• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noise

Hello; I have slways considered motorcycling as a solitary experience, and have enjoyed it as such, but by watching "two weel tuesday" I have come to realize that all those "cruiser boys" or "Harley boys" do it to get out with their pals, and wouldn't ride at all if it wasn't for the other fellows to ride with. That wexplains a lot to me.

If I catch up to a group of Harley riders and it takes me awhile to get by all of them, they might speed up to keep me in line, or damn near blow up their motorcycles trying to keep ahead of me. I am just enjoying my motorcycle (independence) while they are repelling me for not being one of them. Qite often they are surprised to see me, like they don't look in they're mirrors and don't usually have anyone pass them. They're rolling along on their island of noise in a group that no one would dare to try to pass.

They usually aren't going very far anyway in their ridiculous uncomfortable poses, usually just as far as the next bar, so I don't have to wait long to get by them even if I do stay in line. The noise thing is an important part of the Harley image, I suppose. It is not independence to them, it's more like being one of the guys. Different strokes dfor different folks.

Noise?

It has been proven that the only place the noise can be heard is behind the bike, where it can already be seen. If you want noise tape the hornbutton down, but please stay out of my neighborhood where it's nice and quiet.

It has been proven

bearsfolks said:
It has been proven that the only place the noise can be heard is behind the bike, where it can already be seen. If you want noise tape the hornbutton down, but please stay out of my neighborhood where it's nice and quiet.

Damn, IÔÇÖm going to have to stay away from that Kryptonite stuff. I can hear a Harley coming at me a mile away. I must be related to Superman (my dadÔÇÖs going to be pissed @ mom). :fight

If you really thinik a loud bike is going to get folks attention, you must be dreaming...... If folks are going to read books, put on makeup, play with cell phones, etc,. I seriously doubt a loud bike is going to get their attention.

My Duc is loud, but I don't see any difference in drivers attention between the Duc and the GS with stock pipes.

Old debate, learn to ride safe. Just like we teach in MSF, don't depend on your horns (or any other noise) to get someones attention.....

dlearl said:
Our wonderful European bikes have a little feature on the right hand switch grip. Most people in the USA use this feature to alert (annoy) people in the oncoming lanes who refuse to dip their high beams, but its' actually called the "passing light". It is intended to be used to signal a leading driver of your intent to pass. It's a tradition we should work to spread in our country.

What a concept that would be, but on a continent where driver's licences come out of a box of Cracker Jacks, no wonder they don't know what the left lane is for to start with. Flashing wouldn't work here, even if they knew what it meant. Attitudes would have to change first.

I prefer a quiet bike. I couldn't imagine sitting on anything noisy for more than a hundred miles, if that.

Back