml drained out, so it gets 200ml too.

^^^ Nice, milo! That basically takes care of any issues and discrepancies in some book!! :thumb

My 2021 RT does not call for the final drive oil to be changed during the 1st run in service like my 2 previous wetheads did (2015 & 2018). When I purchased the bike I went ahead a bought the new final drive fluid and oil rings and plan on changing it myself at 700 miles.

^ that is a nice middle ground there...:D I add Moly paste to my FD oil and so far it worked on my oil-head and wet-head bikes... YMMV

BMW sells a 200ml bottle for service. OIl drain and fill is 180ml. Disassemble, clean and fill from a DRY gear condition is 200ml.

The initial filling is for a dry unit, freshly assembled at the factory.
20 mL = 20 cc = 0.676 oz (U.S.) =1.35 tablespoon
They're accounting for the leftover oil sticking to the gears and housing when the oil is changed.

Down hea, one tablespoon is also 3 teaspoons.
BUT - There is also a difference (naturally...) between a U.S. and a British tablespoon:
In the British system, one tablespoon is equivalent to 17.7582 milliliters; in the American system, it’s 14.7868 milliliters. (Source: errenskitchen.com) It's probably more important for recipes than for oil.

Consider how much difference there is between 200ml and 180 ml, (.67 oz) or about 1/2 a shot glass, it's probably a moot point.
It's not a moot point. If you overfill there is the possibility of blowing out a seal. Don't ask me how I know this.

Back