• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Norton

Money and backers.

The Dreer project had a $10 million nut to crack in order to go into production and was able to raise commitments for just over $8.4 the last time we look at it. they could not raise the last when their time ran out.

I am not certain of the business details after that.

The resurrection of motorcycle marques is always an interesting mystery story. In the struggle to survive the original manufacture often has sold off parts of the company and licenses that include naming rights. The rights are often limited. The final bankruptcy of a brand is handled on the based on what is left. With the separation of a few years and rights to various pieces that may be spread around the world bringing a marque back to life can be a complicated process.

I did some digging into this return of the Norton Commando and found these articles.

thisisderbyshire.co.uk: New facrotry means Norton’s bikes will once again be made in Britain

motorcyclenews.com: New Norton boss speaks exclusively to MCN

bbc.co.uk: Can Norton make its marquee again?

motorcyclenews: Norton move in!

birminghampost.net: Norton Motorcycles back under Midlands ownership

millscnc.co.uk: History in the making! – Latest news – Mills CNC Ltd.

Then I did a bit of digging into Garner to try and find out what his background and resources are. The association with Norton started with his ownership of Norton Racing Ltd.. You can dig into the genesis of this company on their site. In addition Garner apparently owns or is a partner in a number of businesses. He owns and is the Managing Director of Fireworks International and is a partner in Spondon Engineering Ltd. Spondon, a familiar name to long time racing fans, is an engineering firm specializing in performance and racing motorcycles and is a motorcycle frame kit manufacturer. Garner may own or be partner in other businesses but these are the only ones I found in my quick search.
nortonracing.com: Norton Comes Home!!!

But is everything all as cut and dried for Garner and Norton Motorcycles as these articles would lead us to believe.

Norton Motors Ltd appears to be claiming that Garner bought something that wasn’t actually the seller’s property.

nortonmotors.co.uk claims a continuous pedigree that goes back to the original Norton Company by way of a German sister company. In the About us section their self description starts:

Norton Motors Ltd goes back to the original company founded by James Lansdowne Norton in 1898. It takes the old name back to England, where it first started, via a joint venture company in Germany.

Norton Motors (1978) Ltd established a daughter company, Norton Motors Germany, as a joint venture with the then German importer Joachim "Joe" Seifert in 1988, and Seifert, in turn, registered Norton Motors Ltd in England in 1996 together with Richard Negus, the last Norton Motors Ltd "Chief of Motorcycles".

The article goes on from there.

:lurk

Dreer's operation was full of good intentions, and IMHO, a good design. It sounds like the new Norton will be building on that design.

Will Norton ever be at full strength again, or will it be a limited run custom sort of thing? Could this possibly be another Hinckley/Triumph success story?

As I did my digging it sounded like they are going for a big niche, not on the lines of Triumph Hinckley

Limited run 500 Rotary
The Dreer based Commando as a larger production run
and 2-4 other yet to be identified models.

In one article the long term production target for Triumph was put at around 100,000 bikes a year or in the current BMW range. Garner said he didn't want to be that big. It sounds more like a long term goal maybe production in the 25-35,000 units which would put it in the current Ducati sales volume range.

Last edited:
It really is a beautiful bike.
In some ways it bears a little resemblance to the Duc Monsters with the hooligan look, as well as the Brit heritage.
At $20k, a bit pricey for me.
Maybe I can at least sit on one at the Chicago IMC.

There was nothing from Norton at the NY Motorcycle show I attended yesterday............Strange?

not really enough cash to support paying for a booth at the show. i was surprised to see royal enfield there, but they had a tiny amount of floor space and a hefty backer in Eicher. Same deal for Guzzi, with Piaggio as their parent.

Triumph wasn't there and i'm pretty sure it was a cash issue, no Ural this year either. BMW's booth seemed smaller as well.

There was nothing from Norton at the NY Motorcycle show I attended yesterday............Strange?

Not really. They are not in production yet, the prices are not set and the space would have had to been arranged for before they had closed the deals on the bike.

Wow.

not really enough cash to support paying for a booth at the show. i was surprised to see royal enfield there, but they had a tiny amount of floor space and a hefty backer in Eicher. Same deal for Guzzi, with Piaggio as their parent.

Triumph wasn't there and i'm pretty sure it was a cash issue, no Ural this year either. BMW's booth seemed smaller as well.

Sheesh. I knew BMW wasn't going to be here in the Twin Cities. Some local dealers bring their Triumphs to show off. As I recall, Ural had a decent display last year, it was very cool to see. I'll have to check the site to see who's all coming here in February.

I'm almost sorry that I've already purchased my tickets..

Norton Girls

These were during the Dreer period, but close enough:

447230771_tAmwB-M.jpg

447233031_4s6dP-M.jpg

447233022_dmCEW-M.jpg

(Note: if anybody finds this offensive, my sincere apologies and I'll humbly accept a good smacking from the mods.)

About the bikes though, I am glad to hear that the new Norton isn't dead yet. I had pretty high hopes, and if the bikes ever go into production at decent, competitive price, then I'd probably seriously consider one to keep around for short-distance jollies and local hooning.

That's the spirit! Looks like Kenny was trying to preserve the best parts of the Norton heritage while eliminating the worst (constant loss oiling, "Prince of Darkness" electrics).

Sheesh. I knew BMW wasn't going to be here in the Twin Cities. Some local dealers bring their Triumphs to show off. As I recall, Ural had a decent display last year, it was very cool to see. I'll have to check the site to see who's all coming here in February.

I'm almost sorry that I've already purchased my tickets..

I'm really looking forward to the Twin Cities show; this year I have about five boys, ranging from 9 to 15 coming along. It's become an annual event. I still can't see how BMW could pullout..it's such a great market, and I bet tons cheaper than color print! Just don't know!

Red

I hope the Company does well, but it's like we discussed in another thread-Like Indian, there will never be another real Norton produced. I always thought they were head and shoulders above Triumph and BSA. Really good motorcycles.

:usa

Back