• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil capacity for the rear-gear on a 2021RT?

I found it for a R1250RT 2019. It's 4 liters 1.1 gallon with filter. The manual I looked at it was on page 188 Engine Oil. Look for Engine Oil - Technical Data in the index. The engine and transmission share the same oil.

Thank you very much Cap

I am of the faith that my 2021 also take 180ml of the precious juice. However, I have yet to see any technical data that supports that for the 2021 1250RT. I am amazed the owners' manual does not list that capacity...maybe the dude that wrote the manual was struggling with Covid

yea, that's it, they must have left it out of my manual...I supposed it could have been a transgender, a dudette, a non-binary, a gay male person, a bi-sexual humanoid, a lesbian person of the female persuasion; heck it could have been even a robot...

...my bad in assuming it was a 'dude', dude.

Let's keep this between the guard rails, OK? Thanks... I'm sure we're dealing with an editing error or something like that...

Let's keep this between the guard rails, OK? Thanks... I'm sure we're dealing with an editing error or something like that...

uh!, I thought I apologetically and respectfully kept it within them politically correct 'guard-rails'....if not please either erase my post or I 'll be glad to erase it myself...and my apologies...

Since there appeared to be an implicit gender bias complaint on my addressing the author of the my owner's manual as 'dude', I proceeded to label the potential human authors (respectfully) by all the pertinent gender identities in our present culture. Did I miss any? I presume there could be others I may have missed and thus, I am deeply disturbed, as my moto is to be personally inclusive in cultural ethos.

I acknowledge, that I have seen some entities in our cities, as I tour cross country on my RT, that may have migrated to Earth from other planets. I am a simple person, and lack the knowledge to use the appropriate ethics to identify the biological or chosen identity of interplanetary visitors. My bad on that

Beemer land is the mother of all Beemers...however, some are still arguing that the capacity for the rear-gear is 180; and that BMW changed it to 180 from 200 several years ago. Who is right? ...'m working on it.

When I got my 07 RT the final drive was supposed to be maintenance free forever and held 240 ml of gear oil (the 240 number is from memory, but I think it is close). In response to to an unacceptable failure rate of hexhead final drives BMW made a series of changes. These included changing the oil at the 600 mile service, and later adding changing it every 12,000 miles; oil capacity was reduced to 200 ml and later to 180 ml. It has remained at 180 ml up until the R1200 liquid cooled bikes and I believe to the current R1250s. Somewhere along the line fill and drain holes were added to the final drive as was venting. All of these changes, in addition to other probable changes to the mechanical design of the final drive, resulted in much improved final drive reliability.

..however, some are still arguing that the capacity for the rear-gear is 180; and that BMW changed it to 180 from 200 several years ago. Who is right? ...

Both are correct. The volume is 180 and for a time it was 200 but BMW changed it to 180.

Call a shop you trust and ask the service department.

Initial filling vs.

The Final word straight from Beemer land

200ml for the rear-gear oil

This from the 2020 Repair DVD - and it mentions both 200ml (Initial Filling) and 180ml (Oil Change); Possibly explains both numbers being quoted as "fact".

Your mileage might vary.

Respectfully submitted -

explorer (dude)

2020 R1250RT

BMW R1250RT Repair Manual Final Drive.jpg

@explorer

Can u explain to me the differ between the "initial filling" being 200 and the "change oil" being 180

Back